RRL, are you drinking it? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-25-2008, 03:39 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
YUM! i just had my first mug and it was delicious! just straight rrl and i could drink a lot of this for sure! it felt so good going down.

i did use an instant bag for my first round even tho i have loose leaf ...so i don't know if its different.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2008, 03:48 PM - Thread Starter

I usually let it steep 10+ minutes by the cup and then overnight for each pitcher. I like mine hot! It's been so cold here lately, I couldn't drink it cold. I need something to warm my bones! :

I'm about to have my first cup today in just a second. I finally placed my bulk order... I ordered a few lbs from the hfs just down from us. Their herbs come from a company in San Francisco. They gave me a 10% discount and I don't have to pay shipping. I have to sit down and work it out, to see if it was better to order through them... And I still have to order a couple of things from RMH, nettle and dandelion.

Fwiw, adding peppermint makes such a difference. I like my tea so much better with it!
Old 01-25-2008, 05:14 PM

Ok, I'm getting ready to order my bulk herbs. There are so many places out there, where should I order from?? Does any place also have reusable tea bags that I can buy too?

thanks!
Old 01-25-2008, 05:16 PM

I made a cup two days ago and it made my uterus really irritable. Not quite as hard as BH's but they felt way worse. I don't think I'm going to do the RRL again. I'm still nursing and I get enough nursing contractions that maybe I don't really need any additional toning with the RRL.

Anyone else think the RRL is too much for them?

Mom to DD ('06) and DS ('08)
Old 01-25-2008, 05:18 PM

I'm lurking from the May board, but do you all think it's okay to start drinking it at 25 weeks?

For the life of me, I can never remember when the third trimester starts.

Amanda and Dh, ds 09/00, ds 08/03, ds 10/05, and ds 05/08, and 3 :
Old 01-25-2008, 05:26 PM

I think 25 weeks is okay. Some people drink it throughout pg. If it makes you crampy, though, you should not drink it.

Mom to DD ('06) and DS ('08)
Old 01-25-2008, 05:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyH View Post
Ok, I'm getting ready to order my bulk herbs. There are so many places out there, where should I order from?? Does any place also have reusable tea bags that I can buy too?

thanks!
Hey! Rosemountainherbs seems to be popular, but it's on the west coast. Maybe, you should google for somewhere near you to save on shipping? Or is there a local hfs that will let you order it through them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by theatermom View Post
I'm lurking from the May board, but do you all think it's okay to start drinking it at 25 weeks?

For the life of me, I can never remember when the third trimester starts.
I've had rrl in my pregnancy tea from some time in the first trimester. Not as much as I'm drinking now though, at 28 weeks.
Old 01-25-2008, 05:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by paphia View Post
I made a cup two days ago and it made my uterus really irritable. Not quite as hard as BH's but they felt way worse. I don't think I'm going to do the RRL again. I'm still nursing and I get enough nursing contractions that maybe I don't really need any additional toning with the RRL.

Anyone else think the RRL is too much for them?
If you're nursing, then maybe the drinking rrl tea on top of that is just too much "exercise" for your uterus? Have you tried just drinking a pregnancy tea, like TM? It's got rrl in it, but not that much, and the nutrients from the other ingredients are worth it.
Old 01-25-2008, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyH View Post

thanks!
Mountain Rose Herbs gives Mothering a percentage if you order through this link:

"Support Mothering Through Mountain Rose Herbs
10% of your purchase of herbs, essential oils, and other natural health care products from Mountain Rose Herbs will be credited to Mothering if you click on this affiliate link to shop at their site:

http://www.mountainroseherbs.com/cgi...025454&BID=713 "
Old 01-25-2008, 11:02 PM

Mountain Rose Herbs is out of RRL bummer, wonder when they'll have more in stock.
Old 01-29-2008, 11:19 AM

Ummmm Ladies how do I combat the after taste I put some honey in it but did not want to put to much any suggestions on how to doc it up ?

hola.gif
Old 01-29-2008, 11:30 AM

sorry, i can't help ya, because i LIKE it! yum!

I have been having 2 cups a day and for the first time got some BH for a couple minutes in the store. i'm actually glad about it b/c i feel like my body did NO preparation with DS (rarely BH) and then had to do all the work labor day. but i don't know if the RRL had anything to do with that.

anyway, keep drinkin'!
Anyone doing Evening primrose oil, too? Maybe that should be a seperate thread.
Old 01-29-2008, 12:46 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkmama View Post
!

I have been having 2 cups a day and for the first time got some BH for a couple minutes in the store. i'm actually glad about it b/c i feel like my body did NO preparation with DS (rarely BH) and then had to do all the work labor day. but i don't know if the RRL had anything to do with that.
Same!

I didn't have ANY BH with DD and I felt like my body never prepared itself. When I finally did go into labor (induced , it's like my body wasn't ready.

So, yeah, I'm taking any "action" right now as a good sign

(Of course, I DID hold off drinking it earlier because I was feeling like there was too much action going on)

---Jessica---Livin' my life from A Peace.gif(1/05 ) to Z  jammin.gif(4/08 ).....and z babyf.gif(3/11)

Old 01-29-2008, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishereal View Post
Ummmm Ladies how do I combat the after taste I put some honey in it but did not want to put to much any suggestions on how to doc it up ?
What type are you drinking? Is it straight rrl tea? I find absolutely NO aftertaste with pure rrl tea, but HATE it mixed with nettles.
Old 01-29-2008, 01:21 PM

I forget the company that makes it but I got it from the health food store the company stores with an "A" I think, where do you get straight RRL tea from?

hola.gif
Old 01-29-2008, 04:10 PM

I get it at my local health food store as a bulk loose tea.

You can also order it directly from online co-op retailers like Frontier. Probably the easiest way for you to do that is to participate in one of the Frontier co-ops found here on the MCD Co-ops board.

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...play.php?f=168
Old 01-29-2008, 04:37 PM

Does anyone use a tea strainer/infuser/ball thingy? I just got my leaves today and wasn't thinking about the fact that I should strain them somehow...links appreciated!

Married to Mike blowkiss.gif(5/29/05) and mama to Emmie energy.gif (6/11/06), Chase superhero.gif(3/21/08) and our baby Parker lost at 16 weeks angel2.gif (2/22/10) , Sawyer joy.gif our rainbow1284.gif (7/11/11) and a girl baby.gif on the way in April! 
Old 01-29-2008, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommy Kahdib View Post
Does anyone use a tea strainer/infuser/ball thingy? I just got my leaves today and wasn't thinking about the fact that I should strain them somehow...links appreciated!
French press works GREAT and so easy to use and clean.
Old 01-31-2008, 02:01 AM

okay, so I'm new to this whole RRL tea thing, and actually new to tea making in general so this is embarassing..

so i got the tea bag kind and was wondering how i make it.

I'm not kidding unfortunately lol.

i made a few cups today and i think maybe i did it wrong because it tasted really watered down.

i used one tea bag for my first 2 cups (and it was watery) and then used 2 tea bags for my third mug full and it wasn't as watered down but I'm not sure if I'm doing it correctly.

how long do i leave the tea bags in there before i drink it?

how many (2g) tea bags should i be drinking per day?

can i reuse a tea bag? like just refill the cup with hot water?

pretty much any advice you can give me would be great.

oh gosh i sound so dumb.
:

"The most important work you and I will ever do will be within the walls of our own homes." -Harold B. Lee
Old 01-31-2008, 02:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishereal View Post
I put about 1/4 teaspoon of vanilla in mine tonight just to change it up and it was really yummy. ;0)
Old 01-31-2008, 02:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amandamanda View Post
okay, so I'm new to this whole RRL tea thing, and actually new to tea making in general so this is embarassing..

i made a few cups today and i think maybe i did it wrong because it tasted really watered down.

i used one tea bag for my first 2 cups (and it was watery) and then used 2 tea bags for my third mug full and it wasn't as watered down but I'm not sure if I'm doing it correctly.

oh gosh i sound so dumb.
:
All right this is my proceedure.

I take a little pot and fill it with about 3 cups of water. I take two tea bags and pull off the paper tags, then throw the tea bags in the water. I bring it up to boiling and let it boil for a couple minutes. I then turn off the oven and let it sit for 10-15 minutes. I usually do this in the evening and I drink one cup hot and then I let the rest steep over night so its really strong and drink that the next day. Don't re-use tea bags. You should drink at least 3 cups a day, I believe. Kathleen told me a quart a day and 3 cups is close to a quart.

Are you getting your tea bags from Natures Nook? I know its kinda pricey there, I ordered a pound of loose leaf and I have more than I need for me if you want some I can give it to you. ;0)
Old 01-31-2008, 02:26 AM

Double post
Old 01-31-2008, 03:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goddess3_2005 View Post
All right this is my proceedure.

I take a little pot and fill it with about 3 cups of water. I take two tea bags and pull off the paper tags, then throw the tea bags in the water. I bring it up to boiling and let it boil for a couple minutes. I then turn off the oven and let it sit for 10-15 minutes. I usually do this in the evening and I drink one cup hot and then I let the rest steep over night so its really strong and drink that the next day. Don't re-use tea bags. You should drink at least 3 cups a day, I believe. Kathleen told me a quart a day and 3 cups is close to a quart.

Are you getting your tea bags from Natures Nook? I know its kinda pricey there, I ordered a pound of loose leaf and I have more than I need for me if you want some I can give it to you. ;0)
hmm maybe i will try that. yeah i got mine today from natures nook (and actually had to fight a craving for sonic while i was there.. i suceeded!) and i got the one that was 30 bags for 3.99.. (why there was another brand of 24 bags for like 6 dollars i don't understand) and i figured it wasn't a big deal cuz that's like 13 cents a tea bag..

i think I'm going to try and tackle tea bags before i even begin to think about how i'd make it loose! but thanks for the offer and I'll let you know! do you know if there is anywhere in rexburg that sells the pill form of RRL?

that would work so much better.

"The most important work you and I will ever do will be within the walls of our own homes." -Harold B. Lee
Old 01-31-2008, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amandamanda View Post

oh gosh i sound so dumb.
:
i leave it in for about 20 minutes or whatever. Sometimes i forget and reheat it (the environmentally friendly MICROWAVE ). It does not taste watered down and i only use the bag once.

i am like you, i got loose leaf but am waiting to use it (but the french press does work well for it) until i get the hang of drinking it from the bags! i hope it tastes the same cuz these bags are YUM.
Old 02-03-2008, 10:13 PM

Just bumpin this up! Is everyone still remembering to drink??

I have had 2 cups to far today and I'm getting ready to have a 3rd.
Old 02-03-2008, 10:33 PM - Thread Starter

I got my bulk order, finally. We spent a few days this week down in Portland, so I'm behind on actually drinking my tea. Tonight!
Old 02-04-2008, 02:11 AM

I'm drinking a pot a day and thinking about perhaps increasing that amount. I'm really liking it a lot this pregnancy!
Old 02-04-2008, 11:26 AM

I have slacked off to one cup vs 1 pot because I was getting severe BH after I drank it but I am going to start again. I have some brewing right now.

I mix mine with peppermint also to snaz it up even though I like it either way. I went to my friends and she put cinnamon in hers it was delicious!
I add chamomile at night to help relax...

Depends on your tastes what you want to try to add to make it taste better for you. I LOVE TEA!!!

treehugger.gif Birth and PP doula, Mama to DD (7/04) DS (3/08)    belly.gifwith #3 EDD 11/29/13, and 30+ chicken3.gif , 2 ducks

Old 02-04-2008, 01:13 PM

On Saturday I tried making a pot using two RRL bags and one chamomile. In the evening my stomach was feeling strange and hard and it really freaked me out. I've been reading too many stories lately of women having premature babies (some at 24-27 weeks), so Sunday I cut it down to one bag of RRL and two bags of chamomile. I'll wait until I am term (37 weeks) before upping the concentration again, I just can't get past the worry.

Amy, mom to E superhero.gifsince April 2008 and C babyboy.gif since October 2011, wife to P since September 2006.

Old 02-09-2008, 01:21 AM - Thread Starter

Just checking in...

I've been drinking my tea in more in the evenings lately, while sitting on the birth ball. At least I can feel like I'm knocking two things out at once... More than I'm normally getting accomplished these days.

Sorry to hear some of you have had problems with the tea. If I felt "off" after drinking it, I wouldn't chance it.

User Tag List