RRL, are you drinking it? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 107 Old 01-21-2008, 09:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think everyone's near or in the third trimester now. If you were waiting to drink the tea, now is the time!

I've been drinking it fairly regularly, but I'm trying to get religious about it now. Anybody else? Maybe, we can check up on each other?
#2 of 107 Old 01-21-2008, 09:33 PM

Yup, I am drinking at least 1 cup a day although I know it should be more. I really need to step it up, I also need to pick up some more from the store.
#3 of 107 Old 01-21-2008, 09:38 PM

What kind are you supposed to get and where do you get it? I keep meaning too but I haven't been able to find any...

Rachel, proud Army wife to my superhero.gif and SAHM to my crazy boys jumpers.gif... Trevor 4/08, Trenton 6/09 and Travis 10/10
#4 of 107 Old 01-21-2008, 09:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyH View Post
Yup, I am drinking at least 1 cup a day although I know it should be more. I really need to step it up, I also need to pick up some more from the store.
I'm shooting for four cups a day right now. However, I'm still using bagged tea and it's getting expensive! I need to order some soon. Add that to my to-do list for this week.

Did you drink it before while pregnant, Christy? I'm really hoping that it's good for a speedy birth, but even more so that it helps eject the placenta faster... Not that it means anything for this pregnancy, but I had a retained placenta with dd and it was kind of scary for me and for dh.

ETA: Chely, there's a thread (long) here with lots of info. I'll find it for you. You can buy the bagged tea just about anywhere now, but I'm going to order loose leaf from www.mountainroseherbs.com. Off to find you the link.

RRL thread: http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=347728

ETAA: Try the coop, a hfs or even Fred Meyer for the bagged tea.
#5 of 107 Old 01-21-2008, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~ATenthMuse~ View Post
I'm shooting for four cups a day right now. However, I'm still using bagged tea and it's getting expensive! I need to order some soon. Add that to my to-do list for this week.

Did you drink it before while pregnant, Christy? I'm really hoping that it's good for a speedy birth, but even more so that it helps eject the placenta faster... Not that it means anything for this pregnancy, but I had a retained placenta with dd and it was kind of scary for me and for dh.
Yeah I need to get up to 3-4 cups a day! I need to make a pitcher of it and drink on it all day.

I've never had it during pregnancy before so I don't have anything to compare it to, I wish I did. I've heard so many great stories though that I'm hoping it has a positive effect during labor
#6 of 107 Old 01-21-2008, 09:53 PM

I've been drinking a pregnancy blend from a local herbalist that includes RRL. I probably get it in at least 4 days a week and am trying to increase that. It's so yummy!
#7 of 107 Old 01-21-2008, 09:56 PM

Not yet, but I just picked up a 1/2 pound at the health food store on Sunday!

I need to brew some up and get going.
#8 of 107 Old 01-21-2008, 10:42 PM

I drink a quart daily of a strong infusion of RRL, nettle and peppermint (1/4c each of nettle & RRL, 1/8c. peppermint). In my last pregnancy I just drank just the RRL for the last 6 weeks of my pregnancy and I think it might have helped make labor faster and easier. I had one of those super fast and easy labors that I always complained about being jealous about. Don't want to go faster than last time (MW didn't make it ) but I do feel that it a great uterine tonic and provides good minerals. This time I've been adding the nettle and peppermint on the advice of my MW, she suggests the nettle for building blood volume and all the great easily absorbable minerals it provides and the peppermint for relaxation and digestion. I have to say I'm actually enjoying drinking it this time around, it feels very nourishing

I typically make 2 quarts at a time from bulk herbs in glass jars and put them both in the fridge. I strain them as I pour them in a glass and sometimes add a little honey. Between my chiro visits and my daily infusion I hope to have an easy labor again

~Rebecca~
mama to a sweet girl , & 4 silly boys

#9 of 107 Old 01-21-2008, 10:44 PM

I finally got a pound in (They were out of nettles, grr) and I have been drinking at least a quart a day. I have a big gallon jar that I am going to make up and drink it all day. I wonder if it matters if i drink more tea than water?
#10 of 107 Old 01-21-2008, 11:27 PM - Thread Starter

Celestial! Now, that does worry me a bit. My midwife is in Oly and I'm 20 miles + south. I don't think I'd complain much if it was that fast though!

I'm drinking mine with some nettle, too. I've been using some quart-size glass pitchers from Ikea. I mix it up the night before, if I remember. If not, I just make it in the morning. I peppermint tea! Mixing it up with different teas, makes me not mind drinking it so much.

When I place my bulk order, I want to get the rrl, nettle, alfalfa, dandelion... Think that's it.
#11 of 107 Old 01-21-2008, 11:30 PM

I'm drinking a pot (1L I think) of RRL most days. The only place I've seen it around here is at the Bulk Barn where they sell bags. I'm almost out, I need to add it to the grocery list for Friday!

mama to the Girls (15, 14, 13) and the Littles (5, 3) 
#12 of 107 Old 01-21-2008, 11:50 PM

I bought a lb of each RRL and Nettles. I have been drinking 4 cups every night. I like it warm not cold so I drink it fast... I hope it doesn't matter. Its been so : here I can't even drink water cold. I drink it at room temp.

I also add Spearmint or Peppermint. Some days I add alfalfa, chamomile,, or rose hips to change it up a little bit.

my friend found RRL (organic) for $5.55 a lb nettles was $5.00 lb ... plus shipping. www.godsgreenearth.net for those one the east coast this might be cheaper than shipping from mountain rose on the west coast.

treehugger.gif Birth and PP doula, Mama to DD (7/04) DS (3/08)    belly.gifwith #3 EDD 11/29/13, and 30+ chicken3.gif , 2 ducks

#13 of 107 Old 01-22-2008, 12:05 AM

I have a bunch from a year and 1/2 ago. Do you think it is still good? I want to start drinking it soon.
#14 of 107 Old 01-22-2008, 12:08 AM

Wow, y'all are making my 1 cup a day look so measly. I just went down and fixed a big double mug full! lol

I really need to get to the health food store around here and stock up, I'm hoping to make and drink a pitcher a day. My last labor and delivery were so easy and fast and that was with no RRL tea, I'm anxious to see what it would do for this labor!
#15 of 107 Old 01-22-2008, 12:28 AM

I have been drinking it semi regularly since 2nd trimester (too paranoid of the tonic effects in 1st)...I just bought a lb from Bulk Herbs and it is pretty good (has a combination of nettle, RRL, peppermint, alfalfa). I also picked up their Mother's milk blend so I am ready to go My last labor was 4 hours from start to finish and I only drank 1 cup a day so I am hoping that 2 or 3x that amount will result in that much speedier results!!
#16 of 107 Old 01-22-2008, 12:36 AM

Does anyone know what the "labor RRL drink" is? I went down the RRL thread a bit but it is a million pages long. I heard something about drinking a super concentrated variation as hot as one could tolerate but thought I would ask to be sure.

Thanks!!
#17 of 107 Old 01-22-2008, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treehuggermama View Post
Does anyone know what the "labor RRL drink" is? I went down the RRL thread a bit but it is a million pages long. I heard something about drinking a super concentrated variation as hot as one could tolerate but thought I would ask to be sure.

Thanks!!
That's what I heard too, it's supposed to be like 1/2 gallon I think and as strong and as hot as you can handle it. I need to see if I can find the post because I remember seeing it, you are also supposed to drink it as fast as you can.
#18 of 107 Old 01-22-2008, 12:45 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by treehuggermama View Post

Thanks!!
I know I saw it, but can't remember where in the world it is on that thread. I'll try to find it.
#19 of 107 Old 01-22-2008, 02:25 AM

Here are the directions I copied from that long RRL thread:

'One ounce of raspberry leaves pour one pint of boiling water, cover and let steep for 30 minutes. Strain, and when the time for delivery is approaching drink the whole as hot as possible.'

Sounds easy enough- I'm going to do it.

As I have posted before, in my last pregnancy I drank 3-4 cups of RRL each day in the 2nd and 3rd trimesters and ended up with a 4.5 hour labor. Not bad for a first timer! This time I am only drinking about 16oz 4-5 times a week- its going to take my midwife at least an hour to get here!
#20 of 107 Old 01-22-2008, 05:25 AM

Hmm, I'd always heard that spearmint was a big no no during pregnancy.

I try to get my RRL, peppermint, nettle and chamomile tea in daily, though
I sometimes forget
#21 of 107 Old 01-22-2008, 08:42 AM

I think I drank 1 cup/day when pregnant with DD. Now I see that I should up the dosage this time around. My labor with her was still just over 12 hours (from my water breaking naturally to pushing her out). I might go for 2-3 cups/day.
#22 of 107 Old 01-22-2008, 10:29 AM

I have never had any, but am very interested. i think i'll buy some...but i'm not a huge "drinker". hmmmm....another good encouagement thread.

My first labor was 28 hours long and from about 2-3 hours into contractions they were at least 5 minutes a part until i got to 3-4cm when they were one on top of another for another 20 some hours. it was horrible, horrendous, never want to do it again. i had never heard or RRL.

So in short, , would like to do this!
#23 of 107 Old 01-22-2008, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Datura View Post
Hmm, I'd always heard that spearmint was a big no no during pregnancy.
I will have to look into that. It isn't forbidden on any of my lists...

treehugger.gif Birth and PP doula, Mama to DD (7/04) DS (3/08)    belly.gifwith #3 EDD 11/29/13, and 30+ chicken3.gif , 2 ducks

#24 of 107 Old 01-22-2008, 10:46 AM

Don't forget to drink today! I so need this thread to make sure I get at least 3-4 cups a day now.

I'm sitting here right now drinking a double mug and I need to order more supplies so I don't run out.

I'm going to drink another mug after lunch.
#25 of 107 Old 01-22-2008, 11:19 AM

Can you drink too much???? Sometimes I want more tea ( I was a big coffee drinker) and I like the warmness in my hands...

I drink usually 4 cups a day... but sometimes I want another whole pot... Too much or not?

#26 of 107 Old 01-22-2008, 11:33 AM

I just had my first cup this morning! Here's hoping my labor is less than 14 hours (my shortest so far )

"Parents are simply trustees; they do not own the bodies of their children"-Norm Cohen  Martial arts instructor intactlact.gifhomebirth.jpgnak.gif and mom to 4: DD1 (1/05) DS (7/06) DD2 (5/08) DD3 (2/11)
#27 of 107 Old 01-22-2008, 01:08 PM

Does anyone else find this makes them very crampy and braxton hicks-y? Or is it just me?

Mama to nine gorgeous babies, with finale #10 due April'14.
#28 of 107 Old 01-22-2008, 01:26 PM

Hurray for this thread! I need to remember to drink it, I keep forgetting. I think I should go buy a bigger mug...

Katie
#29 of 107 Old 01-22-2008, 01:30 PM
cmi

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
After reading some of the big long thread, I started making my 2nd trimester brew with 2 Tbs RRL, about a half Tbs nettles, a few lemon verbena leaves (I had harvested and dried some from our garden and they seemed to make it taste better), and some rosehips. I put that in a pint jar and steep it overnight and drink it in the morning. I guess as I move into the third trimester I should get out a quart jar and go up to 3 Tbs RRL. I will have to look into the online herb stores because I'm paying about $20 per pound at my local Co-op.
#30 of 107 Old 01-22-2008, 01:39 PM

I'm drinking mine right now! I was feeling guilty that I'd only been doing 1 mug/day, but I just realized that I have a really mug. It's a little over a pint, so I really just need to double that to get a quart.

ChistyH.....where are you getting your tea? Somewhere local? I've been doing tea bags, but it's getting pricey & I want to find somewhere that sells loose tea. Unfortunately, Douglasville hasn't got a lot to offer . I want to have a destination in mind before I start driving all over the city!

So, I have a question about the Labor RRL....I understand making it really strong, but why does it need to be as hot as you can take it? Does it relax the uterus or stimulate something? Does anybody know?

---Jessica---Livin' my life from A Peace.gif(1/05 ) to Z  jammin.gif(4/08 ).....and z babyf.gif(3/11)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page