ugh - why do i keep craving sweets first thing in the morning? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 01-31-2008, 11:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It's getting annoying when all of my regular breakfast choices sound terrible. The only things that sound appealing are sugary cereal, baked sweets and chocolate. I don't usally give in, because we don't have that stuff around very often. Then I just wander around for while without eating and then turn irritable from low blood sugar.

I guess I should bake some muffins or something similar to have available.

(please don't suggest fruit - blech )
#2 of 5 Old 01-31-2008, 12:40 PM

are you waking at night for a snack?

I started keeping hard boiled eggs in the fridge for middle of the night and that protein boost has helped curbed my sweet craving.

I know what you mean fruit blech... only fruit I can actually do right now are oranges and occaisionally a pear. Dried fruit in my oatmeal/granola but not much more...

ETA my mw says that sugar cravings almost always mean you need more protein, or that your sources of protein aren't complete. My friends Naturopath said the same thing.

ETA again to say that eggs are 100% biocompatible sources of protein for humans.
#3 of 5 Old 01-31-2008, 12:47 PM - Thread Starter

Right now I am grateful not to be waking much at night, not even to pee.

My compromise for this morning was to make oatmeal and add a little brown sugar - not bad at all. I probably should have added some chopped nuts for the protein. Funny you should mention eggs, I just boiled 1/2 dozen of them for the fridge!

And I don't mind fruit that much - I just don't like fruit suggested to me as an alternative to "real" sweets. Fruit is nice, but it's NOT dessert.
#4 of 5 Old 02-01-2008, 12:51 AM

Wow, I'm glad I'm not the only one making up giant batches of boiled eggs. I'll do a half dozen, eat 3 soft boiled with bread on the first day and let the other 3 go until hard boiled. Those I stick in the fridge for either a quick snack or warmed up with butter in the microwave for the next day's breakfast. Drives the DH crazy because he says it "makes the fridge smell like a fart."

I've been keeping dried apricots on hand and they seem to help with the sudden sugar cravings and have iron. That said, there are some mornings I start with a handful of peanut M&M's
#5 of 5 Old 02-01-2008, 03:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snugglebutter View Post
It's getting annoying when all of my regular breakfast choices sound terrible. The only things that sound appealing are sugary cereal, baked sweets and chocolate. I don't usally give in, because we don't have that stuff around very often. Then I just wander around for while without eating and then turn irritable from low blood sugar.
In my personal experience, sugar cravings are the result of a blood sugar crash. When you get up in the morning, how long has it been since you last ate? Eating protein helps stabilize blood sugar, so I'd probably recommend keeping something high protein on your night stand and having a small snack right before bed and right when you wake up in the morning. Then, when you get up and start looking for breakfast, your blood sugar will hopefully stabilize and you won't crave the sugary stuff.

Ok, having said that, there are some ways to sneak in something sweet without overdoing it. (Like oatmeal with brown sugar! ) A tablespoon of maple syrup or jam can go add just enough sweetness to pancakes or toast. You can freeze fruit juice or yogurt to make popsicles. Some high quality, high-cocoa chocolates have surprisingly little sugar. Because of a health condition, I also resort to Splenda once in a while, although only when I'm fighting a really bad craving and it prevents me from eating half a chocolate cake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Datura View Post
Wow, I'm glad I'm not the only one making up giant batches of boiled eggs.
I boil 18 at a time. But it's not all for me. My DD is a hard-boiled egg fanatic.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page