my appt yesterday :) and question about measuring 'behind' - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-01-2008, 12:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i finally got to see the one midwife at our hospital yesterday!!
she was AMAZING! omg i love her!! i hope shes the one delivering sprout!!
anyways, we went over my birth plan and she agreed with it all even the no vax thing. she laughed and said 'what baby is going to pick up hep B anyways?'
then we discussed the GSB and she said if i make the appt with her then i can swipe myself . i asked her if i am positive and i refuse treatment or come in too late what happens. she highly highly suggested i just not come in until the baby is right there ready to come out to avoid IVs and treatment, she pointed out of course the dr's wouldn't feel that way but that they are crazy and its AOK. she told me again they'll tell meto come in when my water breaks but just to not listen to them man i love her. she said go ahead and just labor at home thats sooo what i want to do!! PLUS: she said that they won't automatically give the baby vax for the GSB only if baby shows signs of needing it!

ok i feel like theres more i have to say but i cant rememebr now... ughh..
ok the one thing that worries me a tiny bit is that this whole time the baby has been measuring right on track butthis last appt sprout is measuring at 31 weeks and im 33 weeks. she wasnt too worried b/c she said its 2cm or less of a difference but what could that mean? what am i doing wrong? or is this babe maybe just goignot be smaller? she even had a had time finding the baby in my belly b/c s'hes so small. but the heart rate is great etc.
ok gotta run bbl with more

Waldorf mama to Autumn DD 9/05 and my Spring DD 4/08 Winter baby due 2/11
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2008, 01:33 PM

I wouldn't worry about the measurements unless A) it continues week after week and B) You LOOK far too small for your dates. Just keep a kick count, or buy a stethoscope. Or both, if you suddenly get paranoid and the baby happens to be in sleep mode, you can just check the heartbeat.
And that's GREAT about your midwife. It's always wonderful to hear when someone finds a good, trustworthy birth assistant that they're right in tune with. Good luck to you and happy birthing.
Old 03-01-2008, 02:29 PM

Great question about measuring small. I'm 33 weeks and measured 28 weeks at my last appointment a couple days ago. I also measured 28 weeks at my 31 week appointment. My doctor scheduled an ultrasound in a few days just to check growth and fluid levels; however, she thinks that it's most likely just the way I carry. I have a longer torso and have been measuring small-ish all along. I'll let you know what I find out. What makes me feel better, is that my sister (who just had a baby a year ago) measured really small too and kind of stalled in growth at this point in her pregnancy (she "grew" a lot when my neice dropped). I'm thinking it's just the way we carry. The baby's heart rate and activity levels are perfect too, which makes me feel good!

Congrats on the great appointment with the midwife!
Old 03-07-2008, 12:25 PM

I just wanted to let you know that I had my ultrasound a couple days ago and everything looked great. And, not only is he measuring right on target (as far as structures and head to belly size, etc), he's a big baby! They are estimating 8.5-9lbs if I deliver on my due date (who knows though, ultrasounds aren't always that accurate on weight). So I guess that just goes to show that belly measurements only mean so much (occasionally they mean a small baby or an issue, but often it's just the way you carry). Now I'm totally okay now with measuring 5 weeks behind; it just makes it easier for me to get around! I just wanted to let you know how everything turned out and encourage you not to worry! Belly size only means so much!
Old 03-07-2008, 12:47 PM - Thread Starter

thank you everyone and thank you tara for the update!!
i have my next appt next friday so im anxious to see what they say then.
i remember with dd they said shes bea huge baby but luckily they were wrong, she was 7lbs 9 oz

Waldorf mama to Autumn DD 9/05 and my Spring DD 4/08 Winter baby due 2/11
Old 03-07-2008, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by counterGOPI View Post
last appt sprout is measuring at 31 weeks and im 33 weeks.
Me too! Yesterday I was measuring 31 wks at my 33 wk appt.

The fundal height measurements are a useful for trend data....that is, is the uterus's trend:
-getting bigger
-staying the same
or
-shrinking?

So, for both you and me, measuring 31 wks is bigger than the last time we were measured. If, at our next appts we're both still measuring 31 wks, then there might be a reason for caring, or having a disucssion. (Discussion topic #1 being: is it the SAME PERSON measuring you each time? measurements can very from care provider to care provider...and as you mentioned, it was your first time w/ this mw.)

HTH

User Tag List