Kaboom!!!!!!!!! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 03-03-2008, 11:55 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Is what an exercise ball sounds like when it explodes!!!!!!

So while I was replying to the "what did you get done this weekend" thread at 4am this morning the exercise ball I was sitting on exploded beneath me. I landed backwards on the hardwood floor, mostly on elbows and head. Dh jumped out of bed to see what happened and to help me (while I writhed in pain on the floor, screaming and hypervenilating). I was in excruciating pain for a while. I seriously thought I had shattered both my elbows. He got me situated on the couch and wrapped me in blankets and a hot water bottle because I was starting to shake, got me about 6 arnica homeopathic pills and went to the office to get the cold laser unit. It's not like we had the option to go the hospital or anything, really. The kids were both sleeping, we don't really have anyone who would be able to come and watch them, I didn't want to go through the hassle of "who is your prenatal provider" line of questioning etc etc. So I decided to stay home and laser the heck out of my elbow. After the first 2 1/2 minute session the pain had subsided by about 80%. I repeated the treatment and did some microcurrent electric stim on the joints as well. I have minimal swelling/bruising right now (that's because I did the laser treatments almost immediately after injuring myself). I can move both my arms but am still very guarded, as in I don't think I'll be lifting anything or really doing anything today. and the only place that really hurts is the place on the sides of my elbows that actually hit the ground. I'll probably get an xray from a colleague as soon as I can arrange it.
I just remember lying there on the floor screaming, right after it happened, thinking, I can't have two broken arms for the remainder of my pregnancy!!!!!

Drama, drama. I've hurt myself so many times during this pregnancy!!!!
#2 of 16 Old 03-03-2008, 12:13 PM

Jeezum CROW, woman!

What the heck happenned? How the heck did it BREAK?!? I'm so sorry you hurt yourself so badly! That woulda scared the crap out of me! In fact... I probably would have peed myself! Did you?!? *Giggle!*

You have had the WORST luck this pregnancy! I think you'd better go get in bed and just NOT move the rest of gestation. And make sure the bed is on the floor so it can't explode or you can't fall off it!
#3 of 16 Old 03-03-2008, 12:19 PM

OMG how scary! This is a big fear of mine...I checked and checked the ball I ordered for a weight limit (not saying your broke from weight limit, just making conversation...) and it didnt say anything. I am hoping this is because it takes up to 1000lbs and there is no need to mention a weight limit, not because its so pointedly clear than no one over 125lbs should use it that they dont bother putting one on there....

Mama to nine gorgeous babies, with finale #10 due April'14.
#4 of 16 Old 03-03-2008, 12:37 PM

I am so glad you are ok!
How did it pop? What is a cold laser unit?
I am happy you don't have broken anything! Thats not anything anyone needs this close to the end!

treehugger.gif Birth and PP doula, Mama to DD (7/04) DS (3/08)    belly.gifwith #3 EDD 11/29/13, and 30+ chicken3.gif , 2 ducks

#5 of 16 Old 03-03-2008, 12:51 PM - Thread Starter

It popped, literally in half. I wasn't bouncing on it or anything. Just sitting here typing. I weigh 170ish now... hardly enough to be concerned about popping the ball I would think.
And it's a brand new ball, I bought it on tuesday, so it's not like it's old and may have had a crack or some weakness in it.

I'm afraid to get another one but it's the only thing that is comfortable at this point.

A cold laser unit is a newer therapy that chiropractors (and other hc providers) use to promote healing in tissue, modulate pain, and reduce inflammation. Studies have shown that cells heal faster (like 80 times faster or 80% faster or something, I forget the actual statistic) when exposed to light. A cold laser penetrates the tissue and delivers light to the injured tisse. Any injury can benefit from cold laser therapy, including surgical wounds, broken bones, the list goes on and on.
You can bet dh will be bringing this home in between patients after the baby is born and my perineum will be getting plenty of "light" I'm curious to see how it will help my abdomen recover as well. It'll be my little postpartum experiment
#6 of 16 Old 03-03-2008, 01:26 PM

I got light therapy on my perineum too with my last birth- but it was just the old fashioned kind that didn't penetrate-essentially a lamp shined on my hoohoo. Felt GREATthough.

That sounds like a nifty gadget! Awesome to hear it's working! I think today has to be an official day off for you! s
#7 of 16 Old 03-03-2008, 01:36 PM

See, this is exactly why I'm afraid to sit on mine. Mine is several years old though and I just don't trust it.

I'm so glad that you're okay!

---Jessica---Livin' my life from A Peace.gif(1/05 ) to Z  jammin.gif(4/08 ).....and z babyf.gif(3/11)

#8 of 16 Old 03-03-2008, 01:49 PM

Oh OUCH! I hope your elbows are okay! I have a birth ball that supposedly will deflate slowly if broken. If you decide you want a different one I got mine from a homebirth supply store and I can tell you what the name on the ball is. That seriously would give me a heart attack to have that happen!

~Rebecca~
mama to a sweet girl , & 4 silly boys

#9 of 16 Old 03-03-2008, 04:02 PM

Yikes! I'm glad you're feeling better though.

I think they make balls that are labeled "burst-resistant" now...

WOHM to Leo (4/08) reading.gif and enjoying the journey with DH geek.gif

Announcing the arrival of Clara in August 2013! homebirth.jpg

#10 of 16 Old 03-03-2008, 06:55 PM

SCARY! I'm glad you're feeling better, even if your birth ball isn't.

Me+DH+DS1+DS2+Dog=me and a house full of guys, which is really just peachy, thanks.
#11 of 16 Old 03-03-2008, 07:07 PM

Holy cow, that is scary. I hope you heal quickly.
#12 of 16 Old 03-03-2008, 07:40 PM

Um, ouch ouch ouch!

Mama to twin girls Adele and Nadia, born 5/2008
#13 of 16 Old 03-03-2008, 10:57 PM - Thread Starter

now... I feel like I was in a major car wreck last night.
My whole body is aching and sore, especially my lower back and neck. I screamed when dh adjusted my elbow earlier but I can move it around more now and the pain was only momentary.

It never crossed my mind that those things could burst. I should call the company.

CD- what's the brand of your ball??? I don't think I have time to order it. I'd rather just go and see what Target or Dicks carries in the burst resistant variety.
#14 of 16 Old 03-03-2008, 11:09 PM

Make sure it says anti burst.. or it isn't. I think the rubber is integrated with cloth to keep it from exploding.

Not good. Heal fast <3.
#15 of 16 Old 03-03-2008, 11:12 PM

What brand did you have that burst? I'm kinda worried now! I got mine just from a local walmart...nothin special...I dont think it claimed to be burst proof

"Parents are simply trustees; they do not own the bodies of their children"-Norm Cohen  Martial arts instructor intactlact.gifhomebirth.jpgnak.gif and mom to 4: DD1 (1/05) DS (7/06) DD2 (5/08) DD3 (2/11)
#16 of 16 Old 03-04-2008, 07:42 AM - Thread Starter

B fit.

It was from Kmart.

I'm calling them tomorrow. I'm not sure what I should say....

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page