Our girl is here and oh guys... she makes the cutest little noises! Her head is SOO Soft! As Elleystar said-I didn't screw around... and to be honest, it was a close thing to make it to the hospital. I started making deep growling pushing noises about 20 minutes out of the town where the hospital is. But I really wasn't convinced we were ready-she felt like she was in the same position she'd been in for weeks-high and totally disengaged. I was SO shocked when my midwife checked me and we found her head was only about an inch from crowning. Seriously-I never felt her descend!
Pushing after crowinging took longer than with my first child. Whew. Once her head was out, she didn't just slither out-it was a lot of work to still get her out. I remember telling my midwife just to pull her OUT already! But I guess that's to be expected with a 5'1" person pushes out a 9'13" kid! Woo!
She's a little porker-already has fat wrinkles. She latched on right away and nursed for a good 20 minutes on each side and after a break, was asking for more!
Well, the sad news is that just like our first daughter, she's developed destats and her O2 level has dropped once to about 74-and they like it in the 90's. So, she just earned a trip down to the NICU for observation-though we aren't officially admitting her yet. They're pretty freaked out about GBS, since I was positive and the lab marked the test "MANY colonies." They're running a second set of bloodwork so they can start to establish a pattern, as she is pumping out white blood cells (though they're immature at this point.) That could be due to either stress (duh!) or infection. The second set of labs will help answer the question of whether or not it's stress. If it looks like infection, then we get antibiotics. If so, I'll need your helpful advice how to reestablish all the good gut flora! I'm fairly confident this will turn out just fine-our 1st DD was there for about 6 hours with similar symptoms and just needed a little extra TLC to pink up. But, we could sure use your positive thoughts just the same.
Thanks for all your well wishes! Your time is comin soon ladies! Hang in there!
We just chatted with the neonatologist. Our girl is still having a lot of trouble breathing. Her white blood cell count is still elevating-so we're not out of the woods in terms of possible GBS infection. An ex-ray shows an enlarged heart. It's not humngo- the average for an infant is a chest to heart ratio of .6 and hers is a .67 (an adult is .5) So, we're waiting for results from an ultrasound and pronouncement from a neonatal cardiologist for a determination of a congenital defect or just a heart that had to work harder in the last few weeks due to an old placenta. Essentially, we're playing a waiting game, but we're looking at a minimum stay of at least three days for her, starting today. She's on oxygen, with her head in a bubble, so I can't hold her, and they don't want her eating yet, so I'm just pumping and storing colostrum. I just wanna cuddle my girl! Pleh!
I'll get pictures on my blog ASAP!
Mama to Eleanore Rae, born April 6, 2008 & Adelaide Jane, born December 16, 2010, Cautiously expecting #3 September 10, 2013
I blog! Check my profile for the link
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Melanie, Mum to DD1 (April 2008), DD2 (August 2010) and excepting #3 Feb 2012.
congratulations mama and i hope she heals quickly and you get to hold her in your arms and snuggle her soon. hang in there, you are doing great!
I just talked to Alpaca, and she's getting discharged today. :
Any spare thought you've got would be much appreciated! I know it's going to be so hard on her to have to be home, an hour away from her sweet LO. Unless the ped has earth shattering news this afternoon, it's not looking like baby's going anywhere very soon either. They were originally thinking Friday, but now it looks like she'll be lucky to even be off the O2 and eating by this weekend.
Just got off the phone again...after poor Alpaca cried her eyes out, the Drs. came by with more news. They are putting Kate in a crib, taking the O2 bubble off her, and they get to start breastfeeding here...in about an hour! SO, since there's a need to keep Alpaca, she's not being discharged for another day as well!
*snif* this is really hard...being almost 38 weeks myself, and going through this rollercoaster ride w/ my best friend...ah, hormones! Need I say more?