Mothering Forum banner

Q's for the pediatrician?

476 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  xekomaya 
#1 ·
I have a prenatal consultation today with a pediatrician who I *think* will be the right one. He comes highly recommended from like-minded mamas and his staff has been very nice so far..

So anyway, I'm looking for a list of questions to go over -- something like the list for interviewing a midwife but only for, ya know, babies

Anyone know where I can find such a thing? Or have any top questions that I shouldn't forget?

See less See more
#2 ·
If selelctive/delayed/non vax, I would make sure you won't get dismissed from the practice. Make sure they are sympathetic minded.

Make sure they are up to date on care of the intact penis if a boy (also if circumcising, you might want to even make sure they are not one of the 'rip the adhesions back' type doctors)

Try to get an idea of how they see breastfeeding and their knowledge on that.

I would also find out if they see themselves to be in a position to give parenting advice, which usually is what causes a lot of headaches that I see-- people don't want to be lectures on extended nursing or cosleeping when they go in to have a cold checked out.

Maybe try to find out if they are on the same "laid back/ not laid back" level as you. I left our pediatrician for a family doctor because they were just too alarmist for me.

#3 ·
I had found a good thread w/ questions for the pedi on this site somewhere... but I just searched for you with no luck!!!

I asked open ended questions so that I got a sense of their real philosophy instead of giving them opportunities to say 'yes' or 'no'...

for instance, instead of asking whether they support breastfeeding, I asked
'What would your recommendation be in the case of a slow weight gaining breast fed baby?' (I was looking for a 'depends on the cause' answer, with the words lactation consultant mentioned as opposed to 'formula supplementation')

In addition to what Carrie has mentioned, we also asked about their thoughts on antibiotics use.

We took the time in the waiting room to speak with a parent whose children sees the same pedi, and her glowing review was reassuring!

Good luck to you

#4 ·
Thanks! Thats great advice.

Our appt. got postponed to Monday so I have a little more time to write out the questions I want to ask and hopefully find nice wording.

I'm sure there have been threads on this too - I'll keep searching and maybe come up with something. I was expecting to find it stickied somewhere like Life with a babe but no luck

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.