My awesome birth story :)! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 04-30-2008, 11:33 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Brendan was born at 6:27 PM on Friday, April 11. He was 7 lbs and 20 inches.

My water broke at about 7:30 in the morning. I got up at about 7 to have breakfast because I was STARVING and went to the bathroom-I noticed a weird watery discharge but there wasn't a lot so I went and had breakfast. I had a bowl of Life cereal while sitting on the floor of my living room watching tv. I suddenly felt funny and decided to get up. When I woke up I felt the gush! I squeezed my legs together and ran downstairs-it only ended up on my underwear and pjs. DH asked if it was time and I told him my water broke and there it went gushing in the toilet and while I put my contacts in. We grabbed the bags and left! When I got to the hospital he dropped me off at the door and I RAN inside because I had a really big gush. While I was begging the volunteers for a wheelchair it leaked all over into my shoes! I got upstairs and I got to skip triage (YAY!)-it was VERY obvious by looking at me what happened. I got into my room and settled and after my hour monitoring I went walking. I had to be on monitors for 20 minutes out of every hour and kept walking otherwise. I had lots of water, popsicles, suckers, etc-it was great! When I had progressed to about 8 cm I told them I needed to push-they kept telling me no and I started hyperventalating-yuck (he was already +2)! I ended up getting an epidural but the second he got it in they told me to start pushing. I ended up with Pitocin because my contractions slowed a lot. An hour and a half of pushing and playing tug-of-war with a sheet w/DH (highly recommend it-worked great) Brendan came and I couldn't help but cry ! His Apgar scores were 8 and 9 just because he wasn't holding temp. We did have the vacuum because he was getting really tired at the very end so he had a little bruise but not too bad. I ended up feeling all the contractions at the end-my legs never went completely numb. I was very proud I made it as far as I did and hope I can go all the way next time ! I on the other hand had difficulties after-I was bleeding and passing huge clots and they were worried I was hemorrhaging. I didn't get to hold Brendan for a few minutes because they had to push out a bunch of clots-THAT hurt! We tried feeding but didn't have success. I went to my room and walked out of the wheelchair and then called the nurse because I wanted to go potty-I walked there by myself. I ended up having 2 stitches because I tore before he even crowned. We had A LOT of issues feeding and I ended up having to use formula-we found out he was tongue tied. Sunday after he was born he tested mod-high for bilirubin so we took him to his first ped appointment Monday (the morning after we got home) and after another trip to the hospital found out we needed to feed every 1 1/2-2 hours. We had to go back for a heel prick again Tuesday and they wanted us to do bililights but he just started nursing because I met with a lc at the hospital after his Monday tongue clip. They gave me another day and it was down on Wednesday and down even further by Friday (18th). Wednesday after he was born I got rear-ended taking him to the hospital though. He made his first ER trip-low impact accident but wanted to make sure everything was ok. He was doing really well sleeping 4 or 5 hours at night but last night he was back to eating every 2 hours-hopefully it's just a growth spurt because he didn't want to sleep AT ALL last night! He is almost 3 weeks though! At his Pediatrician appointment last week he was 7 lb 6 oz so above his birth weight and had grown 1/2 inch and his head had grown 1/2 inch more too! Guess he's getting plenty to eat !

Ashley-wife of a grad student. Homeschooling, CDing, knitting mommy of Monkey 4/08 and Kangaroo 1/11 with 3 angels waiting in heaven
Hyena cart WAH mama!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 04-30-2008, 02:25 PM

Congratulations! Welcome, Brendan!

Mama to twin girls Adele and Nadia, born 5/2008
#3 of 4 Old 04-30-2008, 04:03 PM

Congrats to you! You sound so happy. Enjoy your babymoon.

Jenn, perpetually tired mom to DS(9): DD(4.5): DD(2) :
#4 of 4 Old 05-04-2008, 08:00 AM

congrats! :

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page