Birth Control Plans? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 41 Old 05-02-2008, 12:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Alright...Mollie is only a week old, but I'm already starting to think about DTD. I'm not ready physically and we have no birth control plans, but I'm thinking about it. I hate condoms and don't want anything hormonal that may interfere with my milk supply or always pleasant disposition. I'm also not sure about an IUD...just don't really want something inside me. Plus I know several women who have gotten pregnant with an IUD. We're not at a point to say we are for sure done having kids, so its not time for the big V. So what options do I have? What are y'all planning to do?
#2 of 41 Old 05-02-2008, 12:38 PM

Call me old fashion, but we are planning on using condoms and pulling-out method.
I know- it's risky. But, this worked for us for two years. And I hate the Pill.

:
Plus... I think we are going to start trying again in Feb.
#3 of 41 Old 05-02-2008, 12:43 PM

We always wanted 4 kids, we now have 4 kiddos and I can honestly say now that I'm done. DH is going in for the big V in early summer after his busy time at work.
#4 of 41 Old 05-02-2008, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORLY? View Post

:
Plus... I think we are going to start trying again in Feb.
oh my gosh i cannot even imagine!!! go you!!!

wow between the time it took TTC and the time being preggo i had totally forgotten about birth control. i like my cervical cap (femcap) a lot. no chemicals and nothing the OB has to put inside you. but i guess i need to be refitted now that i've had the kiddo...just realized that.
#5 of 41 Old 05-02-2008, 12:56 PM

We are planning to use condoms. They are not my favorite but I HATE being on the pill and an IUD is not an option(the thought of something sitting in my uterus creeps me out). I have to admit that we will use the old pull out method occationally.
We have been using this method for years and has worked well for us. There are some condoms that are not so bad.

my two boys 9-2004 dup2(q13,q23) and 3-2008
#6 of 41 Old 05-02-2008, 12:58 PM

I think I'm going to go back to charting, and probably use a diaphragm as well. My m/w recommends it and will fit me for one. I was on the Pill for 9 years...never ever again!

Life with a toddler: it's not so much the volume, it's the pitch!
#7 of 41 Old 05-02-2008, 01:00 PM

We are using the pull out method.. I am allergic to latex and can't take hormonal birth control so pull out and NFP is kind of our only option..

and Orly... we are planning on trying again near the end of the year too

Rachel, proud Army wife to my superhero.gif and SAHM to my crazy boys jumpers.gif... Trevor 4/08, Trenton 6/09 and Travis 10/10
#8 of 41 Old 05-02-2008, 01:11 PM

Wow! I'm surprised at all the oppostion to an IUD. I LOVED mine! I mean LOVE LOVE LOVED it! It was a simple copper T placed in the uterus. Copper is a natural spermicide, and kills those little swimmers dead. I was initially hesitant about them too, having heard all those horror stories about the early ones. Apparently they are much safer now, though I won't claim to have done loads of research. I'm sure we'll go this route again. DH has talked about snipp-age, and despite the fact that I'm pretty sure I don't want to do this again, I'm not ready for that route. Its so... permanent. I think I'll chart too, but that's more to be in touch with my own rythyms than anything.
#9 of 41 Old 05-02-2008, 01:19 PM

we are 99% sure we don't want more children...but we have decided to go with Mirena IUD and not something surgical or more permanent. we feel that, because we are both so young, we could change our minds or have other life altering events happen that would lead us to wanting more children. Dh will probably get the big V in his 30s if we still feel we are done having kids.

"Parents are simply trustees; they do not own the bodies of their children"-Norm Cohen  Martial arts instructor intactlact.gifhomebirth.jpgnak.gif and mom to 4: DD1 (1/05) DS (7/06) DD2 (5/08) DD3 (2/11)
#10 of 41 Old 05-02-2008, 01:26 PM

We thought we were done before having David and were charting to avoid. Even with a very clear chart and 5+ days of nothing either side of O date I got pg with him. I'll be getting the Mirena IUD after my 6 week checkup. When dh is no longer working construction he will be getting snipped.

Kristina mom to A 1/12 J 11/05 D 4/08 and tiny dude in late April 2010
#11 of 41 Old 05-02-2008, 01:30 PM

Dh is already talking about trying for #2, so we'll probably just use condoms until we do start officially trying.

Mama to Eleanore Rae, born April 6, 2008 & Adelaide Jane, born December 16, 2010, Cautiously expecting #3 September 10, 2013

I blog! Check my profile for the link

#12 of 41 Old 05-02-2008, 01:44 PM

well considering i got pregnant on the pill this time, hormonal birth controls are out for me. besides with breastfeeding anything with estrogen is a no go and if i got pregnant on the regular pill i definitely do not trust the mini pill.

dh and are very fertile people, apparently. so the pull out method won't work i can guarantee it. (quick shout out to dd#2 lol)
we might use condoms with a back up method like the sponge or spermicides. plus with nfp AND breastfeeding, i figure that would cover it.

my 6 week appt is on the 8th and I'm considering an iud.. once removed you can pretty much get pregnant right away right?

that's sounding like my best option right about now.

it sure would be nice to actually PLAN to ttc my children.. ;-)

"The most important work you and I will ever do will be within the walls of our own homes." -Harold B. Lee
#13 of 41 Old 05-02-2008, 01:59 PM

Hope you find something that works Amanda Mr T was definitely a surprise but that was kind of a combo of me having a blonde moment with charting and hubby being a little too.. shall we say... eager?

Rachel, proud Army wife to my superhero.gif and SAHM to my crazy boys jumpers.gif... Trevor 4/08, Trenton 6/09 and Travis 10/10
#14 of 41 Old 05-02-2008, 02:18 PM

one word.

vasectomy.
#15 of 41 Old 05-02-2008, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chely7425 View Post
We are using the pull out method.. I am allergic to latex and can't take hormonal birth control so pull out and NFP is kind of our only option..

and Orly... we are planning on trying again near the end of the year too
nak i used to have a latex allergy and we use the non latex condoms. they arent horrible for when ur ready to have bc
#16 of 41 Old 05-02-2008, 02:26 PM

We DTD at around 3 weeks postpartum. I NEVER would have been able to do that after my DD1's HBAC and certainly had no interest at 3 weeks after my DS's c-section birth!

As for birth control, we're just planning to use ecological breastfeeding again. It worked well for us after DD1's birth (became pregnant 35 months after DD1's birth).

I don't actually use birth control - more like family planning, I guess.
#17 of 41 Old 05-02-2008, 02:50 PM

Between my first daughter and this one, we charted (using the Taking Charge of Your Fertility method, not rhythm) and when I was in the fertile period we used a spermicide. I am extremely fertile...got pregnant both times, the first try, having sex only once..and charting worked for me. I was diligent, though, on taking my temps and checking fluid and such, so I would say if you aren't an anal person like me, definitely look into using something extra. I won't ever do hormonal again, though. I hate the way I felt on it and I'm terribly afraid it would dry up my milk.

Andrea fly-by-nursing2.gif - Mommy to DD1 ('05), DD2 ('08), DD3 (6/17/11) cd.gif homebirth.jpg

#18 of 41 Old 05-02-2008, 03:40 PM

I'm allergic to latex, and sensitive to spermicides which leaves us with an IUD, the pill (already having supply issues so that's out for sure) NFP, or polyurethane or natural skin condoms. Considering we also work with multiple fertility issues (PCOS, hypothyroid, short luteal phase and low sperm count) we're just saying" forget the contraceptives-an oops baby would be fine with us."

So for us, the answer is "why bother?"
#19 of 41 Old 05-02-2008, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Organicavocado View Post
one word.

vasectomy.
Here, too.
#20 of 41 Old 05-02-2008, 04:23 PM

Nfp.

~Marie : Mom to DS(11), DS(10), DD(8), DD(4), DD(2), & Happily Married to DH 12 yrs.!
#21 of 41 Old 05-02-2008, 04:42 PM

Hmm well I got preggo 3 separate times on the Pill even once while doubling up with a condom, had pelvic inflammatory twice with an IUD and almost lost my ovaries (I know someone who had to have a complete hysterectomy recently because of an infection caused by an IUD.) I can't take hormonal BC. So we are limited to not much. LOL. We're not ready to do the V because we feel like we're not totally done yet, certainly done for a long time though. Sigh maybe celibacy will be in our future.
#22 of 41 Old 05-02-2008, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carriebft View Post
we are 99% sure we don't want more children...but we have decided to go with Mirena IUD and not something surgical or more permanent. we feel that, because we are both so young, we could change our minds or have other life altering events happen that would lead us to wanting more children. Dh will probably get the big V in his 30s if we still feel we are done having kids.
Subtract out the IUD part, and I could have written this. We're pretty sure we're done, but we're only 29, so I don't feel that we can say that definitively. I can't rule out a caboose baby in 10 years.

Right now, I'm kind of sticking my head in the sand about BC. I don't want to do anything hormonal, I don't want to use any method that prevents implantation, and the thought of anything in my uterus completely skeeves me out. That pretty much leaves us NFP, maybe with condoms during fertile times. But I'm not sure if that will feel safe enough for us. Guess we'll see.
#23 of 41 Old 05-02-2008, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Organicavocado View Post
nak i used to have a latex allergy and we use the non latex condoms. they arent horrible for when ur ready to have bc
Good to know... can you get them at like regular stores?

#24 of 41 Old 05-02-2008, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennisee View Post
I don't want to use any method that prevents implantation,
FYI- I'm sure it depends on the kind of IUD you get, but the nice thing about a simple copper IUD is that it doesn't prevent implantation, it prevents fertilization totally, because the copper kills sperm... this was one of the reasons I was initally against an IUD. AND, there's no hormones being pumped into your system. My sense is that there are a lot of misconceptions out there about IUDs these days.
#25 of 41 Old 05-02-2008, 05:40 PM

I cannot wait to get a copper IUD. I actually tried to get one this past summer, but the OB was a total jerk and wanted to give me the Mirena (ummm, NO, I cannot do hormones) and pretty much left me in tears... really mean lady, she was... grrrrrrr.

So now that we'll have 2 babies and can't rely on hormonal BC and I'm not good enough to track my temp, fluids, etc., the IUD makes the most sense here! I'm really looking forward to having some sort of consistent, easy BC method. whew.

Mama to twin girls Adele and Nadia, born 5/2008
#26 of 41 Old 05-02-2008, 06:14 PM

Mr. Snippy for DH...

WOHM to Leo (4/08) reading.gif and enjoying the journey with DH geek.gif

Announcing the arrival of Clara in August 2013! homebirth.jpg

#27 of 41 Old 05-02-2008, 06:21 PM

This LO was a wonderful ooops after years of infertility, ectopic, m/c you name it. That being said we are done ooopsing and dh got snipped a little while ago. I am definitely at my max with 3 kids and my body is finished being pg!
#28 of 41 Old 05-02-2008, 07:16 PM

Condoms and NFP.

Though I am not sure when we'll DTD. Last time after my section we were 2 weeks out.. (felt good enough at 1 week..) this time with the stitches.. I don't know ..

Might just not have sex for awhile!
#29 of 41 Old 05-02-2008, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpaca Wacka View Post
FYI- I'm sure it depends on the kind of IUD you get, but the nice thing about a simple copper IUD is that it doesn't prevent implantation, it prevents fertilization totally, because the copper kills sperm... this was one of the reasons I was initally against an IUD. AND, there's no hormones being pumped into your system. My sense is that there are a lot of misconceptions out there about IUDs these days.
No all IUD's prevent implantation. The copper dose not kill the sperm it just creates a hostile uterine environment. IUD's are essentially an abortifactant, which I was unaware of at the time I had one.
#30 of 41 Old 05-02-2008, 08:09 PM

big v for us too. we are done. this preg was very hard on me and 3 kids is def enough for us.

between my kids we successfully used condoms and nfp, based on tcoyf. never had an oops w/ those methods.

Jenn, perpetually tired mom to DS(9): DD(4.5): DD(2) :

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page