She's finally here!!! *updated w/name and birth story! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-02-2008, 10:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just a quickie since i just tanked her up and she's happy in daddy's arms for a bit.

Our sweet little girl, who remains nameless at the moment, was born at 3:30am May 2 at 41w5d in our living room. She was exactly 9 pounds, and 20 1/2 inches long. she looks just like her big sis, except she has a ton of thick dark hair on her head (big sis was totally bald forever as a babe).

From my first "hmmmm.... i need to breathe and concentrate" ctx which woke me up at about 11pm, she was born 4 1/2 hours later. Labor was incredibly intense, I made a *lot* of noise. No tearing at all, and it was so wild - i didn't have a single after-birth ctx, the placenta just slid right out. it was really cool. and my bleeding has been very minimal. the baby started nursing within a minute of birth, and didn't stop for about 3 hours! her latch is perfect, and she is so alert with amazing head control, and already following sounds, especially voices of loved ones she's been hearing in utero.

i feel great, a little sore and a little tired, but still riding on some adrenaline from the birth. i'll get my head together to write a real birth story soon, and hopefully we'll have a name for her before the weekend's up.

UPDATE:

http://s116.photobucket.com/albums/o...view=slideshow

12 days past her estimated due date, our beautiful baby girl, Elowyn Rose, decided it was finally time to join our family. I guess she was waiting for May! She was born in our living room at around 3:30am, May 2nd, weighing in at exactly 9 lbs and is 20.5 inches long, with a full head of dark hair and looking an awful lot like her big sister.

The story really begins on Wednesday, April 30th, when I decided it was time to see what natural things I might be able to use to get labor to begin. So I started the day with a chiropractic adjustment, and finished it with a one hour long reflexology appointment (aaaah, that was nice!). I awoke on Thursday having mild contractions about 10 minutes apart. Since this continued unchanged throughout the morning, I decided to keep my previously-scheduled acupuncture appointment, and headed there around 10:30am. Since I didn’t walk out of the acupuncturists in the throes of labor (but still having contractions about 10 minutes apart) we decided to grab a bite to eat before heading home. My mom arrived shortly after we got back, and I was feeling really relaxed and positive that the baby was on her way. My contractions did get a little more intense, though still very mild (I could talk and walk through them easily), so after talking with my midwife, I decided to start taking the homeopathic caulophyllum that the acupuncturist had generously picked up for me, as it is supposed to help regulate and enhance contractions. After a couple of hours of that, I decided to see if I could get some sleep, and went to bed with the kids around 9:30pm. I woke up from a contraction around 11pm, and had several more - still 10 minutes apart but *much* more intense, ones I had to breathe and focus through. At last! Labor had started! I decided to call the midwife and give her a heads up that it looked like the baby would be coming soon since these contractions seemed to mean business, then sat in the living room with DH, chatting in between contractions, but breathing/focusing/relaxing in a hands and knees position during them. At around 12:30, as they kept getting more intense, they also got closer together – about 7 minutes apart, and then 5. I decided around 1am that it was time for my midwife to come, so I called her and she headed over, arriving shortly after 2am . DH and my mom later told me they were so relieved to hear her car in the driveway – apparently as my contractions got more intense and much closer together, they realized baby would be born pretty soon and they were concerned she might not make it in time! By this time things were really intense, contractions were quite close together and very strong, and I had to vocalize a lot to get through them. The timeline after the midwife arrived is very fuzzy as I was not at all paying attention to the clock. my midwife and her birth assistant were very quiet and unobtrusive as they came into the house and got the few birth supplies and things they needed set up. DH was an incredible support, there next to me the whole time, and giving me exactly what I needed when I needed it without me saying a word. It was quite amazing being allowed to totally do my own thing as I labored – with my previous midwives, though they were not pushy or trying to boss me around at all, they did direct me. my midwife knew I’d ask for help if I needed it, and just having her calm presence in the room was all I needed from her as I labored. It was incredibly cool allowing my body to direct me and tell me when it was truly time to push the baby out. I hard started to feel like pushing for a while, but decided I would see if I could control that urge. Eventually it became impossible to control, and I knew it was really time to push the baby out. I had to try a few different positions as nothing felt very comfortable – ultimately deciding my hands and knees felt best. I pushed her head out in that position, then moved to a more seated position (with some help) leaning up against DH to get the rest of her pushed out. And suddenly there was a gorgeous, slippery little baby girl on my belly! She started nursing right away, and hasn’t really stopped! I didn’t feel a single contraction after she was born, but within a few minutes the placenta just slid right out! That was such an amazing thing, as I had a lot of discomfort and difficulty birthing the placenta in both previous births. About 1.5 hours after she was born, DH and my midwife gently separated her from her placenta with candles while the baby continued to nurse contentedly. I experienced no tearing, and very light bleeding, so I feel pretty good, albeit a little sore and tired. River and Solomon are fascinated by her and can’t stop kissing her chubby little cheeks and telling her what a cute baby she is, and DH is just glowing with pride.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2008, 10:49 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
woohoo! congratulations mama! Sounds like it was a great birth - can't wait to read your full birth story

XM,: mama to ds (5/08), dd (9/10) and ds (6/12) ! whale.gif :C.H.S & M.

Old 05-02-2008, 10:50 PM

YAY! Congratulations! I just knew you were birthing!!! I hope you enjoy the weekend with your newest family member

Mama to twin girls Adele and Nadia, born 5/2008
Old 05-02-2008, 10:54 PM

aww yay a girl! you were waiting to be surprised right? is that what you thought you were having?

anyway, congrats mama! enjoy your babymoon!

"The most important work you and I will ever do will be within the walls of our own homes." -Harold B. Lee
Old 05-02-2008, 11:37 PM

congrats!!!!!!! Your birth sounds a lot like mine was!

"Parents are simply trustees; they do not own the bodies of their children"-Norm Cohen  Martial arts instructor intactlact.gifhomebirth.jpgnak.gif and mom to 4: DD1 (1/05) DS (7/06) DD2 (5/08) DD3 (2/11)
Old 05-02-2008, 11:42 PM
cmi

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Congratulations! I love reading happy birth stories at this point. Best of luck choosing a name.
Old 05-03-2008, 08:52 AM

amazing!

Mama to one boy 12/98, one girl 5/08 and a new addition!!!! 2/23/11 Vincent Michael joy.gif

Old 05-03-2008, 11:25 AM

Hooray!

sounds WONDERFUL!!!!!

Congratulations! (but I'm missin' ya on the "still pregnant" thread )

ENJOY YOUR BABY!
Old 05-03-2008, 02:23 PM

Awesome birth, congrats!

WOHM to Leo (4/08) reading.gif and enjoying the journey with DH geek.gif

Announcing the arrival of Clara in August 2013! homebirth.jpg

Old 05-03-2008, 03:18 PM

Awesome! Congratulations!

Appalachian mountain woman, radical homemaker, homeschooler, childbirth educator, and doula loving her DH and three powerful little femmes. Deladis 8-4-05, Ivy 4-28-08, and Gweneth 7-21-12 HBA2C! hbac.gif  -  blogging.jpg ribboncesarean.gif

Old 05-03-2008, 03:22 PM

congrats to you!!
Old 05-03-2008, 03:25 PM

from another DDC, just wanted to say congrats - what an amazing and beautiful birth story!!!!

Veg mama to DS (6/05) and DD (10/08) :
Old 05-03-2008, 03:43 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pixiepunk View Post
the baby started nursing within a minute of birth, and didn't stop for about 3 hours! her latch is perfect, and she is so alert with amazing head control, and already following sounds, especially voices of loved ones she's been hearing in utero.
That's why we love the "late" babies! They still have a little time to grow up before they come out .

Congrats on your new LO!
Old 05-03-2008, 06:07 PM

Congratulations!!
Old 05-04-2008, 12:18 AM

Congratulations!

Andrea, daughter of the King, wife of Neil, Mama to Jackson 7/4/05 Nicholas 12/21/06 Ezekiel 5/9/08 and due June 14!
Old 05-04-2008, 08:12 AM

CONGRATS MAMA!

:
Old 05-06-2008, 11:02 AM - Thread Starter

bumping for updates
Old 05-06-2008, 11:15 AM

Congratulations!

mama to   broc1.gif DS 6/06 and banana.gif DS 4/08
Old 05-06-2008, 01:00 PM

Congratulations to you and your family!! How wonderful that you could follow your body's direction for what to do... I wish they would teach that in labor classes!

Elowyn is a nice name! Where did you hear it?

- 7; - 5; - 2; --due 4/11
Old 05-06-2008, 04:18 PM

Beautiful Momma!!!!

hola.gif

User Tag List