***The birth story of Nora Kathryn*** - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 21 Old 05-04-2008, 06:01 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi ladies

I've missed MDC! I am GREAT but had no internet access since the birth of our daughter! It was killing me not to check up on MDC, i'm an addict! Thank you for the notes and concern, i feel so loved!

Nora Kathryn was born on April 30 at 9:12pm, 7.23 pounds.

Nora day 1
Nora day 2
Meeting Nora
Me with Nora
Big brother
Hug

Matthew just brought Nora and I home yesterday. Nora is doing very well, nursing great, a very quiet, mellow baby as suspected. She looks a lot like Elliot in some pictures, and yet seems to have my big cheeks/chin from when I was a baby. She has a full head of blond/brown hair.

My dad left yesterday and I am humbled to say that the timing of this whole shabang was perfect. The hotel my parents stayed at was just down the street, and my dad was a huge help with Elliot these days here, especially during labor. I could rest knowing Elliot was in the best of hands and not worry while I was away from him. I've never been away from him for 1 day let alone 4 days, which is a long time to be away from my little one and he did wonderfully! We miss my dad and I am happy to say my mom has worked it out to stay until May 16th!!!

Elliot loves his baby sister. It was such a joy to introduce them, he knew this baby was special, he never cared about all the other babies i have held when with him in the past. But when he said "Baby Nora" and looks at her he has a look I have never seen before...pure big brother pride. He gets her socks and kisses her and strokes her hair. He didn't mind me nursing her but got the shivers when he saw her ouchie and was upset about it (the belly button). He is really very tender and good with her and wants to hold her a lot. We'll see how long he stays patient with a new baby sister! He's already trying to share his toys with her and teach her colors.

Below is the birth story for all those that want to know...

First off, this labor was inredible, I loved experiencing it and couldn't ask for anything more. I am so thankful to have had a natural birth and find great healing in this time. I did a great job and am really happy to have brought Nora into this world! I would totally do labor again, that's how well my VBAC went! (And now that I have been through it am positive that if i had a proper support network with Elliot, I would not have had a c-s. Somehow that brings healing to know it was not all my fault, and I was not too weak, I was just naive about labor).

Birth Story of Nora Kathryn

On April 30th at 12:30am I was awoken with a contraction different from the million BH I had been having. They were about 10 minutes a part and I knew “this is it!”. I was so thankful for the timing as I had surrendered and accepted different things to God the day before, as well as had a fantastic high tea time with my mom by Buckingham Palace and a dinner at our Persian friend’s home.

I drank some Gatorade and ate some nutritious food and tried to lay down as much as possible. I lost a big chunk of mucus plug, never saw that before! i almost wanted to save it. I called the labor ward and they wanted me to come in even thought I said contractions were far a part and not that intense. Being a VBAC patient they wanted to monitor me. So I made my RRL tea and Simon L. picked me up while Matt stayed with Elliot. I labored at 10 minutes a part for 45 seconds consistently until 2pm. I arrived to the hospital at 5:30 and the midwife Joy set me up on the monitors. It was interesting to me that the baby knew when the contraction was coming before I did, as I could hear her heartbeat change. I then lost another big chunk of mucus plug.

I was placed in a temporary room environment with lots of other mums. It was kind of loud but it didn't really bother me until I got farther along. My mom was excellent as she prayed over me with each contraction, took walks, helped me squat and stretch to get the baby moving down. At that point the verbal prayers for grace and strength were just what I needed and I was in the process of learning how to use the pain for good and control the tension. I decided to drink my 1 ounce to 1 pint of RRL tea, and I truly believe that got things going! Every time i drank a cup i had a HUGE contraction and from that point on they just got more intense and more consistent. Yay RRL! They checked me at 2pm and I was effacing and 3cm. Matt was with me for a bit and Elliot visited me. Then they moved me to another ward where I could not rest because the contractions were coming faster now. My mom started to time them and as we walked and at around 3pm they got more intense they were 3 min a part, with some mini-ones in between. I got really nauseated and was just focused on not "losing" it and staying on top of my body and the control. They were getting a bath ready for me but when she checked me she said I was in active labor and needed to go to the labor ward. I was 4cm. I texted Matt to get here fast. Then I stood up and my water broke, and I had about 10 ladies around me getting me downstairs, this was happening! I texted Matt again to hurry...and within 2 hours I went from 3cm to 8cm! (this took 20+ hours with Elliot)

I was really blessed with good care. At this point in the labor I stared at a midwife student, Anika, the entire time...she was incredible. An angel I think...her face was so focused and serene and calm that she helped me learn what to do with the pain and control it and not sceam or Freak out. She just stared in my eyes and breathed in thru the nose and out thru the mouth with her ands resting on mine the entire time. I could use the pain to work WITH my body and it was amazing. With Elliot all these things happened but I was alone with no help and didn't know what was going on, so I fought my body the whole time without realizing it. I had to breath thru the pain and could feel my body bringing Nora down the canal but I was not to push. Crazy! With Elliot i pushed that whole time and swelled up my cevix and sent him into distress. I couldn't look at my mom or Matt as there was too much emotion there...but my mom kept my face wiped and me hydrated and I took in her verbal encouragement. Then I had another midwife Sharia from Bosnia(?) was holding the monitor on me the entire time so I could do whatever I wanted, most of the time i was on my knees leaning over the top of the bed and swaying back and forth, but the birth stool was pretty amazing too.

The pushing took 1 hour but I was so proud of myself, even in labor, for sticking with it and doing this naturally. I was sad that my midwives had to leave with the shift change but I had a good handle on what was going on with my body so I knew i could finish. My next midwife, Edna from Zimbabwe, actally delivered the baby. I wouldn't have torn at all, but ended up with a 2nd degree tear because she had to shove her hands in to cut the cord. It was wrapped around Nora's neck 2x very tight and I sensed a bit of panic in the medical team. I saw Nora come out and they brought her to the respiratory station right away. She never cried actually...(and on day 4 I've heard her cry 2x, just like Elliot was as a baby) they suctioned her and put CPAP on her and then let us hold her for a little bit.
I thought I should be more upset that she was being taken to NICU for the night but I was not fearful and God gave me a lot of grace and strength to not be disappointed and know she would be ok. They gave her an IV line with antibiotics to fight any infection from all the fluids in her lungs. I went to see her in NICU and then went to sleep for the night in my own room. I missed her but it was good to rest. I went up the next morning and nursed her for 20 minutes. Later they brought her down to me and she stayed with me in my room. We had to stay in the hospital to wait for blood cultures but everything has been negative.

Although I was disappointed I missed out on that time with my Dad and wanted to be with my family at home, it was really a blessing of time because by the time I got home yesterday I was feeling myself, able to move around easily without meds, and had all that special bonding time with Nora. She is healthy and beautiful. I am totally in love with her.
#2 of 21 Old 05-04-2008, 11:16 AM

Congratulations! I've been waiting to hear this story and I'm so happy you got your amazing, healing VBAC. Welcome to the world, Nora, and well done mama!

Mother. Doula. Writer. Feminist. Activist. 
Mum to Moo Moo (4) blahblah.gifand EJ (2) bftoddler.gif

#3 of 21 Old 05-04-2008, 11:54 AM

YAY~~!!!\

Congrats honey, she's beautiful!!

I am s happy you got your VBAC. s
#4 of 21 Old 05-04-2008, 12:01 PM

i'm soooo happy for you and proud of you! you're the reason i came to check in. thank you so much for sharing your story.
#5 of 21 Old 05-04-2008, 12:43 PM

I am overjoyed to see your story of Nora's birth! So so so so happy for you! You have many reasons to smile, mama
And she's gorgeous

(And by the way - how many different wards did you have to move to during labor? Was that 3?! That in itself warrants an award!)

Mama to twin girls Adele and Nadia, born 5/2008
#6 of 21 Old 05-04-2008, 01:24 PM

What an awesome story!!! I've been thinking about you and am so glad that you were able to do it naturally!
#7 of 21 Old 05-04-2008, 02:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjoy2 View Post
I am overjoyed to see your story of Nora's birth! So so so so happy for you! You have many reasons to smile, mama
And she's gorgeous

(And by the way - how many different wards did you have to move to during labor? Was that 3?! That in itself warrants an award!)
Thanks everyone! i'm elated.
I moved 4x total. Triage room, antenatal to labor for awhile, then my own room to labor, and then to the room i stayed in. I was supposed to be in a room with 8 beds but my bed wasn't ready so i got a room with 4, so happy about that. The one with 8 had a woman in it that would have driven me crazy. i had such nice mums in my room.
#8 of 21 Old 05-04-2008, 03:03 PM

Hooray!!!!! I literally jumped for joy when I saw that you'd delivered! And when I read your birth story (which, along with everything else about your pregnancies, was SO similar to mine!) my first thought was "Oh! I have to call her!!!". No matter that I don't know your full name or where you live....let me call the UK and track down mkmama!!!

I'm so incredibly happy for you and your family. Isn't it amazing that just when you let go and surrender, everything works out perfectly????

Love to your family!

---Jessica---Livin' my life from A Peace.gif(1/05 ) to Z  jammin.gif(4/08 ).....and z babyf.gif(3/11)

#9 of 21 Old 05-04-2008, 03:08 PM

oh yay!! congrats kathryn! so glad you got your vbac!

welcome nora!

"The most important work you and I will ever do will be within the walls of our own homes." -Harold B. Lee
#10 of 21 Old 05-04-2008, 05:25 PM

Congratulations! It sounds like such a wonderful experience for you!
#11 of 21 Old 05-04-2008, 07:02 PM
cmi

Congratulations! She is beautiful, and I'm glad everything worked out well for you in the end.

It was interesting that you could hear her heartbeat change before a contraction. I've been noticing that my lo often moves before a contraction and was wondering if it was a cause or effect.
#12 of 21 Old 05-04-2008, 07:19 PM

You Did It!!!!!!!! Congrats!

hola.gif
#13 of 21 Old 05-04-2008, 08:35 PM

Oh, congrats! What a great birth experience. And I am so very glad to hear that your mom gets to stay with you longer. It's good to have you back!

Life with a toddler: it's not so much the volume, it's the pitch!
#14 of 21 Old 05-04-2008, 09:29 PM

Congrats!!! What a wonderful way to VBAC!!!! So happy that this birth brought healing to your past experience. Welcome Nora!!
#15 of 21 Old 05-05-2008, 11:34 AM

Congratulations!! What a beautiful girl!
#16 of 21 Old 05-05-2008, 10:58 PM

Oh I am SO thrilled for you! The picture of them together is just precious! She is gorgeous, enjoy your babymoon.

~Rebecca~
mama to a sweet girl , & 4 silly boys

#17 of 21 Old 05-06-2008, 12:07 AM

High five! You did it!
#18 of 21 Old 05-06-2008, 10:19 AM

Congratulations

mama to   broc1.gif DS 6/06 and banana.gif DS 4/08
#19 of 21 Old 05-06-2008, 11:30 AM

Welcome Nora!
What a beautifully written story, and what an international birth team you had!!

I am just curious, how was your mom in her role as Doula, and is she going to take more classes to start a new career or anything?!

- 7; - 5; - 2; --due 4/11
#20 of 21 Old 05-06-2008, 06:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by krizzanne View Post
Welcome Nora!
What a beautifully written story, and what an international birth team you had!!

I am just curious, how was your mom in her role as Doula, and is she going to take more classes to start a new career or anything?!
Good memory! She was incredible. Her birth center classes were right on, everything that I would want her to learn and she taught me so much. The first hours of labor (latent phase) she gave me so many tips and practiced things with me to help the pain, and helped me learn to control the pain so that when it got worse i could use it for my body instead of against it. I don't know if she will start a new career but she should, she is so gentle and calm and knew just what to do each step of the way. The encouragement was the best part. I my mom
#21 of 21 Old 05-07-2008, 02:29 PM

Woo-hoo! So glad everything turned out, enjoy your little girl!

WOHM to Leo (4/08) reading.gif and enjoying the journey with DH geek.gif

Announcing the arrival of Clara in August 2013! homebirth.jpg

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page