First Bath? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 05-10-2008, 02:28 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
How long did you wait to give LO his/her first bath? I just realized that Zaven is 4 weeks old and has never had an actual bath. We've sponged him off, but no bath. Is that at all weird?

With Amelia, I gave her a bath shortly after her belly button stump fell off. Of course, I was an extremely excited first time mom.

Just curious.

---Jessica---Livin' my life from A Peace.gif(1/05 ) to Z  jammin.gif(4/08 ).....and z babyf.gif(3/11)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 17 Old 05-10-2008, 02:59 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
it during his first week !!!! but many women wait awhile before bathing. Don't feel bad.

hola.gif
#3 of 17 Old 05-10-2008, 04:59 AM

We waited till a few days after his cord stump fell off, so he got his first bath last weekend. We'll probably give him another tomorrow, and make it a once a week thing. I can't see getting to it any more often right now...lol! And he only got one sponge bath before that too. I definitely feel like we don't bathe him as much as alot of people seem to! Oh well...he doesn't smell funky.

Life with a toddler: it's not so much the volume, it's the pitch!
#4 of 17 Old 05-10-2008, 06:07 AM

research shows its good to keep that stump dry as possible but not necessary. Nora was bathed at 3 days, 6 days and 9 days. Its getting hot and her double chin neck folds get ucky with the spit up. But we have an easy bath chair that she likes. Its pretty quick and she doesn't mind it at all.
#5 of 17 Old 05-10-2008, 03:40 PM

we did it after her cord detached, at 5 days old. we had not really cleaned her off much since birth, though. she still had some residue from the birth in her hair, and in between folds of fat here and there. so when we gave the other two a bath that night we decided we might as well do her too.

but i don't think it's at all weird or a bad thing not to do it for 4 weeks. if we hadn't done it the other day it might very well have been another week or more before it occurred to me
#6 of 17 Old 05-10-2008, 04:15 PM

Naomi is three weeks and one day, she lost her cord stump a few days ago, and we'll probably give her a real bath this weekend.
#7 of 17 Old 05-10-2008, 06:59 PM

She was born on a Thursday, I think she got her 1st bath on Sat or Sun. And then we did one a week later. She is about a week out now and we plan to do one tonight or tomorrow am. Until she starts puking all over herself or something, we dont really feel the need to do more than weekly baths at this age. Once she is sitting up, we'll throw her in with her sister to play more often.

Jenn, perpetually tired mom to DS(9): DD(4.5): DD(2) :
#8 of 17 Old 05-11-2008, 07:14 PM

Sponge bath at a week then a bath in the sink every week since... he doesn't get dirty yet and I can't seem to find the extra time.

treehugger.gif Birth and PP doula, Mama to DD (7/04) DS (3/08)    belly.gifwith #3 EDD 11/29/13, and 30+ chicken3.gif , 2 ducks

#9 of 17 Old 05-11-2008, 09:41 PM

Ds had his first bath two days after his stump fell off, around 2 1/2 weeks. Before that he'd just had a sponge bath on his first day to get the birth goo off of him. We bathed DD at 6 days, shortly after her cord fell off also, but not because she was dirty, but she has so much hair, and it was starting to get oily with so many people touching it. Before that she had not even had a sponge bath. She was born in the water so she was already really clean, no blood, no goo, and we rubbed her vernix into her cracks on the second day.
#10 of 17 Old 05-12-2008, 07:56 PM

a few days after his cord fell off... I think. I generally shower with my babies so I'm sure he got washed before then. Showering is SUCH bonding time for me and yes, I'm addicted. He likes it too
#11 of 17 Old 05-12-2008, 10:22 PM

I started showering with ds last week and I absolutely LOVE IT!!!!

hola.gif
#12 of 17 Old 05-13-2008, 02:27 AM

Do you guys hold your LO while showering, or do you put them in a seat in the tub? I'm trying to picture the logistics of it.
#13 of 17 Old 05-13-2008, 01:25 PM

David was a week old when he had his first bath. He has one every other 2 or so at this point as he is a spitter and it's hot here. Between smelling like spit up and greasy hair because everyone in the family likes to mess with it I get to the point I decide he needs a bath quickly. He has also showered with me a few times. Usually when I shower with a baby I'll have dh nearby to do the baby pass off when they are clean. I just hold them while cleaning them up then they get out so I can get cleaned up. If dh isn't around I'll set up the baby/toddler rocking chair with a towel. I'll have baby sitting there right next to the shower while I get cleaned up then bring him in long enough to clean him up and put him back in the chair with towel while I dry off.

Kristina mom to A 1/12 J 11/05 D 4/08 and tiny dude in late April 2010
#14 of 17 Old 05-14-2008, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meksmama View Post
Sponge bath at a week then a bath in the sink every week since... he doesn't get dirty yet and I can't seem to find the extra time.
Same here...

WOHM to Leo (4/08) reading.gif and enjoying the journey with DH geek.gif

Announcing the arrival of Clara in August 2013! homebirth.jpg

#15 of 17 Old 05-14-2008, 03:20 PM

can't speak for other mamas who shower with their LO's, but i use a solarveil sling to shower with mine
#16 of 17 Old 05-14-2008, 03:45 PM

Caleb. Hates. Baths.
#17 of 17 Old 05-14-2008, 04:49 PM

I hold Caedmon in the shower. In the beginning I used a washcloth on my arm to make sure he didn't slip out of my arms in the shower (those newborns are sure slippery!!). Now I still use the washcloth but don't have to because he's got enough chub on him to hold him securely.
I sometimes sit him in the bouncy seat while I wash up and then get him in the shower with me. Then I have the bouncy seat already liined with a dry towel and lay him on it when I'm done and toweling off myself.
I also sometimes plug the bathtub up and lay him on my crossed legs and wash him that way.
Either way he loves it and gets all happy and starts cooing when I take him in the bathroom and the shower is on.

I've always wanted a solarveil sling but never did get one.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page