Mothering Forum banner

Anyone else traveling soon?

969 views 12 replies 12 participants last post by  ErikaG 
#1 ·
So we used up our stimulus money on tickets to visit family in central america for two weeks in July...and I am already fearing the plane ride. We managed to get some flights with decent layovers (only 2 hours, most of which will be customs on the way back so thats not too bad). I don't think I'm really fearing about the new babe so much as DD and DS....I am even considering sitting in another part of the plane with the baby and DH taking the toddlers, since they love crawling all over me and plane rides tend to be an issue because of that.

Anyone else doing travel this summer? Have any secret plans to get through the airports?

See less See more
#2 ·
We are flying across the country (Washington State to Georgia) twice this summer, once near the end of June and once at the beginning of August. No ideas on how to make it easier though!

#3 ·
we might be going to Europe in December (note to self, start working on kids passports) and I am dreading it. At that time we will have a 7.5yr old with aspergers who doesnt like change and refuses to poop away from home, a 3yr old with limitless energy and a shriek that can break crystal and a 6 mo old who's personality remains to be seen. Yeah. I think we are nuts to be considering it.

As far as airports, I typically do my travelling alone with one baby/toddler, so I use the stroller to carry the carseat/diaper bag/carryon, etc and sling the baby. The good news is taht the stroller is your "get through security quick" ticket, but the bad news is that you also have to unsling the baby to go through. You might want to get seats in front of DH so that you guys can alternate who sits with who, but you can also have some "quiet" space away from the toddlers if you need it with the baby. At least thats our plan too.

Good luck! SOunds like a great trip.

#4 ·
Not quite the same as a plane trip, but we're taking a road trip to St. Louis this weekend!

We did fly to Las Vegas once when DD was a little over 2 and once shortly before her 3rd birthday. DD was a great traveler, and the second trip was a result of the first trip being so easy. A portable DVD player can be a lifesaver, especially if you bring along a couple movies they've never seen before. We also brought a book of stickers and let her stick them on the plane wall around the window (they come off very easily). Also, crayons and paper/coloring book, playdough (if your kids can play fairly neatly with it), special snacks that they don't usually get.

I definitely think having your DH be in charge of the two older kids is a good idea. I personally would want to still be near my DH so we could help each other out, but if you do think being that close to your kids would be a distraction for them, then sitting in separate parts of the plan is probably a smart plan.

#6 ·
...we're driving to Tulsa from Dallas friday w/ds1 (4.5 y.o) and ds2 (5 weeks). kind of apprehensive about it. ds1 tends to maul ds2 and their seats are w/in arm-shot of each other. i imagine what could be a 4-hour trip w/adults that went to 5 hours w/ds1 will now go to 6 or so w/added stops for walking a crying baby and feeding.

...flying to NJ in June. argh a plane! just hoping w/ds2 being 8 weeks at that point he'll be a bit more settled and able to withstand the stress better. and by stress i mean mine!

#7 ·
I am boycotting all travel this year. We did way too much traveling with DS#1 when he was younger. I am burnt out on it. It was easy until he started walking and after that it was torture to take him on a plane. We did 5 trips to europe before he was a year and a half old.

I have so much sympathy for anyone traveling with a young toddler!

#8 ·
It feels good just to talk about it; I don't talk about my fears much concerning travel like this because my husband rarely gets to see his family, so I don't want to shed an apprehensive light on the trips when we do get to go.I like the idea of sitting close but maybe not the same row, then we could switch off easily. The flight isn't too bad...it's like 7 or so hours all together in the air.

#11 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by thetnpreacherswife View Post
We head to ATL this weekend for DH to graduate with his Doctorate!
Yay! Good for him!

I'm going to fly from Atl to VT in July with both kids alone. I'm probably in denial, but I'm feeling pretty calm about it so far.

#12 ·
If we get the birth cert in time, we're flying to toronto at the end of the month. I'm not sure what we're going to do if it doesn't come in time... we filed right away but the time-frame is 2-6 weeks and we need it in 3.

#13 ·
Orlando International has recently revamped security lines so that there's an express lane for people who are experienced travelers, a medium line for people who know what they're doing and are kind of generally aware, and a lane for new travelers, people with children and people who are disabled. Considering that I fly with both a semi-disabled husband and now a baby, I'm really grateful.

We're heading to New York to see my family, and then we'll drive from my Mom and Dad near NYC to Canada to see my in laws. No dates yet-need to get Naomi a passport first, and then we can do that. If she's cooperative, we'll go pick up her birth certificate tomorrow and apply for a passport next week.

We have an "at-home-vacation" planned for this fall too...friends of ours are bringing their two children (their daughter will turn 4 the day after they go home, and their son will be a few months short of two) are coming down and renting a vacation house nearby. The house they're likely renting is large enough for both of our families and so we'll have a "vacation at home"-about an hour away, playing at some of the local attractions that we don't spend time at, and going in the pool at the house and what not.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.