Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hmmm, I'm just wondering what's normal?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 21 Old 05-13-2008, 04:59 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
like so many things in life, i think there's a *huge* range of what's considered "normal."

this baby virtually never fusses at all. if she's hungry she makes noise for a minute until i get a boob in her. she squirms and might make a squeak or two if she has to poop. that's about it. she's unbelevably mellow. my first was a much higher-need baby. even though she was in arms or in a carrier pretty much all the time, she was still a lot 'fussier' than DS or this one. and she had a very difficult time falling asleep. it was always a production. DS and DD2 pass out in no time flat and with no fuss at all. it has a lot to do with their personality, i think. and of course it can sometimes be related to food sensitivities, illness, allergies, gas, etc. though in DD1's case it wasn't - in fact, to this day she's still incredibly sensitive, and things upset her deeply that wouldn't bother other children. it's just how she is.
#3 of 21 Old 05-13-2008, 05:03 PM

My first 2 kids were colicky; dd screamed from 10p-1am every day for the first 4 mos of her life. ds1 screamed a lot but it was in blocks during the day. This LO now is fussier than most babies (I guess we just don't make happy newborns!) but it is easier to figure out what the problem is with him and fix it. As far as what is "normal" goes I think it depends on the temperament of the baby. Some are just easy going and never fuss and others are like mine
#4 of 21 Old 05-13-2008, 05:16 PM

Caleb is not colicky.... just grumpy and unimpressed with most people...
He likes to hang out with mom because that's where his boobies are at- and he knows it! He loves grandpa (b/c grandpa gets out the good burps) but tends to whine around grandma.

Your babe's fussiness could be because of several things... diet, maybe there are some big changes going on and needs comfort, maybe it's personality... the list goes on.
#5 of 21 Old 05-13-2008, 05:55 PM

She has been getting a fussy time in the late evening around 8ish and we just decided that she's overstimulated.

We found that if we take her to a dimly lit room without excess noise, she's happy again and will fall asleep around 9ish.

Otherwise she really only fusses if we miss her earlier cues to nurse - as in her big bro or daddy are holding her and don't pass her off to mom in time.
#6 of 21 Old 05-13-2008, 10:23 PM

If Lizzie isn't asleep or nursing, she's crying She's perfectly content if she's on the boob or asleep but any other time she's screaming her head off, I feel like I'm nursing 24/7 to keep her happy. Wondering if she could hace reflux because I can't think of anything in my diet that could be bothering her?? Its really frustrating!!!
#7 of 21 Old 05-14-2008, 03:21 AM

i'll just copy and paste what pixipunk said: nak

this baby virtually never fusses at all. if she's hungry she makes noise for a minute until i get a boob in her. she squirms and might make a squeak or two if she has to poop. that's about it. she's unbelevably mellow.

i have heard her cry twice...once in NICU with a blood prick, and once during the bath in the hospital. DS was like this too.
#8 of 21 Old 05-14-2008, 11:13 AM

My baby cries and fusses in his sleep, my granny says I marked him because I cried when I was pregnant all the time ........

hola.gif
#9 of 21 Old 05-14-2008, 11:40 AM

Soren fusses and grunts and complains a lot -- even in his sleep. i actually cannot sleep in the same room as him b/c i simply lie there, wide-eyed, wondering what's going on -- and this is my second, i should know better!

i think a bit of it w/soren is reflux & part is we just breed ticked off babies, i think. ds1 cried so so so much and had such a temper...

i was REALLY hoping for that mellow, compliant 2nd child to balance the obstinate, hurricane-like first.
#10 of 21 Old 05-14-2008, 02:17 PM

Quote:
My baby cries and fusses in his sleep, my granny says I marked him because I cried when I was pregnant all the time ........
OMG - i'm going to have to do something drastic to your grandmother! she says the craziest things! it is soooooo not your fault! If that theory were true, DD1 would've been an angel, and *this* baby would be the one crying and fussing all the time - i was a basket case and cried all the time for most of this recent pregnancy for one reason or another.
#11 of 21 Old 05-14-2008, 02:55 PM

My babe fusses a lot. My first DD did too. I just give birth to grumpy kids, lol.

She's a great sleeper but a horrible nurser. She fusses at the breast a lot. DD#1 was the opposite.
#12 of 21 Old 05-14-2008, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by melanyh View Post

i think a bit of it ... is we just breed ticked off babies, i think. ds1 cried so so so much and had such a temper...

i was REALLY hoping for that mellow, compliant 2nd child to balance the obstinate, hurricane-like first.
My experience exactly!
#13 of 21 Old 05-14-2008, 03:43 PM

again, didn't read all the replies but to answer the original question, my LO fusses when he's wet, poopy, hungry or tired. Otherwise he's a very mellow and laid back little man.

My ds1 fussed pretty much about EVERYTHING. It literally was like he was trapped in his body that wouldn't do what he wanted and go where he wanted so he was very unhappy until he got mobile and then still quite a bit fussy until he got verbal.

I TRULY think, barring any physical issues (sickness or such), it's a personality thing. Some babies/kids/people just whine more than others
#14 of 21 Old 05-14-2008, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishereal View Post
I hate to laugh because I know her comments bother you, but your grandma says the CRAZIEST things!

Quote:
Originally Posted by willemsmamma View Post
my LO fusses when he's wet, poopy, hungry or tired. Otherwise he's a very mellow and laid back little man.
Same here. He can be fussy between 6 and 10 pm because he's tired, hungry (cluster nursing), AND peeing constantly from all the nursing. But othewise, he's much more laid back and accepting of being put down than DD was.
#15 of 21 Old 05-15-2008, 08:42 AM

My LO fusses a lot. I think he has some reflux issues, and he is really gassy. I am on the Total Elimination Diet. It has made a big difference. he still has his fussy times, especially in the evenings.
#16 of 21 Old 05-15-2008, 09:00 AM

She fusses most of the day only when she wants milkies or to be held. But from 5-10pm, she has her "fussy time". Which pretty much means she nurses, naps for 5 mins, nurses, naps for 5 mins. I cant put her down or give her to DH for long. So while she isnt crying or anything, its certainly hard to feed my other kids and such.

Jenn, perpetually tired mom to DS(9): DD(4.5): DD(2) :
#17 of 21 Old 05-15-2008, 10:07 AM

4-11 p.m. is a tough time for us...I think it's gas a lot of the time, but am not sure why yet. It had better start subsiding soon, though, b/c it's making dh feel like he's not happy to see him in the evening!
#18 of 21 Old 05-15-2008, 11:31 AM

Diaper changes are wail-a-thons here.

Mama to twin girls Adele and Nadia, born 5/2008
#19 of 21 Old 05-15-2008, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BensMom View Post
She fusses most of the day only when she wants milkies or to be held. But from 5-10pm, she has her "fussy time". Which pretty much means she nurses, naps for 5 mins, nurses, naps for 5 mins. I cant put her down or give her to DH for long. So while she isnt crying or anything, its certainly hard to feed my other kids and such.
My LO does this same exact thing, at the same time. It's exhausting!

Mama to Eleanore Rae, born April 6, 2008 & Adelaide Jane, born December 16, 2010, Cautiously expecting #3 September 10, 2013

I blog! Check my profile for the link

#20 of 21 Old 05-15-2008, 06:45 PM

DS started out very chilled out, but he's gotten to be quite the complainer. He sleeps well at night, thankfully, but he does cry a lot of the time when he's awake. We have to do a lot of bouncing to keep him happy. I can't just keep him on the boob because he gets burpy or just won't take it after a while. He is quite aware of when he doesn't want a boob. I don't recall DD being that way. I think I could pretty much keep her on 24/7. Wait -- that's a lie. Just shows how your memory can morph over time. I had excruciating nipple problems with DD for the first 7 weeks and then it still hurt to some extent for a few more weeks. So I certainly wasn't keeping her on a minute more than I felt was necessary.

Anyway, back to the fussiness, I am convinced it's a overtired thing here. DS started out sleeping about 23 hours per day. That lasted for a good 3 weeks. Now I notice that if he somehow manages to not get a long nap or to be mostly awake with just a few cat naps in a several hour period, the rest of the day is shot and it's really hard to get him back to sleep. The wrap is the one foolproof method of getting him to sleep, but I don't always have somewhere to go that I feel like walking to, so I don't always try it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjoy2 View Post
Diaper changes are wail-a-thons here.
It was the same way with DS for a couple of weeks. He got over it.

Sarah, mother to Eloïse (5/2005), Lucas (3/2008) and Ilias (7/2011), and due with #4 (March 1, 2014)

#21 of 21 Old 05-17-2008, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahmck View Post
DS started out very chilled out, but he's gotten to be quite the complainer. He sleeps well at night, thankfully, but he does cry a lot of the time when he's awake. We have to do a lot of bouncing to keep him happy. I can't just keep him on the boob because he gets burpy or just won't take it after a while. He is quite aware of when he doesn't want a boob. I don't recall DD being that way.
Anyway, back to the fussiness, I am convinced it's a overtired thing here. DS started out sleeping about 23 hours per day. and it's really hard to get him back to sleep. The wrap is the one foolproof method of getting him to sleep,
As I was reading this I was thinking that sounds like our ds...WOW It seems all he wants to do is sleep if hes awake hes either eating or fussing or crying (which irritates my dh to no end). It seems he overeats then spits up everything because he wanted to suckle extra, and he won't take a pacifier.

I think this is payback for my dd who was so calm and mellow. The only time she was real cranky was 6-7 pm I can deal with an hour. DS is total opposite.

treehugger.gif Birth and PP doula, Mama to DD (7/04) DS (3/08)    belly.gifwith #3 EDD 11/29/13, and 30+ chicken3.gif , 2 ducks

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page