we're sick - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 05-24-2008, 11:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
nak

this is half a whine and half a question.. what do I do if Wyatt gets sick?

DH and I just both simultaneously came down with debilitating headaches, sweats, & nausea.. he's totally knocked off his feet & lying in bed with cool rags.. I just can't be that sick b/c I have to take care of us but I can barely move myself...

I don't have any baby tylenol in the house.. i feel so unprepared. The thought of Wyatt feeling as badly as DH and I do makes me want to cry.. my mom insists he wont get sick and i don't need to worry, but if he does i have no idea what to do..

XM,: mama to ds (5/08), dd (9/10) and ds (6/12) ! whale.gif :C.H.S & M.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 05-25-2008, 12:42 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
oh Mama that sucks! If you have sweats and think possibly a fever I would take tylenol or ibuprofen to get rid of it as you will feel a hundred times better. Also drink as much water as you can tolerate. Are you bf'ing? If so then your LO is getting lots of fluids and antibodies and both help ward of illness.

Word of caution though as I am an ER nurse- if you LO is less than 1 mos old and develops a fever it is recommended that you skip the tylenol and take him straight to his peds. The reason being that a fever in such a young one can indicate a very serious blood infection called sepsis. Most peds will want to draw blood, get urine and do a chest XRay at least and if they are really concerned they will do a lumbar puncture (spinal tap). I am not trying to freak you out but when I saw you wrote about baby tylenol I just wanted to pass along that info.

Hope you feel better soon!
#3 of 7 Old 05-25-2008, 01:35 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by treehuggermama View Post
Word of caution though as I am an ER nurse- if you LO is less than 1 mos old and develops a fever it is recommended that you skip the tylenol and take him straight to his peds.
Thank you!! I would have called them, but probably given tylenol first if he sounded really in pain Poor guy -- actually he's still fine but I'm worrying about him preemptively. That makes sense though of course ...

XM,: mama to ds (5/08), dd (9/10) and ds (6/12) ! whale.gif :C.H.S & M.

#4 of 7 Old 05-25-2008, 04:36 PM

I hope you guys feel better soon.
#5 of 7 Old 05-26-2008, 01:53 PM

Ahh Mama
First off I love your sons name HEHEHE

But anyway I just got over a bad cold and Wyatt didn't catch it he got a little runny nose and that was it. I suggest just keeping your peds. # on hand just in case and make sure your LO is nursing as much as they want.
#6 of 7 Old 05-26-2008, 01:59 PM

Even if he gets it, he won't get it as bad as you have it, because he's getting the antibodies you've been making against it.
#7 of 7 Old 05-26-2008, 09:27 PM
cmi

Sounds like you have what I had last Wednesday. My DD did have two unusually large spit ups that could have been vomits, but other than that she seems to have escaped the bug. My 3-yr-old DS got it the next day and I gave him the homeopathic remedy that had seemed to work for me (or it could have been giving in to the Tylenol) and he had this remarkable recovery that I've only read about in the homeopathy literature. Luckily DH didn't ever get it so he was able to take DS out and play with him while I was stuck in bed all day.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page