Not Healed and Still Bleeding? *c-section help* - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 05-25-2008, 12:08 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So this is kind of a double question... First, my LO is 5.5 weeks. I had stopped bleeding at about 4 weeks, it had been slowly tapering off. Then a couple days ago I started bleeding bright red blood again, like a period amount. Seems to soon to actually BE my period though, especially since I am EBF my LO. Is this normal? I went for a rather long/hilly walk last weekend... could this have something to do with it? I don't have any real increase in pain or anything... should I start taking my iron pills again?

Now, part 2... my c-section incision is still not healed!! Like, the skin is still not healed. Most of it is except for one section. I do not have a fever and it doesn't seem overly red or inflamed but if I press it a certain way it oozes a bit of white/clear stuff. The doctor said this is just normal drainage... is it normal for some of the incision to not be totally closed?? I have a doctor's appointment on Thursday...

Any input would be MUCH appreciated as I don't know anyone in person who has had a c-section!!!! Thanks in advance guys!!

Rachel, proud Army wife to my superhero.gif and SAHM to my crazy boys jumpers.gif... Trevor 4/08, Trenton 6/09 and Travis 10/10
#2 of 7 Old 05-25-2008, 01:55 AM

oh mama, I wish I had more answers for you. I hope another one of our C sec moms will come around to answer that one. However I think the bright red bleeding is probably due to the walk you mentioned. I'd just keep an eye on it and take it easy for a bit. I don't think it would hurt to take the iron pills again either.
#3 of 7 Old 05-25-2008, 02:46 PM

I wish I could say something totally reassuring... but both times, my incision was closed by the time they took out my staples three days PP. I do tend to heal fast, though.

If it doesn't smell funny, the fluid is clear, and you don't have a fever, I'd say that you're pretty sure to be infection-free... but I don't know why it's not closed up yet.
#4 of 7 Old 05-25-2008, 11:17 PM

Hey Mama...I am an RN and had my 1st c/s this time around so I'll try to answer your questions. I would think that the hilly walk might have triggered you to bleed red again. Usually that is the body's way of telling you to slow down. That being said though if you are still bleeding now I would definitely get in to go see your OB as he might want to make sure there isn't any tissue retained in your uterus causing the bleeding. I wouldn't think it would be your period yet if you EBF...And with the bleeding if you become dizzy, short of breath or have any other weird symptoms I would phone to get in right away or go to the ER...I was surprised to hear that your incision is still open at almost 6 weeks pp. I agree with the pp who said to keep an eye out for infection ie pus discharge, redness at the site/tenderness and/or fever. The thing with an opening that is concerning is that it can be an entry point for bacteria. Again I would be checking with your OB about that.

Sending healing vibes your way Mama.
#5 of 7 Old 05-26-2008, 01:17 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you! I have no symptoms of an infection at all... but I am keeping a very close eye on it. I have an appointment on Thursday so I will definitely be bringing all of this up. The bleeding seems to have almost stopped again... which is good. We shall see what the doctor says on Thursday. If anything that you mentioned happens I will definitely head to the ER or to see the triage nurse in the OB's office!

Rachel, proud Army wife to my superhero.gif and SAHM to my crazy boys jumpers.gif... Trevor 4/08, Trenton 6/09 and Travis 10/10
#6 of 7 Old 05-26-2008, 01:53 AM

Chely,

I had exactly the same experience. I had a buttonhole that didn't close for several weeks- I just had to keep an eye on it to make sure it didn't get infected (which it didn't, doc said those types of openings rarely get infected), and I also had a long five weeks of bleeding, and then my !@#$! period returned a week later. We're exclusively nursing too but it was definitely my period. My daughter is 8 months old (today! ) and I'm on my period, they've been coming somewhat-regularly ever since she was born.

Kristina in Kitsap County, WA
Doula, Student Midwife, Mama, Wife & More
http://redspiral.blogspot.com
#7 of 7 Old 05-26-2008, 03:14 AM

Can't speak to the incision issue, but I bled a normal period amount at 4 weeks post my c-section...then again at 8 weeks....then again at 12 weeks....and 16 weeks... You get the picture.

I, too, was EBF (though my babe was inclined to sleep 5 hours at a time at night on many nights - as he was gaining beautifully, I was not one to wake a sleeping infant!), cosleeping, etc.

My son was in the NICU for 48 hours where he was given some formula. I was nursing him at every opportunity and pumping like mad. Someone told me this may have been enough to spur my body to resume cycling.

Guess it was just the luck of the draw

"So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." - Jack Layton

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page