two weird things about my baby - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 06-01-2008, 10:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
my lo is terrorized by her moving hands and arms. I feel so bad for her - she just gets to sleep and her arms start moving like pinwheels and soon she is smacking herself in the face and waking herself up! It's so sad! I don't want to swaddle her, and feel like this is just her getting to know her body, but it is maddening to finally get her to sleep, only to have our work undone by those traitorous hands of hers...

also, there us this terrible pooping ritual that begins EVERY morning around 3:30 - she grunts and pushes loudly for an hour or more. it seems like she kind of sleeps through it (we don't!), but it must be awful, if it sounds like that. In fact, I wonder if she is making the noises she heard me make at her birth? It's that bad.

has anyone else encountered these two weird baby things?
#2 of 12 Old 06-01-2008, 11:46 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I swaddle my LO 'cause the whole moro reflex/falling sensation thing wakes him up all the time. Or he gets so worked up trying to fall asleep that it takes twice as long. He sometimes is mad initially to be swaddled but then quickly settles and sleeps longer.

As for the grunt/poop thing mine does that when he is awake from time to time but not while asleep (and I wake up at the drop of a pin so I would hear it!)
#3 of 12 Old 06-02-2008, 05:58 AM

May I ask why you don't want to swaddle?

Caleb had to be swaddled all the time the first 6 weeks for the same reasons. Now we just swaddle him for bedtime, and we just swaddle his arms, otherwise he would kick the swaddling undone.
#4 of 12 Old 06-02-2008, 09:08 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORLY? View Post
May I ask why you don't want to swaddle?

Caleb had to be swaddled all the time the first 6 weeks for the same reasons. Now we just swaddle him for bedtime, and we just swaddle his arms, otherwise he would kick the swaddling undone.
only because she never really liked it. we swaddled her for the first couple of weeks, but then it seemed to make her uncomfortable when she got a little bigger. I might try swaddling just her arms, though, if they continue to wake her.
#5 of 12 Old 06-02-2008, 10:41 AM

regarding the pooping/grunting thing, it's possible she's trying to hold it because she doesn't like the feeling of being in a dirty diaper. we EC, and my DD also cues very obviously prior to a poop. if i can't get her to a receptacle right away she will grunt and squirm like that for a really long time before she'll let loose in the diaper. but if i take off her diaper and hold her over the little potty or the sink or the bucket i keep next to the bed, she lets it go pretty much right away. might be something you want to try. have you read any about EC? it's so nice to have a baby who cues for poo like that, makes it really easy to catch
#6 of 12 Old 06-02-2008, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grivas View Post
my lo is terrorized by her moving hands and arms. I feel so bad for her - she just gets to sleep and her arms start moving like pinwheels and soon she is smacking herself in the face and waking herself up! It's so sad! I don't want to swaddle her, and feel like this is just her getting to know her body, but it is maddening to finally get her to sleep, only to have our work undone by those traitorous hands of hers...

also, there us this terrible pooping ritual that begins EVERY morning around 3:30 - she grunts and pushes loudly for an hour or more. it seems like she kind of sleeps through it (we don't!), but it must be awful, if it sounds like that. In fact, I wonder if she is making the noises she heard me make at her birth? It's that bad.

has anyone else encountered these two weird baby things?
Oh my, you just described my baby . In fact I was actually going to post this morning about the 3am poop ritual...how long does yours last? because ours goes on for hours....and may not culminate until 10-11am the next day....its exhausting, she feels better when she is upright...so we usually take turns walking around or sitting with her while she sleeps in 2 hour increments until she wakes for the day around 8am. It varies from night to night but usually she has gas pains later in the night...we even got the amby (even though we had planned to exclusively co-sleep) hoping that would help, but no such luck. Its very frustrating, because she so wants to sleep but her gas pains/determination to poop rouse her from sleep and keep her occupied (and me very awake--esp since she is squished right next to me)....
#7 of 12 Old 06-03-2008, 09:32 AM - Thread Starter

our drama usually lasts an hour or so. last night, I tried doing a tummy massage before the 12:30 and 3:30 feedings. that seemed to help with the pains, but then she was nice and awake at 4! ugh, we were up until after 5 am until she felt sleepy again. I'll try the massage again tonight, but keep it shorter, I guess. my midwife suggested that maybe she wasn't really hungry at 3:30, but was comfort nursing, getting more milk than her tummy could handle at that time.
unfortunately, we can't EC because I'm going back to work.
#8 of 12 Old 06-03-2008, 07:43 PM

Izzy starts her grunting around 6:00 and it's accompanied by constant farting. she only poos every other day though and it's usually not until later in the afternoon. Her grunting stops after she gets up around 9.
#9 of 12 Old 06-04-2008, 01:34 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
DD's arms do the pinwheel thing too. During naps I sometimes put her on her tummy, which stills her arms and helps her sleep peacefully without startling. I'm too chicken to put her on her tummy at night, though, so we still swaddle at nighttime. I figure she has plenty of time to get to know her body while she's awake -- she doesn't need to do it at 3am, at the expense of everyone's sleep!

DH+Me 1994 heartbeat.gif DS 2004 heartbeat.gif DD 2008 heartbeat.gif DDog 2014
#10 of 12 Old 06-04-2008, 02:15 PM - Thread Starter

yeah, we do tummy sleep during the day, too. it means the difference between a one hour nap or a two hour nap! she doesn't "pinwheel" at night - maybe too sleepy. btw - tummy massages really help with that 3am grunt-fest. she only grunted for about 20 minutes last night, rather than an hour or more. i did some tummy rubs in the evening before bed, then more rubbing while she grunted at 3am, and we didn't even have to get out of bed.
#11 of 12 Old 06-07-2008, 12:44 PM

yes! the constantly flailing arms (still at 10 weeks) are very distracting. They move ALL the time. He'll just get to sleep (which takes a long long time, with one of us letting him suck on a pinky finger), and then wham! those arms swing up and wake him.

ours has a lot of grunting when he poops...it's throughout the day. Since I know that runny poops can't hurt, I just find it funny.
#12 of 12 Old 06-09-2008, 05:10 PM

It's funny, DS constantly swings his arms around but it never wakes him up! We have tons of swaddlers we got as gifts gathering dust...

WOHM to Leo (4/08) reading.gif and enjoying the journey with DH geek.gif

Announcing the arrival of Clara in August 2013! homebirth.jpg

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page