So what useless baby stuff do you have? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-04-2008, 05:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Here's our list:

crib: don't know why we got this, as we're cosleeping. It's full of stuffed animals someone bought us and the mass quantities of blankets everyone and their mother gave us

monitor: why do we need these if we're cosleeping????

stroller: I'm wearing dd every time we go anywhere, although we'll probably use it once she gets a bit bigger

cosleeper: we had a queen sized bed, so we thought this would be perfect... until dd refused to sleep in it and it was impossible to get her out of it anyway after my c-section. I hate that it's not level with the bed!

onesies: we have a billion, and I prefer baby t-shirts, which are harder to find, but the onesies don't work with her wool shorties

so we bought:

snugglenest for our bed (dh talked me into getting it): I hated this, as I couldn't cuddle her and didn't feel secure unless I had my arm around her

Things we love:

our new king bed

peanut shell pouch~ dd loves it and I find it more comfy than the ring sling. I also have a babyhawk coming

Mama to Eleanore Rae, born April 6, 2008 & Adelaide Jane, born December 16, 2010, Cautiously expecting #3 September 10, 2013

I blog! Check my profile for the link

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-04-2008, 05:32 PM

I think the only things we don't use are the bassinet and the vibratey chair thing. We use the cosleeper (as a "supply box" LOL and a barrier since our bed is tall, now that he wont sleep in it for long), the swingy thing, the slings, the stroller etc.
Old 06-04-2008, 06:00 PM

After our first we had a lot of unneeded things...but now since we kinda know what works for us we don't have much not being used. I would say the only things we don't really use are the cutsie clothes people always get us for the newborn-3 months period. I prefer the simplicity of just onsies or shirts and simple pants.

Other than that, the only things we really have baby wise are: carseat, carriers, amby bed, pump so I can get out once in a while or nap, playgym and swing. All of which we def use

"Parents are simply trustees; they do not own the bodies of their children"-Norm Cohen  Martial arts instructor intactlact.gifhomebirth.jpgnak.gif and mom to 4: DD1 (1/05) DS (7/06) DD2 (5/08) DD3 (2/11)
Old 06-04-2008, 06:01 PM

The swing, she hates it. After my 2nd DD who HAD to be in the swing to be happy I figured it would be good to have one. We have barely used it, I'll sneak her in it if she's asleep so I can get a few things done but for the most part it sits there.

Our sidecar crib - We'll most likely use it later but as much as I was opposed to her sleeping right next to me in bed we never use the side car. In fact it houses her diapers so it's easier for me to do changes at night! lol She sleeps right next to me and I'm loving it.

Pretty much most of the clothes I bought for her. We love her Hanna sleepers for at night but during the day she's in a onesie or a t-shirt. All of the cute little outfits just sit in her closet. After 4 kids you would think I would have learned that lesson!

The Hotsling - I hate it, she hates it. I'm saving so I can get an Ergo for when she gets a little older.
Old 06-04-2008, 06:43 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I ended up buying a lot of things I can't use.

I thought a moses basket would come in handy, even though I never used one with my older child. DS is always in the Ergo, he won't sleep in a moses basket...always wakes up.

I thought I would need a co-sleeper since I'm still sleeping with dd too, but no one will touch the co-sleeper except the cat. I do, however, use it to store extra pillows. Luckily it's only borrowed.

I will say that the Ergo is the single MOST useful baby item I've ever had. It has made all my other slings and stroller totally obsolete.
Old 06-04-2008, 07:18 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
our co-sleeper was useless at first, too, because it's so much lower than our bed. what's the point? anyway, we boosted the co-sleeper mattress with a perfectly sized sofa cushion, so now baby is sleeping on a surface level with our bed. what a difference! now it really is like an extension of our bed.

useless: all those sleepers that say "cute", "squeeze me!", "sweet girl", etc. yuck. i know she's cute; i don't need her jammies to tell me that.

if i may add a Priceless baby stuff category: the yoga ball i bounced on during pregnancy. i was looking forward to deflating it and putting it away (i think it's ugly and in the way), but it is THE BEST way to soothe my crying lo. i'm on it for at least 4 hours a day.
Old 06-04-2008, 08:04 PM

The crib. My in-laws bought it when I was pregnant with #1, and we only used it for 6 months before we started cosleeping, and I have no intention of using it this time around. I'm going to see if my SIL wants it.

The swing. DD hated it, but we kept it in case our next child liked it. Nope, he's not thrilled with it either.
Old 06-04-2008, 08:11 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
All the cutesie 0-3-month clothes -- I just can't see dressing her in anything but sleepers or onesies & cotton pants while she's so tiny.

The swing -- she's so not into it, but we're keeping it thinking she may change her mind as she gets older.

My Hotsling -- I had such high hopes, but I can't stand how nonadjustable it is (it might just be too small -- I feel like I'm crushing her when I put her in it). She and I both like the Maya Wrap much better.

DH+Me 1994 heartbeat.gif DS 2004 heartbeat.gif DD 2008 heartbeat.gif DDog 2014
Old 06-04-2008, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grivas View Post
our co-sleeper was useless at first, too, because it's so much lower than our bed. what's the point? anyway, we boosted the co-sleeper mattress with a perfectly sized sofa cushion, so now baby is sleeping on a surface level with our bed. what a difference! now it really is like an extension of our bed.
I'm not saying from experience or anything, as this is my first and I haven't even bought one of those yet, but I have read online that there are extensions that you can buy that boost up the legs of the co-sleeper so it is level with your bed. I have read that they only go so far though and if your bed is too high even the extensions won't help.

Rachel lady.gif, in love with my baby girl Abigailenergy.gifborn 9/17/08!
Old 06-04-2008, 08:35 PM

So far the stroller hasn't gotten any use. If we didn't live on a dirt road it might be more likely. That might turn out to be a big waste of $$$ though unless we go do something that requires a ton of walking-like a fair or something lol. I wear DS for what little we go out.
The snugglenest, tried it the first night, DS hated it, I put it right back in the box lol! Gotta get around to selling it.
The monitor and all the onesies-they were free passed along though.

The most useful? My exercise ball, just like Grivas, the bouncy seat for 5-10 minute breaks, and now my mei tai. Oh, and all the old Gerber dipes we use as burp cloths for this new spit up stage:

Life with a toddler: it's not so much the volume, it's the pitch!
Old 06-05-2008, 12:05 AM

We use pretty much everything at this point... my mom's house (where we are living) is insanely big and has a ton of stairs so we have one swing on the first floor, a pack n play in the family room (which is its own seperate level over the garage), a bouncer seat on the second floor and a swing on the top floor (which is our room!) That way there is something for him in every location since he honestly enjoys being with us and not being held all the time. He gets over stimulated really fast... He has too many clothes but we bought none of them so I don't mind

Rachel, proud Army wife to my superhero.gif and SAHM to my crazy boys jumpers.gif... Trevor 4/08, Trenton 6/09 and Travis 10/10
Old 06-05-2008, 12:32 AM

all the 0-3 month clothes that were gifts - she outgrew them in two weeks!

all the AIO WAHM diapers I bought used - she's too big for them and pees WAY too much for them to hold it

the newborn gowns we bought that we LOVED with DD1 - this baby is just built differently and we preferred sleepers for the early weeks

all the newborn shoes/booties that were gifts - her feet were and are just HUGE

not useless, but less used are our ring slings - this baby just prefers the Hmong carrier and likes to be upright more than the slings permit
Old 06-05-2008, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by funfunkyfantastic View Post
I'm not saying from experience or anything, as this is my first and I haven't even bought one of those yet, but I have read online that there are extensions that you can buy that boost up the legs of the co-sleeper so it is level with your bed. I have read that they only go so far though and if your bed is too high even the extensions won't help.
i've heard of that, too.
well, the co-sleeper mattress is dropped way down inside the unit, and the side rail between baby and you will be right in the way if you raise the whole thing. we wanted to be able to reach out and touch her without reaching down over the side rail. the side rail folds down, but it's still in the way. hard to explain, but it's like putting baby in a box. no matter how high up the box is, you will still need to reach down inside to the bottom of it to pick the baby up. what we did was raise the "floor" of that box so it's more shallow. i'm sure that the manufacturers of the co-sleeper would say not to do this and that it poses a safety threat, but, getting back to the original subject of this thread, it makes a useless object useful!
Old 06-05-2008, 11:38 AM

the more you know the less you need

I saw that on a bumper sticker once--seems appropriate!

the only useless stuff we have are baby clothes (sleepers?) that snap down the leg. After getting a cloth dipe and cover on my baby, the last thing I want to do are 10 more snaps. No thanks. Plus, I change this baby about 18 times a day.

we love our 3 slings, diapers & covers, and a lambskin for the bed.

AND the birth ball--we put baby in the sling and bounce on that.
Old 06-05-2008, 02:05 PM

Breasts. They just don't work and I'm really frustrated and sad. Don't mind me, I'm bitter.

Socks. It's been above 80 pretty much since she was born, and is now in the 90s, so she's not worn socks.

Warm clothes. Again with the weather. My Mom got some really cute fleece sleepers on a clearance rack but they're not useful to us right now. Maybe for baby #2 or when we travel.

The glider. I suspect when we have more bedtime routine, or when she sleeps in the crib rather than the co-sleeper or on one of us it will be more useful. Right now the cats like it a lot.

The play gym type things...the ones you lay the baby under and they play with the toys. Might be useful later though. Again, a place to park her to dunk a diaper or something.

We do use the crib-it's a place to park her to dunk a diaper, or something.

The baby monitor is great too...it lets us know when the cats are getting into trouble in that part of the house, or when one of us needs to ask the other a question about something (did you take diapers out of the dryer or whatever)
Old 06-05-2008, 02:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikaG View Post

Warm clothes. Again with the weather. My Mom got some really cute fleece sleepers on a clearance rack but they're not useful to us right now. Maybe for baby #2 or when we travel.
I hear you on that. I got all long sleeve 3-6 month clothes at the shower I had. I live in North Carolina and she was born in April. WTH are people thinking? Sure July and August are the PERFECT time for fleece and long sleeves... At least they're gender neutral so maybe the timing will work for our next baby.

Mama to Eleanore Rae, born April 6, 2008 & Adelaide Jane, born December 16, 2010, Cautiously expecting #3 September 10, 2013

I blog! Check my profile for the link

Old 06-05-2008, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by splath View Post
I hear you on that. I got all long sleeve 3-6 month clothes at the shower I had. I live in North Carolina and she was born in April. WTH are people thinking? Sure July and August are the PERFECT time for fleece and long sleeves... At least they're gender neutral so maybe the timing will work for our next baby.
I know what you mean about gender neutral-it was one of the perks of not finding out what we were having beyond "a baby" before she was born. Some of the stuff is very cute, but it's taking up space right now. I'm going to pack almost all of it up when she's outgrown her newborn clothes (she's still fitting into some of them, though over the cloth butt it's a tight squeeze sometimes.) I'm sure a few things will be useful this summer when we travel up north (my Mom and Dad are in New York, and my husband's family is in northern Ontario, Canada, and the summer trips there have been chilly before, so I'll bring a few warmer things when we go.)

Seriously, at home, she wears a diaper, and that's about it.
Old 06-05-2008, 05:45 PM

I think it's interesting that some people's useless items are big hits in my house. We cosleep, but the monitor is great for naps. I've even gardened outside during a nap and taken the monitor with me. And DS absolutely LOVES hanging toys. He's been in his gym for at least a half hour, and he's still happily batting and cooing at the hanging toys.
Old 06-05-2008, 06:05 PM

I use the monitor like crazy NOW. Before 5 months, my baby napped on me; but now, she naps by herself most of the time. I like to be able to shut the door and do grown up stuff while she sleeps, so I have a monitor to listen to her. Also she sleeps in our bed so I want to hear if she is moving around a lot so I can go make sure she doesn't roll out! (She doesn't!)

Anyways, pre 5 months, I definitely thought the monitor was useless too. In fact, it didn't come out of the package until then!
Old 06-05-2008, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikaG View Post
I know what you mean about gender neutral-it was one of the perks of not finding out what we were having beyond "a baby" before she was born.
we got gender neutral stuff, too, since we didn't find out what our baby's sex was. all the pink, cutesy stuff came in waves after she was born! we thought we were so cool, avoiding it all, but it was just delayed. people can't resist.
Old 06-05-2008, 07:32 PM

Nothing!!
Finally, with my fifth baby I finally haven't gotten and kept stuff I don't want/need!

mama to the Girls (15, 14, 13) and the Littles (5, 3) 
Old 06-09-2008, 07:01 PM

I know Erika, my boobs are fairly useless too...

Sleepers - he sleeps with us, so he's plenty warm at night and it's gotten hot here already anyway.

Like others have said, our side-carred crib is a very large night-time changing table right now, but maybe later when he's more squirmy at night.

WOHM to Leo (4/08) reading.gif and enjoying the journey with DH geek.gif

Announcing the arrival of Clara in August 2013! homebirth.jpg

Old 06-09-2008, 09:16 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Luckily we didn't buy any of our useless stuff. We have an assortment of baby seats borrowed from my cousin - swing, bouncy thing, and vibrating chair - but he hates anything that puts him in the slouchy posture.

We also have an assortment of blankets, clothes, and burp cloths that we don't like enough to use. I need to pull out anything that can go to consignment and send the rest to good will -- at least that will help with the taxes

XM,: mama to ds (5/08), dd (9/10) and ds (6/12) ! whale.gif :C.H.S & M.

Old 06-09-2008, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GISDiva View Post
I know Erika, my boobs are fairly useless too...
It makes me feel a little better to know that I'm not the only one in the DDC...we're doing the best we can, she gets a little of my breastmilk, but the great majority of her feeding is not me. I'm just glad that people have been so kind and donated milk to us so that she can get a mix of the good stuff and formula.

User Tag List