I'm STARVING. Anyone else? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-22-2008, 10:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
nak
Okay, so, the last couple of days Caleb has been going through a growth spurt- on the boob all the time and cranky as can be!
I eat my usual meals, of the the usual portion size, and feel SO. HUNGRY. afterwards.
Like, I could eat two more helpings, YKWIM? :
I'm sure this probably has to do with me bfing all the time.
What do you do when the hunger strikes? What types of snacks do you munch on?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-23-2008, 12:06 AM

Kalum is too and was on the boob every hour when awake the last 48 hrs!! I too am starving but too tired to go grocery shopping so I am eating lots of carbs and crap...However if I was smarter about it I would go get some snacks with more protein in them At least I am drinking lots of water!
Old 06-23-2008, 12:58 AM

Oh yes. I am much more hungry breastfeeding than I EVER was pregnant. I'm starving constantly and it's almost as if I can't control what I eat because I'm so hungry. (I know I can, but I'm just saying I could eat myself out of house and home.)

One thing that seems to help me a lot is eating carrots dipped in hummus. Lots of protein. Also, a peanut or cashew butter sandwich settles the hunger. If I eat anything else, though, I'm starving.

Andrea fly-by-nursing2.gif - Mommy to DD1 ('05), DD2 ('08), DD3 (6/17/11) cd.gif homebirth.jpg

Old 06-23-2008, 02:04 AM

yeah. yeah. yeah. Hungry and can't seem to find the time/help to 1. make a grocery list that makes sense; 2. shop or send someone else to do it; 3. prep snacks and meals at home;actually eat when I have a free second. I'm losing weight but don't want to lose too much...

My DH saw me express breast milk yesterday - it was like 4+ oz from each boob in probably 3 minutes time, and then I stopped the pump to not overstimulate milk production - he saw the amount and was like, 'Whoa, do you want something to eat? That's a lot of energy there!'

Mama to twin girls Adele and Nadia, born 5/2008
Old 06-23-2008, 07:46 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjoy2 View Post
My DH saw me express breast milk yesterday - it was like 4+ oz from each boob in probably 3 minutes time, and then I stopped the pump to not overstimulate milk production - he saw the amount and was like, 'Whoa, do you want something to eat? That's a lot of energy there!'
At least your dh understands it takes a lot of energy!
I beg DH to make me a snack or to make dinner by warming-up some leftovers and he is like, "Here, here is an APPLE."

Are you fetchin' kidding me? AN APPLE? I've never been more insulted in all my life!
My husband is usually the most considerate man ever, but something is not clicking when it comes to food and bfing. Like, how I NEED it.
Old 06-23-2008, 04:36 PM

i haven't noticed it too much with this baby (maybe because i've been nursing non-stop for 5 years?) but with DD1 and DS i was starving all. the. time. and i got in the habit of eating really quickly because i was always afraid if i took my time i'd get interrupted by the baby (after it happened about a zillion times). DH would jokingly tell visitors not to get too close to me at meal times 'cuz i might gobble them up too by mistake

definitely snacks with protein pack the most punch. smoothies are great for this because they're quick to make and easy to consume even if you've got your hands full of baby. i make mine with either homemade yogurt or kefir, fresh or frozen fruit, and juice. sometimes if i think of it i add a scoop of protein powder or a powdered greens supplement i have to boost the nutritional value even more. nuts are good to snack on if your baby isn't sensitive to them, and nut butters on sandwiches or i like it on fresh fruits and veggies (especially apples and celery). i've been eating lots of Larabars lately - they're snack bars made from nuts and dried fruit - and nothing else! they are raw, vegan, dairy free, gluten free, soy free. and most importantly, frickin' delicious : and easy to eat one-handed while you're nursing i also buy some ranch dressing/dip mix from Frontier and always have some dip handy (i usually make it with yogurt, sometimes sour cream) and have that with some cherry tomatoes, baby carrots, celery, etc. my kids love it too.

and one of our fave snacks around here are peanut butter honey milk balls. no cooking, it takes like 2 minutes tops to make. you just take 1 cup of peanut butter, 1 cup of honey, 1/2 cup of rolled oats, 1/2 cup of powdered milk. mix it all together, then form into little bite-sized balls. chill in the fridge to set them, and then pop one or two whenever you need a little something to nosh. packed with protein and they satisfy my endless nursing sweet tooth.

OK... now i'm wicked hungry gotta go have a snack!
Old 06-23-2008, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORLY? View Post
At least your dh understands it takes a lot of energy!
I beg DH to make me a snack or to make dinner by warming-up some leftovers and he is like, "Here, here is an APPLE."

Are you fetchin' kidding me? AN APPLE? I've never been more insulted in all my life!
My husband is usually the most considerate man ever, but something is not clicking when it comes to food and bfing. Like, how I NEED it.
OH boy! Yeah, my DH is very sweet in general and hasn't missed the boat on this one - however, he can't really cook (weird, b/c all of my male friends are totally into food and cooking but the one I married is more of the basic 'can fry eggs' deal). But yeah, he can warm up leftovers! Or at least add some nut butter or cheese to that apple!
Maybe this is just one of those things you have to explain to your DH that you need his help with!!!
Oh, and make those peanut butter balls that Pixie wrote about - we eat them in our family, too, and they are yummy!

...and I am going grocery shopping today... :

Mama to twin girls Adele and Nadia, born 5/2008
Old 06-24-2008, 12:34 AM

Glad to hear it's not just me!!! :

I was never this hungry while nursing dd. Never. I'm not eating anything unhealthy, but it's really funny to me how I feel the need for much heartier snacks. My appetite went through the roof as soon as he was out of my belly!
Old 07-03-2008, 09:28 AM

Gah, same here. Not exactly conducive to getting rid of the baby flab. I keep reminding myself that it's for his benefit. I have the greediest body, my milk supply drops off big time if I don't eat right.
Old 07-03-2008, 01:31 PM

I feel like I'm not really eating much, but I am blowing through food and we shop at Costco (fruits, snacks, meats, cheeses). I always feel like there is no food in the house but when I think about it, it's because I eat it all! I am nursing two and my toddler is still nursing about five times a day. I try to feed her as much food as I can right now, because she was nursing eight times a day when my milk came in and she practically stopped eating. She still barely nibbles on stuff now, a few bites here and there but I can't really get her to eat much. So I'm providing the bulk of her nutritional needs for her and then all for ds and myself. I actually ended up putting on some weight after ds was born but I think that's okay, since I am nursing so much. I'm sure my appetite will match my needs if I pay attention to eating well. Okay dd is insisting on nursing, must go...

Mom to DD ('06) and DS ('08)

User Tag List