Whats in your Library? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 09-05-2007, 10:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What great pregnancy/ childbirth books have you read? What would you recommend or what haven't you read but want to? So far my favorites are Baby Catcher and Ina Mays Guide to Childbirth. My favorite parts are all the stories of different births. I have reread both books at least three times. I also am using the Dr Sears Pregnancy book as a month by month refrence for what is going on inside.

Livin' surf.gif Laughin' lol.gif Lovin' joy.gif - Just Me and Sammers, my homebirthin' little girl. 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 10 Old 09-05-2007, 10:59 AM

I have the what to expect book, but I won'tr read it this time... I want to get (or borrow from my LLL) that book they have on tandem nursing, though I can't remember the title.

Theresa, Mom to DS 4-6-06, and DD 5-11-08, and another on the way anyday.
WAHM behind Crystal City Fibers on Etsy.
#3 of 10 Old 09-05-2007, 11:09 AM

I would recommend these:

The Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth
Sheila Kitzinger's The Complete Book of Pregnancy and Childbirth
Adventures in Tandem Nursing
The Breastfeeding Cafe

Last time I was pregnant I read the Dr Sears Breastfeeding Book, but I wasn't that impressed.

mom to sam arlo (5), olive loretta (3)....and twin girls Annie and Ramona Jean, born 3/10.

#4 of 10 Old 09-05-2007, 11:11 AM

I second Sheila Kitzinger's book.

And for easy reading I reccomend "The Birth House".....really an empowering story!
#5 of 10 Old 09-05-2007, 11:12 AM

Oh, yeah! I forgot Birthing from Within!

mom to sam arlo (5), olive loretta (3)....and twin girls Annie and Ramona Jean, born 3/10.

#6 of 10 Old 09-05-2007, 11:56 AM

Spiritual Midwifery, although I don't love her judgment about having a 'bad attitude,' the assumption that you're gonna want to make out with 'your man,' and the fact her husband seems to be all knowing and is responsible for every good idea anyone ever has.

I'm re-reading it and I'm a little bitter. But still, a LOT of really, really good stuff in that book.
#7 of 10 Old 09-05-2007, 01:41 PM

I liked the Mayo clinic guide to a healthy pregnancy, it was very no nonsense and I loved how it had a section for each week of your pregnancy.

Dalila, mom to two boys, 7 and 5

490/2013

#8 of 10 Old 09-05-2007, 10:03 PM

I really enjoyed Having Faith. The author is an ecologist, and very knowledgeable about the process of pregnancy, breastfeeding, etc., as well as how our environment affects us and our babies. The book chronicles the story of her pregnancy, birth and first years of her dd's life (her dd's name is Faith). Her personal story is mixed with a lot of really interesting information about pregnancy, bf'ing, etc., as well as some rather sobering information on chemicals, toxins, etc., and how they are transmitted to babies. It was truly fascinating, and a very good read. I may pick it up again this time around.

High on my list is The Aware Baby, by Aletha Solter. With dd I felt like I read everything under the sun on pregnancy and birth, but neglected to read any parenting stuff . I never ended up reading this book because I felt like dd was too old. It's time to read it now.

I also just saw a recommendation on the I'm Pg forum for this book: Welcoming the soul of a child. It looks fascinating.

Mama to M (7/05) and S (5/08) my surprise !!!
#9 of 10 Old 09-05-2007, 10:25 PM

Where do I even begin? My husband and I are both librarians so we collect books and we have tons of books on pregnancy and childbirth, most which deal with natural pregnancy and/or home birth. Here is a smattering of what we have:

"The Birth Partner" by Simkin (This one is my favorite.)
"Immaculate Deception II" by Suzanne Arms
"The Natural Pregnancy Book" by Aviva Jill Romm
"Pregnancy the Natural Way" by Zita West
"The Naturally Healthy Pregnancy" by Shonda Parker
"Homebirth" by Sheila Kitzinger (I have several of Kitzinger's books.)
"Loving Mama: Essays on Natural Parenting and Motherhood" edited by Tiffany Palisi (I find myself reading this one a lot because it is just a collection of essays from real life mjoms.)

I also have a couple books on The Bradley Method and Lamaze and a bunch of others that were not within easy reach. I didn't realize I had so many. :
#10 of 10 Old 09-06-2007, 12:58 PM

I thought of another good parenting-type book: Our Babies, Ourselves. Really enjoyed this one -- it talks about all the different ways babies are raised around the world, and exposes that many of our common perceptions about the "right" way to do things are culturally -- not scientifically -- based.

I just read a thread in my FYT area where a local midwife raved about a new book called Pushed, about how our "modern" medical system is messing up birth. It just moved to the top of my list!

Mama to M (7/05) and S (5/08) my surprise !!!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page