Once you're in the thick of the nausea, does it still come/go to some extent? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 19 Old 09-25-2007, 04:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Asking coz yesterday I felt awful, today I feel almost okay. And it's freaking me out.
#2 of 19 Old 09-25-2007, 04:31 PM

Yes it does. The mornings are the worst for me (I have even been nauseaus during the night!). Some days its stronger than others.

Does anyone know why we get MS? Is it something the body is lacking? A certain protein or vitamin?

Anne, Mama to Conner 2/27/04 blahblah.gif  Gabrielle 2/6/06 W/LMC-TCS, Neurogenic Bladder, AFO & KAFO wearer, Neurogenic Bowel energy.gif & Delaney 5/12/08 mischievous.gif &  Beethoven cat.gif& Gizmo cat.gif

#3 of 19 Old 09-25-2007, 04:51 PM
dis

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Does anyone know why we get MS? Is it something the body is lacking? A certain protein or vitamin?
I'm not sure if anyone knows for sure, but my personal theory is that MS is an evolutionary advantage - during the early part, when a woman doesn't know if she's pregnant and there's no outward signs other than a missed period, MS could prevent her from eating anything bad or doing anything dangerous during the time the fetus is at its most vulnerable.
#4 of 19 Old 09-25-2007, 07:20 PM

I was the same today!! I had a few moments of feeling icky, but mostly I felt okay. And it totally freaks me out, too.

I gagged more than usual this morning, maybe I got it out of my system? LOL! I will take gagging without an upset tummy any day over no gagging but constant nausea!
#5 of 19 Old 09-25-2007, 07:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluepetals View Post
I was the same today!! I had a few moments of feeling icky, but mostly I felt okay. And it totally freaks me out, too.

I gagged more than usual this morning, maybe I got it out of my system? LOL! I will take gagging without an upset tummy any day over no gagging but constant nausea!
I'm really reassured to hear you say this. I am beside myself with anxiety about this today! My nausea is not totally gone, and my appetite is still really low. But I feel WAAAY better than I did yesterday, and it's freaking me out.

I have the gagging too, without the nausea. How weird, eh? The last few days I've been feeling the nausea in my throat, not as much in my stomach, if that makes sense. Now I have the lump in my throat but the stomach issues are less.

Gah. I hope everything is okay. I'm 9 weeks, pretty much today. I'm reading symptoms start lessening for some women at this point. I see you are 8 weeks, so pretty close to where I am. I didn't know that about nausea lessening earlier for some women, and I was sick with my daughter until 13.5 weeks. This time the sickness started sooner though...

Man, if I'm going to feel like this, AND still be pregnant, I will be in heaven. This is downright doable, much more so than last week when I was trying not to vomit in class.
#6 of 19 Old 09-25-2007, 07:36 PM

By 9 weeks last time, I was starting to have good days in between the bad. So it's totally possible that's happening for you this time around :-) And maybe it is happening earlier for me this time...? Ack, I cannot WAIT for the end of October. I really can't.
#7 of 19 Old 09-25-2007, 07:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
By 9 weeks last time, I was starting to have good days in between the bad. So it's totally possible that's happening for you this time around :-) And maybe it is happening earlier for me this time...? Ack, I cannot WAIT for the end of October. I really can't.
When did your morning sickness start last time? And this time?
#8 of 19 Old 09-25-2007, 07:53 PM

It started around 5 1/2 to 6 weeks both times. I am lucky, I don't get hit too hard with it. Last time I didn't completely shake it till 14 weeks...I was 14 weeks exactly the day I actually felt REAL hunger again (I don't feel hungry when I have m/s, even today I could tell I was hungry but I didn't FEEL hungry, kwim?)
#9 of 19 Old 09-25-2007, 08:01 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah, I totally know what you mean! My appetite is gone gone gone. I can tell I'm hungry coz I get extra pukey or my blood sugar crashes and I get shaky. Other than that, no hunger signs!

Mine stayed til nearly 14 weeks last time too. But it didn't hit until 8 weeks, and I didn't feel it even a little until 7ish. This time I felt a bit nauseous days before I got my positive test! It has only been really bad the last two weeks though.

I'm really hoping everything is fine.
#10 of 19 Old 09-25-2007, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dis View Post
I'm not sure if anyone knows for sure, but my personal theory is that MS is an evolutionary advantage - during the early part, when a woman doesn't know if she's pregnant and there's no outward signs other than a missed period, MS could prevent her from eating anything bad or doing anything dangerous during the time the fetus is at its most vulnerable.

I like this theory.

HBACing, co-sleeping, breastfeeding, babywearing, d/s vaccinating, food and fitness-loving single mommy to two little monsters.
#11 of 19 Old 09-26-2007, 06:54 PM

thismama, how has yours been today? I am kinda freaking again because although it came back last night and I was feeling a little off this morning, I actually felt real and true HUNGER at lunchtime. Like, stomach-growling, gimme-food hunger. I can't believe I am worried about feeling normal, but I am!!!
#12 of 19 Old 09-26-2007, 09:14 PM

Oh, I'm definitely in the thick of it, and I have good days and bad. Last week I was terrified because I had one day with nearly NO nausea. A little bit, but really not bad. I thought something was wrong. The next day was similar, then I had 2 days of AWFUL sickness. Obviously I'm still pregnant, it just seems to come and go. Today was a really good day. I felt a little sick in the morning, but pretty good by about 9-10am and not too bad most of the day after that. No telling what tomorrow will bring!!

I'm similar on the hunger though. I haven't been hungry since 5wks (I'm in my 9th now). Not properly hungry, instead I feel pukey. Then I don't want to eat anything, but the only way to make it better is to eat or (after a long period of increasingly awful pukiness) puke. If I hadn't figured that out, I think I'd have stopped eating altogether somewhere in the middle of the 6th week...

ribbonrainbow.gif: mamas to one DD (5/08) and two DS's (11/9/10 @ 35wks)
blogging.jpgnocirc.gifdelayedvax.gifgd.gif1pump.giftoddler.giffamilybed2.gifcd.gif
#13 of 19 Old 09-26-2007, 09:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
thismama, how has yours been today? I am kinda freaking again because although it came back last night and I was feeling a little off this morning, I actually felt real and true HUNGER at lunchtime. Like, stomach-growling, gimme-food hunger. I can't believe I am worried about feeling normal, but I am!!!
I know! I worry about feeling normal too. Today I felt a bit queasy in the morning, which was reassuring. Then I got the runs (I've been constipated for days - I'm sure you're thrilled to read the intimate details of that!). So I was kind of freaking out. Then I felt fine in the afternoon, and pretty sick this evening.

All in all significantly better than I have been feeling, although still far from 100%. It's... sick but tolerable now, whereas even two or three days ago it was horrible and debilitating. Kwim?

I spent ages on here yesterday reading threads where women's nausea disappeared around 8-9 weeks, and they were freaking out. Very reassuring to see the pregnancy tickers in their siggies, and people are like 34 weeks, 29 weeks now.

All the same I woke up at 4:30 am stressing about it. Gah, early pregnancy is freaking stressful.

If you're worried, search 'disappearing symptoms.'
#14 of 19 Old 09-26-2007, 09:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGirls View Post
Oh, I'm definitely in the thick of it, and I have good days and bad. Last week I was terrified because I had one day with nearly NO nausea. A little bit, but really not bad. I thought something was wrong. The next day was similar, then I had 2 days of AWFUL sickness. Obviously I'm still pregnant, it just seems to come and go.
Ha! See, that makes me feel so much better. I love reading that other mamas have similar inconsistencies in their symptoms.

First trimester is streeeessssssss-ful.
#15 of 19 Old 09-26-2007, 09:42 PM

Sooo glad to see this thread.

I bought some chewy ginger candy online that I've been making into tea. It's helped my m/s considerably-so considerably that I really haven't been all that sick the past couple of days.

Of course, this morning I was praying that I would start feeling sick again. I needed some reassurance No ginger tea, and by 4 pm the sickies were back in full force.

I was reading in my journal from ds, and I started noting that my m/s started to go away around the 9th week. Mine started a lot earlier this pregancy too (end of 4th, beg. of 5th week) so maybe it's time for it to start to taper off.

The theory I tend to believe about m/s is that it starts to taper off when the placenta starts to pick up a lot of the legwork in sustaining the pregnancy. I don't know, it just makes me feel better that the placenta is helping me I also can see the food adversion theory, too, although I CRAVED eggs and milk with ds, and he's severely allergic to those foods I'm craving peanut butter this pregancy, but Tom's ped. advised I abstain to hopefully prevent a peanut allergy in the new baby. Ok, I've written a novel. I'm off to take a bath!

Sarah-Mommy to T (5), C (2) and baking a baby girl due in early July
#16 of 19 Old 09-26-2007, 09:46 PM

okay, I feel a bit better now. I wish I had a little crystal ball where I could look in on the baby for reassurance whenever I wanted! I keep reminding myself that at the end of the day, all my worrying will do nothing to change the outcome if it's just not meant to be. So I might as well assume all is well because really, everything points to that being the case!
#17 of 19 Old 09-26-2007, 10:13 PM - Thread Starter

That's a really good way to look at it! I'm gonna try that myself.
#18 of 19 Old 09-29-2007, 12:40 AM - Thread Starter

bluepetals, how are you doing? Mine has been getting progressively better. I still have sicky periods but fewer and they are less intense.
#19 of 19 Old 09-29-2007, 01:20 AM

First two pregnancies my m/s was 8wks - 12 wks... this one started right at 3 weeks!! I got some chewy crystallized ginger at Wild Oats today and it has not started helping yet. It pretty much comes and goes all day long. It's never been this bad before. In a sense I am thankful because it's a nice reminder that I am still pregnant. I have not puked yet, I gag a lot, and wish I could, but nothing comes up.

Heather: Mama to my amazing boys A-14.5, C-13, & M-5.5, and my sweet girl S-2.5 and introducing our little surprise Liam Michael, born 12/28!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page