First Ultrasound? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-30-2007, 10:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I had an ultrasound last week at 5weeks 1 day. I'm not sure why they encouraged me to have one so early, thought they usually waited a few more weeks. Anyway, the technician saw almost nothing and told me I must have ovulated late and I only appeared to be 4 weeks along. I don't think this is right, and now I'm wondering if I'm destined for a miscarriage. I've had almost no pregnancy symptoms and I just feel a little "off" can't explain. We're leaving for a 2-week trip abroad next week, and I'm wondering if I should push my ob for another ultrasound, more info, etc. etc. What were your experiences with the first ultrasound? Is is reliable?

lady.gif mama to H. 4/05 and A. 9/08 and baby C. 10/11

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-30-2007, 10:48 PM

Was it a vaginal or abdominal ultrasound? That would make a difference right off the bat.

Anne, Mama to Conner 2/27/04 blahblah.gif  Gabrielle 2/6/06 W/LMC-TCS, Neurogenic Bladder, AFO & KAFO wearer, Neurogenic Bowel energy.gif & Delaney 5/12/08 mischievous.gif &  Beethoven cat.gif& Gizmo cat.gif

Old 09-30-2007, 10:57 PM

with DD, i had a U/S at 5 weeks (OB was really just checking to make sure it wasn't ectopic). all we saw was an empty sac, but OB said that she didn't expect to see anything more so early. i remember she did say that sometimes you can see a fetal pole so early, sometimes you can't, and she didn't see one but wasn't at all concerned.
what would they be expecting to see at 5 weeks anyway?

i also still feel very normal, by the way.

and, is there any chance you are wrong on your dates and are not so far along?
Old 09-30-2007, 11:05 PM

I'm actually in a very similar situation. Due to previous miscarriage they wanted me to come in for an ultrasound at about 6 weeks, it ended up at 5 weeks 6 days. Ultrasound at that point showed an empty sac measuring 4 weeks 5 days.

This Friday, 8 days later, my OB did another ultrasound which showed the sac, fetal pole, and little beginning of the yolk which measured 5 weeks 6 days, exactly 8 days of growth.

She said she's not sure how, but it seems everything is growing right on track but I'm somehow 5-6 days behind where my charting says I should be. She said her only guess is I ovulated a day or two later than Fertility Friend puts me at, then it took the entire 48 hour window to get fertilized.

I have another ultrasound this Friday where we will hopefully see the heartbeat.

These last days have been scary for me. I hope our weird situations turn out positive.

Mama to a 5.5 yr old boy and a 2.5 yr old girl.  Expecting baby 3 (another girl!) late June
***4***8***12***16***20***24***28***32***36***stillheart.gif

Old 10-01-2007, 03:17 AM

My friend went through this too. She was told that ultrasounds prior to 8 weeks (I think that's the # they gave her) are NOT reliable for dating a pregnancy. She went from 100% sure she was going to lose the pregnancy (due to the mismatch in dates) to now being a completely healthy 17 weeks pregnant.
Old 10-01-2007, 06:10 AM

Even with a transvag u/s, you see very very little at such an early stage. Unless you're experiencing severe cramping or terrible bleeding, most dr's won't order a u/s until 6+ weeks along.

Also, even though early u/s are best at dating pg's (done between 6-10 weeks or so). They can still be off by a few days, some say even up to weeks. It depends on the machine and the tech doing the measurements as well. I had a u/s at almost 7 weeks and the tech tried to say my due date was different based on her measurements vs. the date I had. But based on the EDD she was giving me, I'd have gotten my + HPT at 4 DPO. Which is just impossible.
Old 10-01-2007, 09:19 AM

NicaG, you can most definitely call the OB and at least ask if they can see you around 6 weeks. From what I understand, the 6-week point is where vaginal u/s starts to be of some use. I actually had some bleeding 9 days ago (at 5 weeks) and the dr. said it was pointless to come in until I was 6 weeks. I'm going in on Tuesday so hopefully there will be a heartbeat.
Old 10-01-2007, 02:20 PM

I too have heard that the vaginal u/s is not reliable before 6 weeks and even then you sometimes get inconclusive news. Good luck! I have been on both sides of the news so i know how nerve wracking it can all be!

User Tag List