Flu Shot???? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 10-01-2007, 03:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Is it safe to get the flu shot when you are pregnant?

Chelsey Married to my Wonderful Husband Devin: Mama to James 9.7.08wild.gif , Joy 5.19.10 energy.gifTitus 3.37.12 biggrinbounce.gif10/07angel.gif  Macy dog2.gif : Expecting #4 belly.gif in August
#2 of 17 Old 10-01-2007, 03:11 PM

IMO? Heck no. But I would never get one anyway.

And I don't vaccinate my children either.

Come over to the vaccination forum

-Angela
#3 of 17 Old 10-01-2007, 03:35 PM

i also would say no, but i don't believe in them as being any good for people.
#4 of 17 Old 10-01-2007, 03:40 PM

I think most doctors would answer your question with a yes. But personally I've never gotten a flu shot, neither has my dh or dd. I would never get it as I think the risks of this vaccine simply do not give enough benefit.

If you're thinking of getting it, then make sure it is thermasol free.
#5 of 17 Old 10-01-2007, 04:06 PM

I did when I was pregnant with my son because I had customers/clients/visitors coming in and out. I was also handling money/checks (germie) There were wayyyyyyy too many germs/bugs to worry about.

I did not with my daughter because I became a SAHM. However, my son just started preschool and I might change my mind. So I don't know yet. I am about 90% sure I won't get one.

Anne, Mama to Conner 2/27/04 blahblah.gif  Gabrielle 2/6/06 W/LMC-TCS, Neurogenic Bladder, AFO & KAFO wearer, Neurogenic Bowel energy.gif & Delaney 5/12/08 mischievous.gif &  Beethoven cat.gif& Gizmo cat.gif

#6 of 17 Old 10-01-2007, 05:30 PM

What do you consider safe?

I have never and will never have a flu shot.
#7 of 17 Old 10-01-2007, 05:37 PM

This is just my personal experience, but after having the flu when I was a junior in college, I decided I NEVER wanted to have it again. I've been getting flu shots ever since. One week of 104 temps and pneumonia afterwards was a nightmare, and one I certainly do not want to repeat while pregnant.

I understand the non-vax argument, but for my family, the flu shot is part of our fall routine.

Sarah-Mommy to T (5), C (2) and baking a baby girl due in early July
#8 of 17 Old 10-01-2007, 05:56 PM

My midwife offered it. But we won't be doing that, we don't vax either.

Christi
DS1(12), DD(7)blessed with T21, DS2(2), and DD2 - newly arrived 1/28/11
#9 of 17 Old 10-01-2007, 06:21 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
I got the flu shot every year for a while, but I had a mild reaction last time, and have learned a bit more about vaccines since too, so no more flu shots for me.
#10 of 17 Old 10-01-2007, 06:38 PM

I would not recommend the flu shot. Just remember everything that gets injected into you body gets into the babys body. With all the preservatives in flu shots and the baby in early development, it just doesn't seem like a good idea.

Side note on flu shots. They are notorious for side effects and for being effective only about 50% of the time. The way they make the flu shot is to guess which mutation the flu will take this year and make a vaccine for it. This is all done by guess work and a lot of the time the flu mutates in a different direction that the vaccine gets made. So even if you get the shot it is no guarantee that you won't get the flu.

Livin' surf.gif Laughin' lol.gif Lovin' joy.gif - Just Me and Sammers, my homebirthin' little girl. 

#11 of 17 Old 10-01-2007, 06:42 PM

If you do get a flu shot while pregnant, I thought I remembered reading you're not supposed to get them during the first trimester.

Mama to a 5.5 yr old boy and a 2.5 yr old girl.  Expecting baby 3 (another girl!) late June
***4***8***12***16***20***24***28***32***36***stillheart.gif

#12 of 17 Old 10-01-2007, 06:52 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I'm on the fence. I've never had one but last year I got the flu for the first time (that I know of) and it knocked me flat on my butt for a straight week. (Started on Christmas Eve...boo!!) I don't ever want to go through that again... Yuckity yuck yuck.

Mommy to THREE sweet boys & ONE sweet girl + a newb due in February!  I need a nap. 
#13 of 17 Old 10-01-2007, 06:53 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rach03 View Post
If you do get a flu shot while pregnant, I thought I remembered reading you're not supposed to get them during the first trimester.

Yeah, I think they only recommend it for the second & third trimesters.

Mommy to THREE sweet boys & ONE sweet girl + a newb due in February!  I need a nap. 
#14 of 17 Old 10-01-2007, 07:17 PM

i didn't last pregnancy and won't this time either (while we do selectively vax this is one that we definitely don't get for dd). there is still mercury in the majority of the flu vaxes and they don't protect from all strains of the flu.

when i asked my midwife's opinion last pregnancy she quoted me the lovely CDC line "pregnant women are considered 'high risk' and should therefore have a flu shot" and then smiled and said "now that that's over with here's the real answer: you're young, you're healthy, getting the flu would be crappy, but you'd be fine." gotcha..no shot needed!
#15 of 17 Old 10-01-2007, 08:01 PM

Yes you do need to wait until 2nd trimester. I have always gotten one, but i have to see how flu season is when i enter my second trimester. I got one with my son in the second. My DP just got one and i am going to have my kids get one to. They get them every year and we are rarely sick in this house and if so not more for a day or two (knock on wood.).
#16 of 17 Old 10-01-2007, 08:01 PM

Yes you do need to wait until 2nd trimester. I have always gotten one, but i have to see how flu season is when i enter my second trimester. I got one with my son in the second. My DP just got one and i am going to have my kids get one to. They get them every year and we are rarely sick in this house and if so not more for a day or two (knock on wood.). I would suggest getting mercury free shots (don't know if flumist is okay for preg women)
#17 of 17 Old 10-01-2007, 09:46 PM

Like anything in this regard, talk to your doctor, do your own research and decide what makes you the most comfortable.

Given my son's enrollment in daycare and my profession, I will be getting the flu shot.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page