1st OB appointment - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 18 Old 10-02-2007, 12:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have my first OB appointment on the 12th and I can't wait to see a doctor and get some reassurance (hopefully) that all is well. I am thinking that it would be good for DH to come with me so that he can be reassured and feel like this is really real, but I'm not sure what the norm is for that. Do the rest of you take your partner (if you have one) with you to your appointments?
#2 of 18 Old 10-02-2007, 12:12 PM

With my first pregnancy, DH came with me to almost all my appointments. He is a student and my prenatal appointments were at the university hospital, so he just walked over and joined me for the appointments. I would say that this was abnormal though. For this pregnancy, DH will come to my 20-week ultrasound because his schedule and location have changed. Most people I know have their husbands go to all the ultrasounds and maybe the 1st appt as well. It's completely up to you guys. I don't think the Dr. will care either way.
#3 of 18 Old 10-02-2007, 12:15 PM

DH came to a lot of my first appointments with my first pregnancy and of course all the ultrasounds. I definitely wanted him there for the first one. After he got to hear the heartbeat on doppler once I told him he could stop coming if he wanted. Sometimes after that he came, but a lot of times he didn't. It wasn't worth it most of the time when the appointment was pee in a cup, listen to heartbeat, 5 minutes and you're out the door.

I always see a lot of husbands in my OB's waiting room.

Mama to a 5.5 yr old boy and a 2.5 yr old girl.  Expecting baby 3 (another girl!) late June
***4***8***12***16***20***24***28***32***36***stillheart.gif

#4 of 18 Old 10-02-2007, 12:19 PM

With our first baby, yes, DH came to every single appointment I had (except the one where the one doctor gave me a hard time about the weight I'd gained ... but that is another story).

This time around, he'll come to those that he can as well as the ultrasound(s) but it will be more difficult for him, as our schedules are much different than they were 2 years ago.

Definitely bring your DH to as many appts as possible! He can ask his questions and get to know your OB/OBs. It's important for him to feel at ease with your doctors, as he'll be working with them when you deliver.
#5 of 18 Old 10-02-2007, 12:21 PM

My first appt is on Friday, and I know I'm going to have a pap smear and a big blood draw. I don't think there's much I will really find out at this one... it's too early to expect to hear the heartbeat. DH can come next time.

Dawn - Mom to : Jack 11/04 and David 5/08
#6 of 18 Old 10-02-2007, 01:21 PM

Dh came for the ultrasounds, but not to any of the appointments until the end when I couldn't take myself. It was very difficult for him to get the time off work.
#7 of 18 Old 10-02-2007, 01:48 PM

I have my first appt on Friday, but my DH has to work. He didn't go to any of the ones last time. He might go to one this time though. I'll have to wait and see what happens. I'd like him to come but he dislikes doctors so much that he hates going to any dr. office.

Mama to Aeden, : my little NICU grad and Conner and Liam () my precious twins. is due mid April!
#8 of 18 Old 10-02-2007, 06:46 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the input. I think I will definitely bring DH with me to the appointment (assuming he wants to come). He is in a state of not believing that we're really having a baby; it's easier for me to believe because I can feel all the symptoms, but I think he needs to hear the heartbeat in order to really feel it's real. An ultrasound would be great too...but I'm not sure if they'll send me for an early one. I'm almost 8 weeks, but my belly has popped so much I am wondering if it is twins! I would love to see the ultrasound and know for sure.
#9 of 18 Old 10-02-2007, 06:52 PM

1st child hubby came to all the appointments except 1.

2nd child only the major event appointments. Also, hubby worked quite a distance from the OB's office.

3rd child probably same as 2nd child, but he will be closer to the OB's office this time, so maybe he can come to more of them.

Anne, Mama to Conner 2/27/04 blahblah.gif  Gabrielle 2/6/06 W/LMC-TCS, Neurogenic Bladder, AFO & KAFO wearer, Neurogenic Bowel energy.gif & Delaney 5/12/08 mischievous.gif &  Beethoven cat.gif& Gizmo cat.gif

#10 of 18 Old 10-02-2007, 07:16 PM

I have told my DH that he has to come to at least two. Mostly cause I want him to have the chance to meet the midwife before the delivery and so he has a chance to ask all the questions he wants. I am comfortable with the whole home birth and birthing process because I have read way tooooo many books but he is on unfimilar ground and I want him to be as comfortable as he can be. He is comming to the next appointment with me (his first) and he will need to have some blood drawn to see what his blood type is as I am A- and this may determine if I get the Rhogam shot or not. Well see how he handles it, he is not all that comfortable with discussing all the innards.

Livin' surf.gif Laughin' lol.gif Lovin' joy.gif - Just Me and Sammers, my homebirthin' little girl. 

#11 of 18 Old 10-02-2007, 07:54 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
DH likes to come to all of my appts. It's hard to arrange with two other kids but we'll deal!

Mommy to THREE sweet boys & ONE sweet girl + a newb due in February!  I need a nap. 
#12 of 18 Old 10-03-2007, 02:26 AM

My husband came to all of my appts with my first, and has been to my first appt with this pregnancy - he really likes feeling like he's "a part of things".
#13 of 18 Old 10-03-2007, 06:19 PM

my midwives "required" that your support person (who was my dh) come to at least 2 appointments (not including ultrasounds if you have them b/c they were at the hospital). i think he came to about 5or 6 as he could make it, especially at the end then b/c dd was about 11 days "late" and he was starting to get worried. of course my midwives would be fine with you bringing a whole parade of people through if you wanted to i did take my mom at one point b/c she was so worried about an out of hospital birth.

i think it always helps those who are intricately involved in your life to be a part of these appointments. i'll be taking dd along later once i get a little bigger and we can tell her and have it be somewhat real to her.
#14 of 18 Old 10-03-2007, 06:50 PM

DH will be coming to all of my MW appointments, at least that's the plan. We'll probably decline lots of tests, so this way, we'll be together to make the decisions.
#15 of 18 Old 10-03-2007, 07:26 PM

I went to all of my wife's appointments with #1.I went alone to my first appointment, and my wife is going to come for the first ultrasound. Our daughter was laying on top of me when I got pregnant (a memory I will always cherish ) but it's easier for my wife to stay home with her than for all three of us to go to the appointments!

Used to be stay at home parent to our two lovely girls, survived nursing school with family intact, about to graduate and looking for a job! I low-supply nursed my bio daughter for 3 years. 

#16 of 18 Old 10-03-2007, 07:33 PM

Dh comes to all my midwife appointments. But we don't do u/s or doppler and with dd I think he only heard her on fetoscope a couple of times.

-Angela
#17 of 18 Old 10-03-2007, 10:23 PM

My partner would have come to my first apt if she could have, but was out of town at work. She came to my second and was VERY excited to see the little kicking, arm waving, heart beating embryo. More excited than I was. The OB's office seems to think she should be there, they asked where she was the first time.

ribbonrainbow.gif: mamas to one DD (5/08) and two DS's (11/9/10 @ 35wks)
blogging.jpgnocirc.gifdelayedvax.gifgd.gif1pump.giftoddler.giffamilybed2.gifcd.gif
#18 of 18 Old 10-04-2007, 01:12 PM

My partner has been at every one of our appointments, from fertility treatments to preggo... except for one time when there was an emergency. I always tell her I can go alone if she can't get out of work or whatever, but it seems important to her to be there. (and me, too!!) Not sure if that'll change once we get into the routine midwife appt's, and there's not so much fun stuff to see each time.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page