X-posting this again....question about milk supply @ 8/9 weeks - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 10-17-2007, 04:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(I've posted this in both pregnancy and BF'ing and have only had a couple replies in BF'ing, so thought I'd just ask here where others are at the same stage)

I'm a little over 8.5 weeks along (could be about 9). Anyway, DD is still nursing around the clock (19.5 months) and hasn't shown any sign (nor have I noticed any) regarding any changes in my milk (yet). I still seem to have the same supply. However, lately I seem to have an INCREASED supply. I'm not doing anything different (I eat oatmeal fro breakfast occasionally, which usually ups my supply, but it's always just been for that one day). But I seem to get almost enorged at times, which hasn't happened for the longest time, and it get's slightly painful. Since I found out I was pg. the only consistent change I've noticed is nipple pain for the first few seconds when DD latches on (yet even that comes and goes), and then within the past week or two I've noticed my bb's getting slightly tender at times. So I can't tell if this "engorgement" feeling is related to them just being tender and then that being amplified when they're full, or if it's actually an increase in milk. Also, I wondered if anyone else who experienced this found it to be a precurser to anything...if it happened right before they lost their supply or had a drastic decrease or anything.

TIA for any insight!

Me (27) DH (30)...9 Years

DD (7) ~ DD (4) ~ DS (3)

Praying our April 2013 baby sticks!! joy.gif

Babies in Heaven...angel.gif 9/04 angel.gif 2/05 angel.gif 3/11 angel.gif 4/11 angel.gif 6/11 angel.gif 11/11 angel.gif 2/12 (along with my tube greensad.gif )

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 10-17-2007, 10:20 PM

It's funny you posted this today because this kinda happened to me this evening. I have definitely noticed a drop in supply already, but I still could get big drops when hand expressing. Ds hasn't complained (but he is almost 26 months so he had already cut back on his nursing quite a bit before my supply started to go down). Tonight, DS hadn't nursed since this morning and I was feeling that heavy feeling like "please nurse to make Mummy more comfortable". But when I nursed, he wasn't getting that much. And afterward, I could barely get even a drop out of my more productive side.

Anyway, not the exact same situation but it kind of threw me for a loop as I was sure I had quite a little buildup of milk in there! It might be completely different for you...
#3 of 3 Old 10-17-2007, 10:25 PM

I notice that my breasts are definitely swollen, and I have nipple pain similar to what you describe. However, I know that my supply is declining, because ds tells me so. (He's almost 3).

You question prompted me to check my copy of Adventures in Tandem Nursing, and she does mention that some women have an increase in milk supply during pregnancy. She doesn't offer an explanation; she just says that women's bodies have a wide range of reactions, all of which are normal. So I guess it's just one of those things.

HTH!

Dawn - Mom to : Jack 11/04 and David 5/08

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page