a vaginal birth of a footling breech?! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 10-24-2007, 12:54 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
a bit off topic...

My Mom died when I was 20- 10 years ago. I am sure we talked about pregnancy and birh, but I don't specifically recall those conversations. My Dad, bless his heart, tries to remember specifics about my mom's pregnancies with us (three kids,) but his perspective was a little different Anyhow- an aunt of mine recently told me that I was in luck because my mom had 5-6 hour labors with "all of us." I called my Dad and younger sister to verfiy (she has an elephant's memory!) and sure enough, the first two were short labors- 5 or 6 hours. However, my brother was breech, and my Dad is pretty sure he was a footling. Anyhow- my mom ended up giving birth to him vaginally, which is astounding to think about knowing the little I do about footling delivery. I pray that I won't have a breech delivery, but it's inspiring to know that my mom did it!

Used to be stay at home parent to our two lovely girls, survived nursing school with family intact, about to graduate and looking for a job! I low-supply nursed my bio daughter for 3 years. 

#2 of 15 Old 10-24-2007, 01:03 AM

I love hearing stories like that . I'm sorry your mom isn't here for you to talk to, though .

Mama to M (7/05) and S (5/08) my surprise !!!
#3 of 15 Old 10-24-2007, 01:06 AM

My grandfather was originally a single footling breech. Story goes that dr. came, went in to see the mom, came back out and told the dad it would be awhile longer, a foot was coming out so he shoved it back in. Baby was later delivered frank breech.

-Angela
#4 of 15 Old 10-24-2007, 01:10 AM

Sorry that your mom isn't here for you to talk to, but that is a very cool story to hear even second hand. My grandmother had a footling breech surprise twin - my mom - born vaginally at home (with a midwife & then a back up dr in attendance, and they gave her twilight sleep. eek). It was such a cool story to hear. I have friends who have given birth to breech (though, not footlings) babies at home. Who says csec is necessary ?!
#5 of 15 Old 10-24-2007, 01:26 AM

I was born a double-footing breech 39 years ago. And I was my mom's first baby, too. Yes, it was vaginal, but pretty much a horror anyway - my mom got a spinal for delivery (despite Lamaze up until then) and a right angled and left angled mediolateral episiotomy and then Piper forceps for me. I think that's about as close to a vaginal c/sec as you can come. Seeing as I was her first, they did classicals and VBAC's wouldn't come around for another 20 years or so, she was grateful (she had 5 more deliveries after me).
#6 of 15 Old 10-24-2007, 10:09 AM

Wow! That's amazing. I am sorry you lost your mom.

I've read that we labor more like our sisters than our mothers/grandmothers.
#7 of 15 Old 10-24-2007, 11:24 AM

I find stories like that inspiring too

My aunt had her 2nd child vaginally and he was a frank breech. She said the Dr. was young and initially thought her son had a deformity on his head lol!

DH and I - totally winging life with our four children, DS1 (6.5yrs), DS2 (5yrs), DD (3yrs) and DS3 (1)!

#8 of 15 Old 10-24-2007, 12:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by merry-mary View Post
Well then my sister is in luck- she'll have a preview. I get to go boldly where no sister has gone before

Used to be stay at home parent to our two lovely girls, survived nursing school with family intact, about to graduate and looking for a job! I low-supply nursed my bio daughter for 3 years. 

#9 of 15 Old 10-24-2007, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxmomazon View Post
Well then my sister is in luck- she'll have a preview. I get to go boldly where no sister has gone before
Are you having your sister at the birth?
#10 of 15 Old 10-24-2007, 02:39 PM

I am so sorry you don't have your mom with you in body any longer. That's got to be hard when you are expecting your first child. I missed my grandmother so much at the births of all of my children.

I would not transport for a c-section for a footling breech unless there was cord prolapse (obviously!) Then again, I have the sure knowledge that my pelvis is of the proportion of an ape and I highly distrust c-sections as being 'safer'.
#11 of 15 Old 10-24-2007, 05:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Are you having your sister at the birth?
She was at our first daughter's birth- quite by accident. Our daughter was a week early and my sister had come for Christmas. I don't plan on having her at my birth, though. We're not telling anyone in my family we're planning a HB. She might be ok with it, but I think I just want me my wife, and my midwife

#12 of 15 Old 10-24-2007, 05:20 PM

i was a vaginal footling breech. my mom's first kid. also i was almost 4 WEEKS overdue! I was 'supposed' to be born in early September. Arrived mid october. . . .

my mom died 4 years ago today - i was pg with my first living son then so i couldn't ask her for more info. wish i could, though. ((hugs)) to the op. i know how it sucks not to have a mommy now. no matter how old we are, we want our mommy's. The good stuff, the hard stuff, the questioning stuff, it's all nice to share with our mom's and to get those insights. esp after one has kids.

bettyann
#13 of 15 Old 10-24-2007, 05:56 PM

Quote:
I've never heard that, but if it's true my sisters are in luck. I have easy labors, other than the prodromonal labor (several weeks with my daughter, a week or so with my 3rd son, a couple days with #2). Pushing sucks for me but thats probably different for everyone too. I DID however, throw up in transition with my first two, just like my mom (she threw up in transistion with ALL of us). But, I eat while in labor, so there ya go ; )

Aisling
#14 of 15 Old 10-24-2007, 06:20 PM

My sisters and I seem to labor similarly. Very fast.
#15 of 15 Old 10-24-2007, 07:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyfrog View Post
i was a vaginal footling breech. my mom's first kid. also i was almost 4 WEEKS overdue! I was 'supposed' to be born in early September. Arrived mid october. . . .

my mom died 4 years ago today - i was pg with my first living son then so i couldn't ask her for more info. wish i could, though. ((hugs)) to the op. i know how it sucks not to have a mommy now. no matter how old we are, we want our mommy's. The good stuff, the hard stuff, the questioning stuff, it's all nice to share with our mom's and to get those insights. esp after one has kids.

bettyann
What a first birth experience for your mom!

I'm sorry you've lost your mom. It's so true that (especially) with every major life milestone I experience the loss in a new way. She lost her mom while she was sick with cancer and told me once that she wished she had a phone line to heaven so she could talk to her.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page