Mothering Forum banner

I can't take it anymore! I want to feel better!

403 views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  lylas 
#1 ·
I'm on two medications...a total of 16 pills a day to get my nausea and vomiting in check. All that is making it just bearable enough to get some foods down and keep them down. I have moments of feeling fabulous in between the bunches of time bent over a sink, a garbage can or the toilet. Please remind me that it IS all worth this! And that it WILL end eventually. I've never had such bad N&V in pregnancy before and can now relate to those of you who've suffered through more than one pregnancy in this state. I thought I was sick with my boys but...geez...this little one is showing me who's the boss!

#7 ·
I am sorry you are so sick. If it makes you feel any better I am in pure misery myself. This is my third pregnancy and just like the others I am very sick. I just got started on Zofran it is an antinausea medicine. they give to chemotheraphy patients before treatment and surgery patients. I was given this with my first pregnancy at 16weeks after throwing up nonstop for over 8 weeks and losing over 20 pounds. I thought I would die. They had given me phenergan supp. but that just made things worse. I used through my whole pregnancy because everytime I stopped I was throwing up within a few days. My body revolts in pregnancy.

So with the next pregnancy and this one by 12 weeks of trying everything from homeopathics to herbal tincutres, eating etc... I gave in and started the medicine.

I have been on it for a week now I have stop throwing up and I am gradually starting to feel better. I can at least think about food without throwing up.

Anyway, you are not alone. The first time I didn't know the next time I thought maybe it won't happen again and this time I knew what I was getting myself into but I did it anyway
:

Hang in there Mama you can do this. When I am feeling most miserable I try to think about my baby and what it is doing and how I will feel when I give birth. It doesn't make my body feel better but it helps my mind feel better.

Hattie

#8 ·
First off, from one who has been there, I totally understand what you are experiencing. I think it is often overlooked how oppressive all this sickness is and how truly depressed a woman can get from being debilitated with it.

Have you tried acupuncture? It really helped me with my last pregnancy. I didn't discover it until the 8th month when the sickness came back with a vengence but it really helped to chill things out for me. Also, the right homeopathic remedy may be helpful as well if you can find a practitioner that can help you.

Hang in there. It is worth it in the end.

I clearly remember hitting that point when I was so sick (again), heaving over the toilet that I peed my pants at the same time, throwing up blood from tearing up my esophagus so badly, not being able to eat well from all the damage to my throat....it was so bad that I just didn't care about the baby anymore. It just had to END! I was about 7.5 to 8 months when the puking came back. It's a pretty low place to be, especially when I had been thru this from week 7 to week 15 earlier in the pregnancy. I swear, if someone had offered me an elective c-section, I may have jumped at the chance. Anyone who really knows me knows how radical a thought that is for me!!!!! The acupuncture was my saving grace and my baby ended up coming 20 days early from her due date (which I was certain of since I knew the conception date) perfectly happy and healthy and I have thanked her immensely for that!

#9 ·
A question of gender. I have two girls. I was sick with both of them. First I was ill from week 7 til week 18, second I was sick from week 7 til week 15 and then again in the late 7th month.

Do you think we are sicker with girls? I have heard the theory that certain hormone levels are higher with girls and that makes us sicker.

I am not sick with this pregnancy like I was before. I've only thrown up once and had some nausea which passes fairly quickly. I am wondering if it's a boy.

#10 ·
Anecdotal I say yes.... *IF* this one is a girl, I was NEVER this sick with my other two pregnancies and they are both boys. If this is another boy, then I stick by my origional "all pregnanies are different" theory. My friend was sicker with #3, than with #1 and #2 and #3 is her first girl.

Here is some information I googled, I would take the second one with a grain of salt however.

"A study of more than one million Swedish children born between 1987 and 1995 found a male ratio of 51.4 to 48.6, Dr Johan Askling revealed in a letter to medical journal The Lancet.

But women who were admitted to hospital suffering from hyperemesis gravidarum - severe nausea - were more likely to have a baby girl. Of women admitted with the condition, the male-female ratio of their offspring was 44.3 to 55.7 - a figure experts said was "statistically significant"."

"Morning sickness also tends to occur more frequently with multiples, and surprisingly, girl babies. Studies have shown that women pregnant with girls have a 50% higher chance of having morning sickness."

#11 ·
I'm so sorry that you are going thru such misery with the m/s.....I had it pretty intense with this pregnancy too, but I actually only got sick once. The rest of the time it was just constant all day nausea that made me actually WANT to get sick in hopes I might feel a little bit better, if only for a moment. And that all day nausea was bad enough for me for the 4-5 weeks it stayed. But getting sick all the time on top of the nausea.....
and I hope it does start to get better for you. But it definitely IS worth it all in the end.

Now, I've heard it said that m/s goes along with having a girl, but I didn't have one moment of nausea with my daughter. Yet, I had about 2 months of bad m/s with my son in the beginning. Maybe that means I'm having another boy? I must be backwards or something.....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.