Anyone EC or plan to? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 35 Old 01-13-2008, 02:49 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I tried this once with dd and caught a pee AND poop, but the first 4-5 months of her life were so hellish with the birth trauma and nursing problems, that it was just way too overwhelming. Then the digestive problems started and I was getting essentially no sleep until she was 9+ months old. Then I spent a bunch of time recovering (am still recovering!), and it just seemed like I never reached a point where I had enough energy to make the effort. I also always felt like stripping off all the clothes and diaper was such an impediment.

That said, I would dearly love to try it with this babe. DD is almost 30 months and is showing absolutely NO interest in the potty (granted we have been very hands off). Not that I'm too concerned about it, but I sometimes wonder if the hands off, let her do it when she's ready approach may not work so well for us. I think if we'd done EC, even part-time, things would be going a lot easier now.

I also like that you're maintaining your child's awareness of their body, instead of teaching them to ignore it. So I am definitely going to give it a whirl assuming everything else is going okay. I even have dreams that seeing the baby use the potty will inspire dd. One can always dream, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molck View Post
I hadn't thought about trying it just for poops. That sounds less intimidating, somehow. What kind of diapers were you using? How hard is it to get them off in time?
I think one of the dangers (and downfalls) of EC is to think you have to be PERFECT. It can get so stressful that you give up altogether. It's good to realize it does not have to be an all or nothing kind of thing. There was an interesting article in a recent BrainChild magazine about this. (Love that magazine!)

As for type of diaper, I swear I saw somewhere on the EC forum (on one of my extremely uncommon forays there) that some people used a "loincloth" type diaper that was easy to get on and off. But I might have been hallucinating .

Quote:
Originally Posted by calpurnia View Post
Why would you need MORE diapers?
Not speaking from experience, but I would guess that it's because you always want the dipe to be clean (not wet, not poopy). So if you don't catch the pee/poop, then you need to change the dipe immediately. If you're not EC'ing, it's pretty common to change a poop immediately, but most people will let the pees go for a while, especially if you're using a dipe like a Fuzzi Bunz that wicks the moisture away from the bum.

Mama to M (7/05) and S (5/08) my surprise !!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 35 Old 01-13-2008, 02:55 PM

I tried off and on halfheartedly with dd. I hope to make more of a go of it this time around.

-Angela
#33 of 35 Old 01-13-2008, 03:07 PM

I can see needing more diapers for EC, for that very reason. Sandy's diapers are good for EC because they come on and off like training pants but unsnap at the sides for missed poops.

Changing every time baby wets, even if you never catch anything is such a huge step for retaining awareness, they start to notice the trend from feeling the sensation when they "go", to getting changed, I think it must get them thinking about what's going on. If the parents zone out, so does the baby.
#34 of 35 Old 01-13-2008, 03:17 PM

Ah, thanks for the explanation of more diapers. That makes perfect sense now.

I too like the idea that it's not all or nothing, makes it seem much more like something worth trying, or having in the back of the mind at least.
#35 of 35 Old 01-13-2008, 09:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanana View Post
I think one of the dangers (and downfalls) of EC is to think you have to be PERFECT. It can get so stressful that you give up altogether. It's good to realize it does not have to be an all or nothing kind of thing.
I'm so glad I asked about EC. This is the vibe I'm getting from reading this thread, and it's making me so much more optimistic about trying it.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page