Anyone EC or plan to? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 35 Old 01-11-2008, 03:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DH really wants (me) to try this, and I plan to though I'm a little intimidated. Anyone else BTDT or in the same boat as me?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 35 Old 01-11-2008, 03:45 PM

I did some lazy EC with my son after 10 months of age. I do think it helped him train himself sooner/easier.

If I didn't have two older ones with ADHD I would absolutely do it from the start.
#3 of 35 Old 01-11-2008, 04:00 PM

Pardon my ignorance, but I don't know what EC or BTDT means?
#4 of 35 Old 01-11-2008, 04:07 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
We *sort of* ECd with DS2. When he was 5 months I got tired of cleaning poopy cloth diapers so any time we'd hear him grunt we'd put him on the toilet. He has been doing it ever since and at some point (I don't remember when) he started telling us when he had to go. He now goes every day in his bjorn potty.

I haven't tried doing this with peeing but he does wear absorbant underwear around the house.

Mommy to THREE sweet boys & ONE sweet girl + a newb due in February!  I need a nap. 
#5 of 35 Old 01-11-2008, 04:10 PM

EC= Elimination Communication (there's a subforum for it under diapering)
BTDT= Been there done that
#6 of 35 Old 01-11-2008, 04:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingmommyhood View Post
We *sort of* ECd with DS2. When he was 5 months I got tired of cleaning poopy cloth diapers so any time we'd hear him grunt we'd put him on the toilet. He has been doing it ever since and at some point (I don't remember when) he started telling us when he had to go. He now goes every day in his bjorn potty.

I haven't tried doing this with peeing but he does wear absorbant underwear around the house.
I hadn't thought about trying it just for poops. That sounds less intimidating, somehow. What kind of diapers were you using? How hard is it to get them off in time?
#7 of 35 Old 01-11-2008, 04:18 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Molck View Post
I hadn't thought about trying it just for poops. That sounds less intimidating, somehow. What kind of diapers were you using? How hard is it to get them off in time?
We used fuzzibunz and bumgenius pocket diapers. We never had trouble getting them off in time but that may just be because DS has very obvious cues. Grunting, red face. He was completely breastfed so the poops were very soft but it took him a few seconds at least to work it up.

I have been very pleased with the way it's worked out. DS2 is finally (haha) pooping on the toilet now so I haven't changed a poopy diaper in months!

OH ETA: DS also got used to pooping twice a day at first, once in the morning & once at night. Now he just goes in the morning. That way it wasn't a worry when we were out in public.

This is the potty we have, but in red.

Mommy to THREE sweet boys & ONE sweet girl + a newb due in February!  I need a nap. 
#8 of 35 Old 01-11-2008, 04:31 PM

we did this wiith dd after she was 12months old... so it doesn't really count i guess i bet it would be difficult at first with a newborn!

have you seen the dvd "birth as we know it"

in the extras there is a interview with a mo specifically about EC. you should get a copy of the dvd and check it out....
#9 of 35 Old 01-11-2008, 05:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierralily View Post
we did this wiith dd after she was 12months old... so it doesn't really count i guess i bet it would be difficult at first with a newborn!

have you seen the dvd "birth as we know it"

in the extras there is a interview with a mo specifically about EC. you should get a copy of the dvd and check it out....
I haven't seen it, but I'll try to find a copy. Thanks!
#10 of 35 Old 01-11-2008, 06:09 PM

I'm seriously considering it this time around. I've always cloth diapered (I still remember how excited I was the day that my shipment of prefolds and wraps arrived in the mail when I was preggo w/ds#1 -- ), but I'm interested in doing a combination of EC and CD this time around. I'm a little hesitant to go all out with it, even though once my kiddos hit 2 yrs, they tend to not wear diapers at home except at night. Ds#1 was using the toilet consistently by 2.5, ds#2 by his 2nd birthday, and ds#3 is nearly there at 2yrs 3months. I understand that EC'd babes, on average, are consistent earlier than that.

I know that I just need to read more about it, like I did with CD years ago.

Amanda and Dh, ds 09/00, ds 08/03, ds 10/05, and ds 05/08, and 3 :
#11 of 35 Old 01-11-2008, 06:22 PM

I did just poops for Noah and Izzy (and started with Hannah after 12 months) and it was hit or miss with so many little ones. It's one of the crunchy things I have to let go and not allow myself to feel guilty about, even though I think it's "best". Sort of how I think raising my own animals and growing my own veggies is best...it's just not practical for me at this point.

I might try again with the new babe. I haven't decided!
#12 of 35 Old 01-11-2008, 06:22 PM

Here's a great book on it (I'd give it to you but it's already been given):

Diaper Free: The Gentle Wisdom of Natural Infant Hygiene
#13 of 35 Old 01-11-2008, 06:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatureMama3 View Post
Here's a great book on it (I'd give it to you but it's already been given):

Diaper Free: The Gentle Wisdom of Natural Infant Hygiene
And my Amazon list grows... I do plan to get at least one EC book before this babe comes, though. I'll look into this one. Thanks!
#14 of 35 Old 01-11-2008, 06:33 PM

We did part time EC with Riley from about 3 months on. Our whole downstairs living area (except the kitchen) is carpeted, so I really couldn't go full-out and do much naked-butt time or anything like that... but even so, we just put him on the potty at every diaper change and within a few days he was peeing on cue. About a week after that he was pooping on it too. There was this great period of time where I didn't have to change a poopy diaper for a week at a time, it was awesome! He didn't show any signs when he needed to go though, no obvious grunting or anything...

Unfortunately, he was VERY mobile very early and as soon as he could stand unassisted (5 months holding on to chairs) he started refusing to sit on the potty. He walked at 7.5 months and we had absolutely NO luck with EC from then until he was about 15 months old and the novelty of mobility had worn off (some ). At this point I don't know that it's really EC anymore, but he's starting to tell us when he needs to go or when he's just gone. But that could just be the reese's pieces he's been getting when he does it... : Yeah um, obviously I'm not the EC poster child, but hey, we tried!
#15 of 35 Old 01-11-2008, 07:48 PM

I thought about trying it with DS but never did...the pee thing seemed so challenging, I had no idea how to figure out when he was going to pee! But doing it for poops appeals to me...I have tried that with DS now and all it's done is make him leery of the potty (hmm, like you might be when mommy interrupts your poop to scoop you up, whisk you to the bathroom, strip you down and sit you on a potty to finish, LOL!). But I think if we started really early they would just accept it as the norm and go with it.
#16 of 35 Old 01-11-2008, 09:41 PM

We did VERY part-time inconsistent EC'ing with DD starting around 8 months (the first time she pooped in the potty was 3 months, but that was just by chance). We only did it on some days, where I just let her run around naked or diaperless, and sometimes we'd go a couple weeks in between days. I'd always hold her over the potty...we didn't have a little one, but even when we got one she wanted the big potty so I finally just got one of those potty seats. We'd sign "potty" (just used the sign for toilet) whenever she sat on the potty and then started REALLY signing whenever she'd actually go. Anyway, she's been "poopy" potty learned since 10 months old (tells us when she needs to). She has only pooped in a diaper twice since then (around 12 months) and it was only because we were out and I was too nervous to take the tiny little kiddo into a public restroom. She's almost 23 months now and has been able to go diaperless all day (telling me when she has to poop or pee) since about 16 months at the latest. So it's been nice, as far as cloth diapers go! LOL

We'll probably do it just as casually with the next one.

ETA- DD was one of those babies who NEVER cued when she was going to pee. NEVER.

Me (27) DH (30)...9 Years

DD (7) ~ DD (4) ~ DS (3)

Praying our April 2013 baby sticks!! joy.gif

Babies in Heaven...angel.gif 9/04 angel.gif 2/05 angel.gif 3/11 angel.gif 4/11 angel.gif 6/11 angel.gif 11/11 angel.gif 2/12 (along with my tube greensad.gif )

#17 of 35 Old 01-11-2008, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluepetals View Post
.I have tried that with DS now and all it's done is make him leery of the potty (hmm, like you might be when mommy interrupts your poop to scoop you up, whisk you to the bathroom, strip you down and sit you on a potty to finish, LOL!). But I think if we started really early they would just accept it as the norm and go with it.
This is why EC is important to me and the reason why we'll do it again, even if it's still only half-way and not 100% successful... Of course it would be lovely to have a child out of diapers at 12 or 15 months but even when that's not a reality I still think it's a really healthy thing to try and help a kid stay in tune with their bodily functions. Instead of teaching them, essentially, to ignore all the sensations until they're 2 or 3 years old.
#18 of 35 Old 01-12-2008, 11:12 AM

I'd love to try, and I'm going to try if having baby #1 doesn't make me totally insane. We're doing a cloth diaper service, so if we can EC, life would be sooooo much easier and cheaper!

Sara caffix.gif, Keith 2whistle.gif, Toby 6/08superhero.gif, Nomi 4/10blahblah.gif, Mona 1/12 hammer.gif

Mama of three, lover, student rabbi, spoonie, friend, musician, narcoleptic, space muffin, pretty much a dragon. Crunchy like matzoh.

#19 of 35 Old 01-12-2008, 11:56 AM

we (did i just type we? i mean *I*) did a version of EC with DD starting at 12 months. totally laid back, just putting her on the potty when she woke up dry or had been dry for a few hours. then we totally stopped over thanksgiving-new years because we were traveling so much, DD got really sick (bronchitis AND an ear infection!). we started again in Jan and she was totally out of diapers within a week. she really took to the potty of her own initiative when i gave her cookies for going.

so, i plan to start the same thing with this one, only maybe even earlier. i must say, it was nice to have a potty trained 17 month old. we saved a fortune on diapers! (we used sposies and will with this one.)
#20 of 35 Old 01-12-2008, 01:55 PM

We started EC'ing with DS when he was 4 months old I think it was. Things were going GREAT! We didn't change a poopy diaper for almost 2 months straight and caught 80% of the wet ones too!
Then he got Roseola, started crawling and cut 8 teeth in 2 months and he's now on a potty strike. I'm really kind of disappointed, but we keep giving him the opportunity and sometimes he does go, sometimes he doesn't.

I'm thinking we may start back with catching pee's after naps and go from there.
It would be nice to have him at least halfway again by the time the new baby comes we'll see!

I do plan to start the new baby right away and be more consistent. I'm afraid breaking in our friends and family was more stressful than anything. They made a HUGE deal out of it.

DH and I - totally winging life with our four children, DS1 (6.5yrs), DS2 (5yrs), DD (3yrs) and DS3 (1)!

#21 of 35 Old 01-12-2008, 02:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by smeisnotapirate View Post
I'd love to try, and I'm going to try if having baby #1 doesn't make me totally insane. We're doing a cloth diaper service, so if we can EC, life would be sooooo much easier and cheaper!
This is our plan, too. How many diapers are you starting out with? I was reading a thread on the EC board and people were recommending EC families start with MORE diapers (rec's up to 120 a week) at first! Presumably this number will go way down and the baby and I learn each other's cues.
#22 of 35 Old 01-12-2008, 02:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little grey mare View Post
We started EC'ing with DS when he was 4 months old I think it was. Things were going GREAT! We didn't change a poopy diaper for almost 2 months straight and caught 80% of the wet ones too!
Wow! That sounds pretty awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little grey mare View Post
Then he got Roseola, started crawling and cut 8 teeth in 2 months and he's now on a potty strike. I'm really kind of disappointed, but we keep giving him the opportunity and sometimes he does go, sometimes he doesn't.
From what I've read on the EC board, this sounds normal. Any "distractions" make EC harder. Sounds frustrating to from almost no dipes to this, but I'm glad to hear you're still pro-EC. It gives me hope that I'll be able to handle it when this babe comes.
#23 of 35 Old 01-12-2008, 03:07 PM

Quote:
This is our plan, too. How many diapers are you starting out with? I was reading a thread on the EC board and people were recommending EC families start with MORE diapers (rec's up to 120 a week) at first! Presumably this number will go way down and the baby and I learn each other's cues.
I think we're starting with 80.

Sara caffix.gif, Keith 2whistle.gif, Toby 6/08superhero.gif, Nomi 4/10blahblah.gif, Mona 1/12 hammer.gif

Mama of three, lover, student rabbi, spoonie, friend, musician, narcoleptic, space muffin, pretty much a dragon. Crunchy like matzoh.

#24 of 35 Old 01-12-2008, 05:56 PM

I'd like to try EC, but probably just for the poops. I'll be WAH and I think I might drive myself crazy if I tried to catch the pee too. I really like the idea of not having to change too many poopy diapers though
#25 of 35 Old 01-12-2008, 09:44 PM

Oh but I found pees to be super easy, especially if you start with every time they wake up. just something to think about!

DH and I - totally winging life with our four children, DS1 (6.5yrs), DS2 (5yrs), DD (3yrs) and DS3 (1)!

#26 of 35 Old 01-13-2008, 01:17 AM

I did EC with my first and had great luck with it!!!

If you cloth diaper and co sleep, when that baby wakes, you'll find that you will wake automatically (which is tied to your sleep cycles being sync). Check the dipe first thing. With my dd, it was dry. I'd hold her over the potty, which I next to the bed, she'd pee, I'd diaper her back up and then nurse her to sleep. It got to be a very easy routine. As for catching daytime pees, if you wear your baby in a sling with a naked bottom and get peed on a time or two, you'll soon catch on that that little fidget actually meant "I have to pee".

I found out about EC here at MDC when dd was 3 months old. I swore I'd do it with the next one from birth but I had an October baby and she was dressed too warm to make getting the clothing and diaper off fast enough. I also think I was just a bit too busy with two of them to do it.

I wish I had done it. I now have poopy diapers with my 15 month old. I bet I hardly changed a poopy diaper with my first after she was 9 months old. We do put the baby on the potty but not as regularily as I should.

"To err is human, to forgive, canine." - Unknown
#27 of 35 Old 01-13-2008, 01:30 AM

Puppy Fluffer, that was very interesting, thanks for sharing that. Dd had alot of nighttime fussiness as a babe that I now think was related to elimination--I didn't even hear about EC until she was a few months old and regret it.

I'm also on the fence RE EC with this child. I did not EC with dd but tried to incorporate some EC techniques with her from the time she was young. We used cloth diapers. We had naked butt time pretty much every day from very young, and every time I noticed that she was going--with diapers on or without--and pointed it out. "You're making pee-pee or poop." We also used a sign for toilet to denote elimination, and she eventually began making it when she was poopy. Our friends and family thought it was a little strange, but she certainly demonstrated awareness of her bodily functions pretty early.

We started using the potty when she was around 13 mo but were very laid back about it. She only went on it when she wanted to and we never fought about it. It was going really well, catching almost all of her pees on it, until her 18mo developmental growth (and resulting behavior challenges) caught up with us and she striked off and on for the next several months. BUT by the time she was 2, she would hit it almost every time if she was naked and the potty was in the living room (where we mostly play). She was naked at home all of last summer and one day in September, when I was putting a diaper on her so we could go out, she said, "I want panties," and that was it. WAY easier than I had expected. Not that we don't have a ton of accidents, but I feel like she potty learned and I did hardly anything at all.
#28 of 35 Old 01-13-2008, 11:06 AM

I did part-time ec from about 4 mos with my first, and then started at a week with #2 (who was born in January)

There were times in the early months of dd2 where I'd have to slack off and take a break because I was getting too stressed. She was walking at 9 mos so there was a bit of a break there, but by around 15 mos she started taking herself to the potty sometimes, and not long after that she'd tell us either right before, during or right after, even if it wasn't in the potty. There were still more strikes, but I think I remember packing the diapers away at some point before or shortly after her second birthday.
She is almost three and still has accidents, but I think compared to her age group she's got really goot awareness and potty independence. She will now take herself and can do everything, from undressing, to wiping, to washing her hands. I help her wipe poops. Sometimes I don't even know she's gone until I go in and see something in the baby bjorn little potty.

I wasn't sure that I'd do it again, given that I didn't feel successful, since she was in diapers for a long time anyway, but when I hear of other kids her age who still haven't even warmed up to the potty, I will probably do it again. We never did it at nighttime, but she was still consistently night dry from about 18 mos. She happens to have a compliant, easy-to-please personality, in contrast to my older dd's obstinant, defiant nature. I'm sure her personality contributed to the success we did have.
#29 of 35 Old 01-13-2008, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuppyFluffer View Post
If you cloth diaper and co sleep, when that baby wakes, you'll find that you will wake automatically (which is tied to your sleep cycles being sync). Check the dipe first thing. With my dd, it was dry. I'd hold her over the potty, which I next to the bed, she'd pee, I'd diaper her back up and then nurse her to sleep. It got to be a very easy routine. As for catching daytime pees, if you wear your baby in a sling with a naked bottom and get peed on a time or two, you'll soon catch on that that little fidget actually meant "I have to pee".
Once mr. baby comes I'll be working out of our home, watching a 3 year old, so we probably won't actually be "home" that much. She has lessons and programs so thats why I'm considering trying EC. I'd prefer to get used to the poops. However, I didn't consider doing the night time pees. I'm sure we'll both be up anyway, so why not?! Thanks for mentioning that!!
#30 of 35 Old 01-13-2008, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Why would you need MORE diapers?

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page