Sugar cravings? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 33 Old 02-12-2008, 07:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I started getting sugar cravings a couple weeks ago, about the time the pain I was having (gone now!) stole all my sleep. I figured it was just a need for quick energy since I was so tired, and I gave in to them. But now they won't go away!

I'm getting sleep now (though still really tired), exercising, taking probiotics. I manage to keep the cravings mostly at bay with apples w/ almond butter, banana-heavy smoothies, etc. but it's really annoying, and I end up eating some sugary junk thing pretty much every day. It's frustrating; my eating was so healthy before this hit.

Any advice? Ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 33 Old 02-12-2008, 07:50 PM

no advice, i'm doing the same thing.

Theresa, Mom to DS 4-6-06, and DD 5-11-08, and another on the way anyday.
WAHM behind Crystal City Fibers on Etsy.
#3 of 33 Old 02-12-2008, 07:57 PM

I've had small bursts of this throughout the pregnancy. For the most part, I do really, really well, and then for a week at a time, I crave something bad nearly every day. It's incredibly annoying. Today, I was in the check out lane at Target, and while my cart only had healthy things in it, I ended up buying a dark chocolate mounds bar and a cold mocha coffee. If my kids hadn't been with me, who knows what else I would have grabbed. Sigh.

Amanda and Dh, ds 09/00, ds 08/03, ds 10/05, and ds 05/08, and 3 :
#4 of 33 Old 02-12-2008, 08:18 PM

No advice, either. I'm having the same problem.
#5 of 33 Old 02-12-2008, 08:25 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Hmmm not sure. My vice is carbs.

Maybe you're having a GIRL. You know, because they're so sweet.

Mommy to THREE sweet boys & ONE sweet girl + a newb due in February!  I need a nap. 
#6 of 33 Old 02-12-2008, 08:32 PM

I am having sugar cravings, too. My husband bought me a 109-piece box of Godiva chocolates for Valentine's Day and I think that my pancreas might explode by the end of the week.

Someone mentioned a while back that taking acidophilus helped make her sugar cravings go away.

mom to sam arlo (5), olive loretta (3)....and twin girls Annie and Ramona Jean, born 3/10.

#7 of 33 Old 02-12-2008, 08:58 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Molck View Post
I started getting sugar cravings a couple weeks ago, about the time the pain I was having (gone now!) stole all my sleep.
I just had to post and say YAY!!!!!!!!! No more pain!!!! How did you get rid of it?

And that was me who said the probiotics were helping. I was taking them already, but my homeopath had me more than double my dose. She said my body was struggling with candida overgrowth, and because those buggers thrive off sugar, they were making me crave it. FYI, upping the dose that much can cause digestive upset, loose stools, etc., so she had me work up to the higher dose over the course of two weeks (I did have some loose stools initially, so I just backed down and built up slowly again, and that seemed to work). Anyway, I would say it took at least a week after I started upping the dose before I noticed a real improvement in the cravings.

That said, I had a really emotionally difficult day about two weeks ago and fell off the wagon hard. I ate a HUGE amount of chocolate over the course of a few days, and now I'm finding the cravings are back. Not as strong as before, but for a while there they were essentially gone.

I just posted on another thread what my dosage is (my probiotic isn't available over the counter, unfortunately, or I'd just recommend it) ... let me go find that and I'll copy it over here.

Mama to M (7/05) and S (5/08) my surprise !!!
#8 of 33 Old 02-12-2008, 09:02 PM

My daily intake (broken into two doses) is:
L. acidophilus 75 billion CFU (CFU = colony forming unit)
Bifidobacterium bifidum 12.5 billion CFU
Bifidobacterium lactis 12.5 billion CFU
Lactobacillus salivarius 30 billion CFU
fructo-oligosaccharides (FOS) 10 g

I think CFU may be a European/Australian "unit," as I had never seen that before. So I don't know how helpful this is, but it's the best I can do ...

#9 of 33 Old 02-12-2008, 09:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanana View Post
I just had to post and say YAY!!!!!!!!! No more pain!!!! How did you get rid of it?

And that was me who said the probiotics were helping.
I don't know! Something just shifted I guess, because the pain eased up slowly starting Friday and was gone by yesterday (except for a few twinges today when I went back to water aerobics-- I REALLY hope I can keep going!). I did have my first chiropractor appointment last Friday, so maybe that was it?! And I've been working to keep my abdominal muscles totally loose and relaxed. Who knows? Crossing my fingers that it doesn't return, though.

For the probiotics-- maybe I'll try upping my dose. I've been hesitant to try as my digestive system is so sensitive to them, but it may be worth a day or two of trial to see if I can take it.

(In the meantime... Gah! Norajane-- I cannot stop thinking about boxes of chocolates! I can't imagine actually having one in the house! Maybe this onset of sugar cravings is just the unfortunate result of Valentines Day advertisements.)
#10 of 33 Old 02-12-2008, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by norajane View Post
I am having sugar cravings, too. My husband bought me a 109-piece box of Godiva chocolates for Valentine's Day and I think that my pancreas might explode by the end of the week.

Someone mentioned a while back that taking acidophilus helped make her sugar cravings go away.
Oh gosh, my BIL is a buyer for a huge furniture company, and one of the companies from which he gets steel gave out 109 piece Godiva boxes for Christmas. He and my SIL don't eat chocolate (she's allergic; he's just weird ), so they passed it on to me and Dh. Yikes. I was thankful and hated them all at the same time!

Amanda and Dh, ds 09/00, ds 08/03, ds 10/05, and ds 05/08, and 3 :
#11 of 33 Old 02-12-2008, 09:23 PM

My midwife told me two things. First, take probiotics. The second is that when you are craving sugar it's becuase your body needs protein but sugar is just the quick fix. So, grab a handful of nuts, wait a while, and see if that doesn't help. I think it's been helping me, a little. I have major sugar cravings pregnant or not so it's hard for me to tell if it's the pregnancy or just my love of sugar ;-)
#12 of 33 Old 02-12-2008, 09:26 PM

Glad to know I'm not alone. I've been on the UC forum for a long time and it just occurred to me to check out some of the other forums. I'm due in May, and also having sugar cravings. I eat very well, but still give in to sugar way more than before I was preggers. At least I'm in good company!
#13 of 33 Old 02-12-2008, 09:51 PM

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Oh gosh, SO glad this isn't happening only to me!! I was eating so well until about a week and a half ago, and now I can't stop snacking. Like seriously, I know it just takes willpower but I just crave REAL sweets and don't feel full, satisfied, or good at ALL until I get SOMETHING!! It's doing a number on my weight gain, that's for sure. I even take probiotcs daily, too!!

Me (30) - DH (32) 11.5 years!
DD (9) ~ DD (7) ~ DS (5) ~ DS (2)

Mama to 10 babies in Heaven
#14 of 33 Old 02-12-2008, 09:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaWolfe View Post
... The second is that when you are craving sugar it's becuase your body needs protein but sugar is just the quick fix. So, grab a handful of nuts, wait a while, and see if that doesn't help...
I'm definitely going to try this! As soon as I read it, it felt right. Thanks
#15 of 33 Old 02-12-2008, 10:10 PM

It is really getting to me too and as much as i would like to fill the fridge with sweet fruits they are just WAY to expensive up here right now. I just try not to buy any of those weakness item like little debbie cakes. Fruit popsicles have kinda helped with he cravings a little.
#16 of 33 Old 02-12-2008, 10:44 PM

I have been trying so hard to resist the sugar cravings too. It doesn't help any that dh works for a candy company and they send a big box of extras home with him at every candy holiday, so with V day coming up, I'm sure we'll have a bunch of it in the house for a couple of days until I can give it away.
#17 of 33 Old 02-12-2008, 10:49 PM

Yep, me too Although, I have almost completely cut soda out of my diet so I am thinking that maybe my body is missing some of that sugar and is trying to make up for it with candy. My favorite is Milk Chocolate bars and a jar of Peanut Butter. :

Livin' surf.gif Laughin' lol.gif Lovin' joy.gif - Just Me and Sammers, my homebirthin' little girl. 

#18 of 33 Old 02-13-2008, 04:31 AM

Another thing to try. With my first pregnancy, my midwife told me that various vit/min deficincies will mask as sugar cravings, but what your body really wants is leafy greens. Try eating a nice salad for lunch (along with a protein serving) and see if that doesn't do the trick. Seems to work for me!
#19 of 33 Old 02-13-2008, 10:51 AM

yay! i dont feel like such a terrible person anymore. i remember not too long ago i would give the evil eye to pregnant women i saw eating candy and drinking sodas...but now you might catch me sitting on a bench all by myself enjoying a big scoop of ice cream!!! :
#20 of 33 Old 02-13-2008, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by babysanchez614 View Post
but now you might catch me sitting on a bench all by myself enjoying a big scoop of ice cream!!! :
Isn't that the truth! I went out for coffee with a friend last night, and there is a Coldstone Creamery right down the street. I knew they closed at 9 PM, so just before they closed I sidled down there to get my fix . Too bad for me! We were having a bad snow storm and they closed early due to the weather! The nerve ! It's probably a good thing, though . Especially considering I'd already had a toffee bar at the coffee house :.

#21 of 33 Old 02-13-2008, 11:51 AM

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
I don't fuss about it and just eat the sugar. It is the only time in my life I crave sugar, so no big deal.

DS1 2004 ~ DS2 2005 ~ DD1 2008 ~ DS3 2010 ~ DD2 born at 31 weeks Oct. 2014
#22 of 33 Old 02-13-2008, 01:13 PM

Me too, Me too. I have had the worst sugar cravings. I even ate 2 donuts on my way to work the other day. I just can't get enough. And I am obsessed with soda. I hardly ever drink that stuff, but it just all sounds so good. I have been pretty good at not caving into my cravings, but there are sometimes I just have to scratch that itch.
#23 of 33 Old 02-13-2008, 01:36 PM

The last couple of weeks (months?) have been crazy for me with the sugar! I crave sugary sweets and junk food ALL THE TIME. I eat something "bad" (but so SO good) at least once a day. Oreos with vanilla soy milk are my latest thing. I've also been eating Edy's Cheesecake Diva ice cream. And pure milk chocolate bars. I feel bad but I really don't. How many times in my life am I going to be pregnant? Maybe twice? I'm trying to just give myself a break and enjoy these last couple of months!
#24 of 33 Old 02-13-2008, 01:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by swngrrl View Post
Another thing to try. With my first pregnancy, my midwife told me that various vit/min deficincies will mask as sugar cravings, but what your body really wants is leafy greens. Try eating a nice salad for lunch (along with a protein serving) and see if that doesn't do the trick. Seems to work for me!
Well, I eat a big salad with protein and mixed greens for lunch and dinner almost every day (I've been craving that right along with the sugar, and it's so much easier than cooking), so I don't think that's it.
#25 of 33 Old 02-13-2008, 01:51 PM - Thread Starter

I'm so glad to see I'm not the only one that's "needing" sugar like this :. I'd just give in if it didn't seem to affect my mood so negatively (of course, so does stressing about it). Oh well. At least I'm not alone in this . Somehow knowing it's happening to all of you too makes me feel a lot better.
I Love May DDC
#26 of 33 Old 02-13-2008, 02:43 PM

I hate to add this, but last weekend I was teaching a card making class at my work and i had a bunch of girl scouts. I ordered 8 boxes of cookies! they will be in at the end of the month. 5 thin mints, 2 lemon coolers, and 1 caramel delights. MMMMMmmmm I really hope all these girl scout cookies help me to have a girl, lol.
gabby
#27 of 33 Old 02-13-2008, 03:39 PM

I would love to relax and indulge myself (okay, well I already do, but I could do a whole lot more indulging very easily ), but since I've already gained around 32 lbs and I still have more than 10 weeks to go, that just doesn't feel like a very wise choice!

#28 of 33 Old 02-13-2008, 06:45 PM

Hi Mamas!

I don't post too often, but love checking out the DDC when I get the chance.

I've been hit with the sugar bug BIG time and coincidentally just talked to my midwife about it at my appointment this morning. I mentioned that Shanana had found that upping probiotics had worked (thanks Shanana!), and my MW told me that a probiotic with FOS in it is also really helpful...but I forget why! Darn pregnancy brain....I think it was because the FOS actually *eat *the bad bacteria, whereas the probiotic strains just help populate the gut w/the good guys. She also said to at least try to eat a good meal before going for the sugar.

For the most part I'm just trying to aim my cravings towards healthier versions of sweet treats, but not freaking out about it when I don't. That said, I do really want to get my flora as healthy as possible before birthing this baby, since from what I understand the baby's gut flora gets populated on its way down the birth canal with whatever intestinal flora the mama has at the time. Now that I'm about to enter the 3rd trimester I figure it's time to take that pretty seriously, especially as we spent a couple months fighting horrific thrush in both my son & myself just after his birth & I'd really REALLY like to avoid going through that again.
#29 of 33 Old 02-13-2008, 07:47 PM

I have been craving ice cream sodas and root beer floats! I try to stop them by eating yogurt, salad or fruit but I fail! I have had one a day for 2 days now. My husband was upset I did not eat my dinner after filling up on sugar. I know I need to eat well for the baby... its just that I need sugar.
#30 of 33 Old 02-13-2008, 09:46 PM

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Okay, so everytime I see this thread bumped I think it says "super cravings"...but I guess that's pretty much true anyway.

I was just thinking that one good thing that comes from me eating sweets is that I drink a TON of water when I do (because I LOVE water with chocolate and cookies and whatever else ).

Me (30) - DH (32) 11.5 years!
DD (9) ~ DD (7) ~ DS (5) ~ DS (2)

Mama to 10 babies in Heaven

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page