VBAC mamas? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 29 Old 03-14-2008, 10:16 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
How many are we??

How is everyone doing? I don't want to draw you attention to your uterus at this point, but just wondering how everyone else is feeling. I only have fleeting moments of UR panic. Much less than I anticipated having. Mostly I am over the moon excited to have the birth I thought I would have last time! I can't wait to go into labor and to deliver my baby.

I have a great OB and found myself a lovely doula.

My plan is to stay at home as looooong as possible. I don't want to go in pushing necessarily, but I want to avoid the hospital for as long as possible.

I find myself thinking about my son's birth and trying to put the awful parts in the past and only take the good stuff to his sister's birth.

I am so excited for the baby to come!

How are you doing?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 29 Old 03-14-2008, 11:52 AM

I'm finally allowing myself to believe that I'm going to have a successful VBAC. Everything looks encouraging. My uterus is behaving (It's usually unruly.) Even my Ob/Gyn is encouraging. I, too, am going to stay home as long as possible. I'm gonna get my VBAC! Did you hear that?

I'm going to get my VBAC!

I was wondering if anyone in our DDC has had a successful VBAC. Anyone?
#3 of 29 Old 03-14-2008, 11:53 AM

I'm having an HBAC with a phenomenal midwife that treats me as if I didn't have a scar. I barely ever think about the scar, in fact I really don't think about it at all. I just got my hypnobabies stuff this week so I'm trying to read and listen to the cds. We have a childbirth class coming up this weekend and I'm planning on hiring the teacher to be my doula (she also happens to be a CPM but its not legal in IL for her to practice).

Honestly the only thing that concerns me is what to do with DD while I'm in labor. She's extremely clingy to DH and I, the only other people she likes are my parents but they don't know about the homebirth. So we're at a major dilemma...
#4 of 29 Old 03-14-2008, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleRockstar View Post
ME! ME!

My first was a c/sec and I have had 2 home births since then and I am now having my first UP/UC. After my first HBAC, I did not even worry about another c/sec as long as I stayed out of a hospital.

People are so funny in really life, when I tell someone about having a HB after a c/sec they always ask "How do you do a c/sec at home?" People are so weird!
#5 of 29 Old 03-14-2008, 12:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleRockstar View Post
I'm finally allowing myself to believe that I'm going to have a successful VBAC. Everything looks encouraging. My uterus is behaving (It's usually unruly.) Even my Ob/Gyn is encouraging. I, too, am going to stay home as long as possible. I'm gonna get my VBAC! Did you hear that?

I'm going to get my VBAC!

I hear you sister!!!!
#6 of 29 Old 03-14-2008, 03:56 PM

I'm having a VBAC too!

I just hired a wonderful doula, and my midwives are great. I find myself thinking about unlikely scary things happening (won't bore you with the details), but I think it's just because everything is lined up so perfectly that I don't have anything legitimate to worry about. After all, I can't just NOT worry, right?

Seriously, I am just now starting to get EXCITED about having this baby, and more than I am scared of it.

Now I just have to finish some sewing!

Dawn - Mom to : Jack 11/04 and David 5/08
#7 of 29 Old 03-14-2008, 06:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggijessie View Post
ME! ME!

People are so funny in really life, when I tell someone about having a HB after a c/sec they always ask "How do you do a c/sec at home?" People are so weird!
It's become so commonplace that people forget it's surgery!
#8 of 29 Old 03-14-2008, 06:20 PM - Thread Starter

Anyone doing or not doing anything special?

I have pretty much stopped reading the VBAC forum here and the fiery ICAN postings. It's all too much for me sometimes. I feel like I know all that I need to at this point to be successful. I am sure there is tons more to know but I can't focus on THAT part of DD birth anymore, kwim?

I am going to start to watch some birth videos with positive images - no more Baby Story csection nightmares for me.

RRL tea everyday in a couple of weeks.
Preventative GBS measures for the 36 week test.

I feel confident and supported.
I think I'll give a yell too...

I'm going to have a VBAC!

that felt good!
#9 of 29 Old 03-14-2008, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate'sMama View Post
I have pretty much stopped reading the VBAC forum here and the fiery ICAN postings. It's all too much for me sometimes. I feel like I know all that I need to at this point to be successful. I am sure there is tons more to know but I can't focus on THAT part of DD birth anymore, kwim?

I'm going to have a VBAC!

that felt good!

When I was researching whether or not to VBAC I wore myself out. I finally reachd a point where it's not so much a VBAC as it is a homebirth. I actually have no worries about UR. My main fear is that I will not go into labor on my own and will end up with another C-section at 42 weeks. My DS was a C-section after a failed induction. I never dilated or had contractions or anything like that.
Good news is that this baby feels a lot lower than my son ever did. I feel a lot of pressure on my bladder and my stomach seems to be lower too. Hopefully he will engage a few weeks before my due date ( DS never did ).
Good luck to all you mommas!

Dalila, mom to two boys, 7 and 5

490/2013

#10 of 29 Old 03-14-2008, 09:20 PM

I stopped reading too. If I come up with another specific question I might go look it up, but I'm done reading, watching, listening... especially the horror stories. I have agreed to an ultrasound because I have a large fibroid and OB wants to look at it, but he doesn't really think it should be an issue. (I'm curious about it too, or I wouldn't have agreed to the ultrasound.)

Other than that, I'm determined to at least pretend to relax and enjoy some of this pregnancy. I have everything but a sling and cloth diapers small enough for a newborn. I will be ordering a sling or three this weekend. As for tiny CDs....AHHHHH...they're stressing me out.

I'm gonna get my VBAC!
#11 of 29 Old 03-14-2008, 09:36 PM

I WANT to be a VBAC mama, but that decision is still up in the air for me as of now. I won't be sure until after the neurosurgeon consult and then a talk with my OB.

She was all for a VBAC at first, then we found out about the tumor and the hydrocephaly. She's more comfortable with a c-section but hasn't told me I can't try a VBAC. I guess a lot of it will depend on the size of the baby's head when we get closer to birth.

Mommy of 3 super charged kiddos
#12 of 29 Old 03-15-2008, 12:00 AM

VBAC here!! I purposely didn't say "hoping for a VBAC" in my sig... it's "planning" on one! I'm getting pretty excited about the idea of it, though I bet I'll have a freak out moment when I realize I'm really in labor.
#13 of 29 Old 03-15-2008, 05:33 PM

I'm aiming for a UBAC, but at the very least a VBAC I've almost entirely forgotten about the aspect that it'll be a vbac instead of just a normal birth! YAY! UR is actually at the bottom of my list of worries now. I'm more concerned about a sunny side up'er and I know I should be better about sitting in anterior friendly positions...must get around to doing that...

I just can't wait for labour to start! I'm so excited to experience it all!

DH and I - totally winging life with our four children, DS1 (6.5yrs), DS2 (5yrs), DD (3yrs) and DS3 (1)!

#14 of 29 Old 03-15-2008, 08:28 PM

ME! I've been planning a VBAC since way before this one was concieved. My 1st was a frank breech. So I'm confident as long as we can get this guy head down, we're good. My lovely OB is very VBAC friendly, got my support in place, chiro experienced in inversion techniques ready just in case.

Last night I had this wonderful dream. I could see my baby in the womb (well it was a liquid filled orb) and I was singing this little rhyme one of my friend's told me she used: "Head down, chin tucked, elbows in, knees up." to him and he was slowly and calmly turning. I just kept singing to him while he stayed in the correct position. I woke up all smiles.

Breeder Mama: = wife to an amazing man + mama to J-Bear (07/02) and E-Train (06/08), nanny to Little Bird (07/10).

#15 of 29 Old 03-16-2008, 05:18 PM

me too! everything looks great so far--baby is head-down (and posterior, but we're working on that), and i'm feeling great.

the weird thing is, i keep having dreams that i end up with a c/s after a long labor and 3 hours of pushing, and in my dreams i'm always SO mad that i didn't just schedule the section in the first place. but awake, i don't think i'll really feel like that... so it's strange to me that i'm dreaming that. ah well, besides for being really annoying, the dreams don't bother me.

sometimes i start to get really excited about it. imagine, having a baby and then being up and about right afterwards!
#16 of 29 Old 03-16-2008, 05:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by majormajor View Post
sometimes i start to get really excited about it. imagine, having a baby and then being up and about right afterwards!
Imagine that!!! oooh I can't wait for that.
#17 of 29 Old 03-17-2008, 10:41 AM

I met with my doula yesterday to go over my preferences for birth.

It was such a powerful experience. She asked very open-ended but perceptive questions that got me thinking about my c/s experience in a new way. I found myself remembering things I had forgotten, and DH told about some things that happened that I didn't even remember. It was really the first time I had heard him talk about his experience in such depth, and I learned of his emotional reactions for the first time. I came out of it feeling emotionally drained, but better. And more determined than ever to stay out of the OR this time.

I am going to birth this baby, and I'm really getting excited about it!

Dawn - Mom to : Jack 11/04 and David 5/08
#18 of 29 Old 03-17-2008, 11:29 AM

I'm trying to remain hopeful, but it's hard. My OB has moved out of state, so now I'm seeing a different doctor in the practice...I would have switched to one of the midwives, but they're not covered by my insurance and we simply don't have the funds to cover it all out of pocket. I had my first appointment with the new doctor a couple of weeks ago, and she says that while she normally encourages "trial of labor" for prior c/s patients at the very least, she would personally recommend a repeat c/s for me because of my particular circumstances. However, I didn't really think about it at the time, but I realized that she somehow gathered from my charts that I ended up with a c/s because DS wasn't moving down. That's not really the case. I have no idea how far down he actually made it. I had a c/s because I didn't know better and allowed them to start me on Pitocin four hours after I got to the hospital (nine hours after my water broke) and after eleven hours on it, I never progressed past 6 cm. I also had pretty bad SPD, AND DS was facing up instead of down. All of that together put BOTH of us in distress.

But I've been seeing a chiropractor to correct the SPD this time. I will NOT let them give me Pitocin. I'm waiting as long as I can to go to the hospital. I simply refuse to schedule another c/s, even if it would be more convenient and I'd supposedly have an easier recovery than if I go into labor and end up having to have another. This is my last baby and I need to at least be able to say I tried. I'm at peace with the thought of possibly ending up with another c/s, but I'm not going to throw in the towel and just have another because it's more convenient or whatever. Now, if something comes up in the next few weeks that makes me feel a repeat would be in my best interests, fine. But as of right now, I don't think that's the case.
#19 of 29 Old 03-17-2008, 03:26 PM

COUNT ME IN!!!!!!!!!!

I am so happy to report that I am still in the game for an HBAC!!!!!!!

My MW is WONDERFUL and as Chantel pointed out, treats me as if there were no scar on my belly. I see her this week and again at 37 weeks, when she will meet with my dh for an emergency childbirth session and the wonderful birth-team of 3 HB mama's I am SO lucky to have on my side pulling for me.

I have not thought of UR more than a couple of seconds. I will see if I can find it (I originally found it on the VBAC forum), but there is a wonderful article explaining the very low risk of UR in VBAC's. The risk is the same for a vaginal birth without having a c-section first. Amazing.

I really have NO worries at this point. The only thing that weighs on me a BIT is not knowing what to expect in labor since my first labor was induced and not even close to a natural labor. So, there are some uncertainties, but, I feel that my labor will be very normal and healthy, as I FULLY know that my first labor was only unusual in the fact that there were so many interventions and had nothing to do with my body's ability to birth.

I, too, have my Hypnobabies stuff and am listening to it, although I ALWAYS fall asleep. Thank goondess they say that's okay.

Good luck to everyone planning a VBAC/HBAC. Not that we need it!
#20 of 29 Old 03-28-2008, 04:42 PM

we are planning a VBAC at a birth center. i had a long talk with one of the midwives this week about what i thought contributed to the c-section last time. i tried to be very honest and she asked a lot of questions.

i am hopeful. this practice and birth center seem like a much more supportive environment.
#21 of 29 Old 03-28-2008, 09:02 PM

we are having a hbac. i love my midwife who is my source of knowledge. whenever i have a question she has been wonderful. i also have a doula who is so warm and norturing that i know she will help me and support me. i am done with research and feel confident in my body to do what god intended for it to do . i know my past csection was from me allowing other people interfer with nature. i am so happy to see there are so many of us doing this. people seem so surprise when i say that i am going vbac. they are more concerned with me not going to the hospital. you couldn't pay me enough to go there unless i absolutely need to.
#22 of 29 Old 03-28-2008, 09:20 PM

I am going to have my second VBAC in May, this time an HBAC though. The last time was a perfect, completely med and intervention free natural birth in a hospital - and I should have stayed home for that one too.
#23 of 29 Old 03-29-2008, 06:01 PM

I am going to have a VBAC also. I am seeing a midwife who is very supportive but unfortunately she cannot deliver in the hospitals and that is the only place to have a baby here. The ob I meet with wants to schedule me a section because....baby will be big (first one 9.7lbs), he may not be there when I go into labor and the other obs are even more conservative than he is...
Anyway, I found a doula. I am going for acupuncture and she will start inducing me around 37 weeks (ok by mw)

I too will stay home as long as I can before entering the hospital.

http://susanchegari.vibrantscents.com/

#24 of 29 Old 03-29-2008, 06:11 PM

very encouraging VBAC slide show from ICAN. thought i would share, especially since i am expecting a big baby.
#25 of 29 Old 04-10-2008, 09:29 AM - Thread Starter

Because of Stace's post I thought I'd bump this one again.

I was away for a while. In part because of some VBAC fears that I had to let go of and couldn't do it without unplugging for a bit.

How's everyone doing?
#26 of 29 Old 04-10-2008, 10:23 AM

I'm 37 weeks today, so I'm cleared for my HBAC.

Had a prenatal yesterday, I'm GBS negative, put on 2 pounds in 6 weeks for a grand total of 29 pounds. Midwife thinks that the baby is already almost 8 pounds. DD was 8 lbs 10 ozs. I'm going to start taking EPO gelcaps today and just relax more. I've been nesting really bad lately. The only not great news is that baby is posterior and very low. So the midwife is concerned that I'll have a long and tough labor. So I'm just watching my posture, seeing the chiro and getting on hands and knees.

Overall, I'm so excited and so at ease with this birth. What a difference a great provider can make! Even my DH is at total peace with this birth and really looking forward to it.
#27 of 29 Old 04-15-2008, 11:09 AM

Okay, I'm in!

So what is everyone doing to prepare? EPO? RRL tea?

Mommy of 3 super charged kiddos
#28 of 29 Old 04-15-2008, 12:04 PM - Thread Starter

yippee cjsmommy!!

I will start EPO and RRL after I get through the GBS stuff next week
One thing at a time here.
#29 of 29 Old 04-15-2008, 12:42 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
I'm planning an HBAC. I probably would have popped in earlier, but I mostly just think about this birth as a normal birth, and ignore the VBAC side of it a lot. I do get odd moments of self doubt, but I'm quite confident that I've made the best choices I can this time. I'm drinking a whole bunch of RRL tea.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page