Exams in May - Mothering Forums

#1 of 14 Old 03-19-2008, 10:11 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My exam timetable was finally released! So I have exams 07/05, 15/05 & 21/05. My due date is 23/05. I'm not expecting the baby on the due date, really, but what do you peeps reckon about sitting the exams? I am tempted to sit the first two & decide right off that I won't even attempt to sit the last one, just to give myself that breathing/preparation space... on the other hand, that leaves me sitting the exam next May with a one-year-old... but then I'm already feeling very stressed (have coursework due in mid-April, then the exams, then, erm, the baby!) so I worry about the effect on my labour/bonding etc. Argh! Any advice?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 14 Old 03-19-2008, 02:17 PM

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Unless I were feeling very crampy and prelaborish, I would sit the last exam just to have it done and not have to relearn it in a year.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DS1 2004 ~ DS2 2005 ~ DD1 2008 ~ DS3 2010 ~ DD2 born at 31 weeks Oct. 2014
#3 of 14 Old 03-19-2008, 04:03 PM

Yeah, I think I'd push myself to sit all three, just to get them done. It'll be tough, but I think it will be worth it. One thing to consider, too, is that there's a good chance your body will feel the stress of the exams and wait to have the baby until they're over, and you're relaxed. Having all that out of the way will probably make for better labor/bonding as well.

#4 of 14 Old 03-19-2008, 07:44 PM

:

Thankfully, my exams are in April.

Breeder Mama: = wife to an amazing man + mama to J-Bear (07/02) and E-Train (06/08), nanny to Little Bird (07/10).

#5 of 14 Old 03-19-2008, 11:09 PM

Discuss the situation with your faculty advisor and your professors. Perhaps you could get permission to take it earlier. You are likely to be in a better position if you take a positive proactive approach.
#6 of 14 Old 03-20-2008, 12:39 AM

I would absolutely take the exams. I just graduated and I put off my thesis paper because of a really hard first trimester. I wish I had just done it when it was due the first time because it was so hard to get it done late. I have a feeling it would be similar for exams. Except harder because you have to wait a whole year to take them.

I might try to take them early, but never late unless I had no other choice.
#7 of 14 Old 03-20-2008, 08:19 AM

With my son, I took my last final on a Monday... he was born Wednesday. He kicked the entire time because I was nervous and it is a great memory!

If you're worried, talk to your instructors and ask them if you can take them early.
#8 of 14 Old 03-20-2008, 09:24 AM

I too have an exam three days before my due date so I feel your pain! My prof is super understanding and said I could write it in the summer if need be. I told him that unless I am actually giving birth, I will be there. Better to do it when pg than parenting a newborn IMO.
#9 of 14 Old 03-20-2008, 11:04 AM - Thread Starter

I think I was hoping you would all say "don't worry about it!" but you're probably right. I might as well have a bash at it this year, since I can resit it next year if I fail. I can't sit it early.

Argh. I just feel so overwhelmed by this all.
#10 of 14 Old 03-20-2008, 11:28 AM

I know! I'm super stressed too... I still have two essays and a seminar presentation to do, plus exams. I am done done done, I dont care about school at all anymore, I only want to think about the baby. I'm just trying to push through, yk? I'm writing one of my essays about formula marketing so at least it's somewhat related, gives me an excuse to rant about medicalization of birth and separation of mother and baby for grades. This is good. But the rest of it I dont care... I dont care I dont care I dont care.

I've framed it in my head a bit as though this is a long labour... so many hoops to jump through and each one feels kind of overwhelming! But I'm just gonna do it and I will be so glad when I get to be done the hard part.
#11 of 14 Old 03-20-2008, 11:38 AM

I remember feeling so overwhelmed and miserable when I was pg and in school. It was awful. But it is much harder with the newborn to go back and focus on other things. I managed to finish well and though it was hard, it was so worth it.
#12 of 14 Old 03-20-2008, 01:39 PM

You student mamas are amazing women. I remember how stressful school was, and I'm fully aware of how hard the end of pregnancy is getting... I can't imagine combining the two!
#13 of 14 Old 03-20-2008, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by june'smom View Post
But it is much harder with the newborn to go back and focus on other things.
My last baby was born sort of in the middle of a semester and I KNOW that it was so hard once he was here to concentrate. The classes that I finished that semester were such a relief but the one I decided to take more time with and finish the next semester was a big pain in the butt....like something on your shoulders that won't let you relax and enjoy your little one! It was ALWAYS there looming! I was soooooo glad when I finally finished it!

So, I say try to finish but if you can't don't totally stress yourself out about it. You never know when your body is going to decide it's ready, you could end up going into labor super late and having all kinds of time to finish....but then again you could go early! Just go with the flow mama.
#14 of 14 Old 03-20-2008, 03:11 PM

i muddled through (and i do mean muddled) my first trimester of pregnancy with dd and last semester of grad school simultaneously. i had a lot of morning/evening/all the time sickness and thought about dropping my classes till after dd was born. let me say now...i would've never finished. i am so so happy that i pushed myself through and that my profs were so understanding because there were some classes that i missed for sure...

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page