So, what do you guys want to do when they close our DDC? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 25 Old 03-24-2008, 10:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I know it's a bit early for this, but seeing as how some of us will probably start having our babies in a few weeks ( and life is going to get hectic, I thought maybe we should open the discussion now. Me starting this thread is in NO WAY me volunteering to take this on or be the decision maker . I am not technically savvy when it comes to this kind of stuff. I'm just throwing it out there and hoping those of you who know more will pipe up and take over the process .

According to the DDC guidelines, our DDC will close one month after the due date month, so I assume that means around the end of June. With my old DDC, we just migrated over to Life With a Babe (and now Toddlers), and kept a monthly thread going and everyone just posted to that one thread. But we were a small group that got even smaller since many people were just too busy to keep up. It's nice because it stayed on MDC, but sometimes it's annoying to have everything on one thread, yk? I know some of the other DDCs go to an outside hosting site (Yahoo groups, etc.) and just keep their DDC going as its own forum. The downside to this is someone has to set it up and manage it (hopefully we would never need a moderator!), and it means one more place on the internet to "go". FWIW, I was lurking in one of the DDCs a while back while they were going through this and there were a lot of people against Yahoo groups (for poor usability, etc.). They ended up choosing someplace else, although I can't remember where .

I can see it going either way. Frankly, I fear that once I have two kids on my hands, I will not be nearly as active here as I am now. OTOH, my time on MDC is a sanity saver for me, and provides me with much needed adult "conversation" that is otherwise lacking in my day-to-day life (I have great friends, but who sees their friends every day?). So I don't necessarily have a preference one way or another, but I'm guessing some of you will!

So ... what do you guys think?

Mama to M (7/05) and S (5/08) my surprise !!!
#2 of 25 Old 03-24-2008, 11:05 PM

I'm still very new here but I would like to continue past the one month point. I don't have ideas other than Yahoo Groups.
#3 of 25 Old 03-24-2008, 11:08 PM

I'm another voter for at least trying to keep the group together, wherever it is. I'm up for anything, MDC or Yahoo or whatever. I could also be convinced to be a co-moderator if it comes to it.

Have you considered Google Groups? It's more e-mail based, I believe, but there are lots of options.

Sara caffix.gif, Keith 2whistle.gif, Toby 6/08superhero.gif, Nomi 4/10blahblah.gif, Mona 1/12 hammer.gif

Mama of three, lover, student rabbi, spoonie, friend, musician, narcoleptic, space muffin, pretty much a dragon. Crunchy like matzoh.

#4 of 25 Old 03-24-2008, 11:17 PM

I'm pretty bad at keeping up with things that aren't at either one of my two stomping grounds (here included).
#5 of 25 Old 03-24-2008, 11:20 PM

I'd rather stay at MDC, but if the majority want to move to yahoogroups I could help with setup. I've got a bunch of yahoogroups I run already.

-Angela
#6 of 25 Old 03-24-2008, 11:57 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I would love to have our own little place. I feel like we'd get way more separated on the babies board. Of course I would still post here but I would love to stay together in a way.

Mommy to THREE sweet boys & ONE sweet girl + a newb due in February!  I need a nap. 
#7 of 25 Old 03-25-2008, 12:07 AM

I am definitely horrible already about posting on here on a regular basis. I READ almost every post written, but responding is sporadic at best for me and this will be baby #3. :

I'd love to stay here somewhere, but I know things can get crazy trying to just FIND threads on here sometimes.

Anyone out there know how to set up php bulletin boards? we could make one for May 2008 mamas and rule the entire place!!
#8 of 25 Old 03-25-2008, 02:04 AM

I would love to have our own group or board or something, Shanana was it january you where thinking about? this is a thread here where they link to their new board http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=851637
so we can see what they have done, it seems like it would be easier to keep in touch if we were all together somewhere.
#9 of 25 Old 03-25-2008, 09:27 AM

My DDC from my son in 2005 migrated to a site called deadfrog. Now, it is run by one of the ladies that was in that DDC. The upside is that you can be a ton more candid than you can be here. Very few things are user violations. And it is more private. We have to log in to access our specific group. Most of the girls have stayed, and we are super close, even those that post just once a day or so.
#10 of 25 Old 03-25-2008, 10:15 AM

I am up for either ideas.

My DDC (Feb 2004) for my son is still together on a private board. We weren't on MDC though. A private board is what we wanted so we were free to say whatever we want without restrictions.

But whatever. I would like to stay together.

Anne, Mama to Conner 2/27/04 blahblah.gif  Gabrielle 2/6/06 W/LMC-TCS, Neurogenic Bladder, AFO & KAFO wearer, Neurogenic Bowel energy.gif & Delaney 5/12/08 mischievous.gif &  Beethoven cat.gif& Gizmo cat.gif

#11 of 25 Old 03-25-2008, 10:55 AM

I want to stay together too! It doesn't matter to matter to me where, I'm on MDC a lot and I can also go elsewhere.

Mommy of 3 super charged kiddos
#12 of 25 Old 03-25-2008, 11:24 AM

I would prefer bulletin or something similar to Yahoo or a one thread group over in babies. We're a darn chatty group and that thread would get out of control! I know nothing about setting up those, btw, but I don't think it's hard.
#13 of 25 Old 03-25-2008, 12:38 PM

I run a Google Group for something else and would be happy to admin one for our DDC. I've been very pleased with the user interface, etc.

The only hassle is setting it up, and after that it's pretty low maintenance for the admin(s). So if we do this, I vote to get everyone registered now while the baby's still inside me.

Maile
#14 of 25 Old 03-25-2008, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molck View Post
I run a Google Group for something else and would be happy to admin one for our DDC. I've been very pleased with the user interface, etc.

The only hassle is setting it up, and after that it's pretty low maintenance for the admin(s). So if we do this, I vote to get everyone registered now while the baby's still inside me.

Maile
I'll be a second vote for that one.

Sara caffix.gif, Keith 2whistle.gif, Toby 6/08superhero.gif, Nomi 4/10blahblah.gif, Mona 1/12 hammer.gif

Mama of three, lover, student rabbi, spoonie, friend, musician, narcoleptic, space muffin, pretty much a dragon. Crunchy like matzoh.

#15 of 25 Old 03-25-2008, 12:49 PM

So who's gonna set up the poll to decide?

Not many folks usually respond to me but it would be fun to keep a group of same time mommies...

Almost crunchy but sometimes soggy, homeschooling mommy of 2. biggrinbounce.gif

I work from home and love showing others how to do it too!

http://www.empoweredhomeschooler.com  computergeek2.gif

#16 of 25 Old 03-25-2008, 12:52 PM

In another DDC I belong to that started on baby center, they started their own board.
BUT I can guarantee that if this group moves to a separate venue, I won't be visiting because it's just one more site to visit.

Also e-mail based groups are a no-go for me, they take way too much time to read. I'm on one yahoogroup and it's a struggle to read there as well as here, a UC board and check my e-mail.

So I guess I'm saying, I'd rather just stick with something on MDC.

DH and I - totally winging life with our four children, DS1 (6.5yrs), DS2 (5yrs), DD (3yrs) and DS3 (1)!

#17 of 25 Old 03-25-2008, 01:18 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chantelhayes View Post
I would prefer bulletin or something similar to Yahoo or a one thread group over in babies. We're a darn chatty group and that thread would get out of control! I know nothing about setting up those, btw, but I don't think it's hard.
We ARE a chatty group. I've noticed that too!

Mommy to THREE sweet boys & ONE sweet girl + a newb due in February!  I need a nap. 
#18 of 25 Old 03-25-2008, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little grey mare View Post

So I guess I'm saying, I'd rather just stick with something on MDC.
Is there any way we could approach MDC about setting up Baby Clubs similar to DDC and see if they'd be willing to make the new forums?
#19 of 25 Old 03-25-2008, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Is there any way we could approach MDC about setting up Baby Clubs similar to DDC and see if they'd be willing to make the new forums?
I was thinking along the same lines, soemthing like a sub-forum.

I don't want to leave anyone out

Mommy of 3 super charged kiddos
#20 of 25 Old 03-25-2008, 01:51 PM

Quote:
I like this idea. I've already joined two yahoogroups (a local AP and a local VBAC) and my inbox is out of control. I like the idea of staying at MDC if we can but the one thread thing would get out of control.

Breeder Mama: = wife to an amazing man + mama to J-Bear (07/02) and E-Train (06/08), nanny to Little Bird (07/10).

#21 of 25 Old 03-25-2008, 02:44 PM

Quote:
I love this idea.

If it doesn't work, then I think a good compromise/solution might be to do a thread in Life with a Babe and have a separate board for those who are interested. I doubt I will have the time to join another message board, so my activity would be limited to MDC, but if there are mamas who wish to do a separate board, by all means, you should feel free to do so. I think keeping us in LWAB is a good call though, since a lot of us will be checking out that board anyway when our little ones arrive.
#22 of 25 Old 03-25-2008, 03:34 PM

Quote:
I would love this! I'm sure other DDCs have wanted this too.

Who wants to ask? How? Puppyfluffer? Or someone who already has a relationship w/ MDC? Would you be willing to propose this to them?
#23 of 25 Old 03-25-2008, 06:31 PM

We could ask... but I pretty much promise they'll say no. Groups have asked for years for specific sub-forums for topics before they happen. It's just too big of a board to have a thousand sub-forums.

-Angela
#24 of 25 Old 03-26-2008, 02:37 AM

I will go along with whatever, but I can tell you that I feel far more comfortable sharing things like pictures, names, details, ect on the private board than here. This is just too public of a forum. I think that is why most of the groups end up leaving to go somewhere else. More privacy.
#25 of 25 Old 03-26-2008, 10:10 AM

I'm fine with whatever everyone decides!

Dalila, mom to two boys, 7 and 5

490/2013

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page