Where are we on cloth diapers? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 52 Old 04-04-2008, 05:30 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well I spent about 600 dollars on DS's medium stash which I still have but did sell the ones that caused him issues. The diapers I like are 25 bucks a piece and so thats about 500 dollars and then DH calculated the cost of washing which *I* think doesnt really count. Then he calculated my time into it, which also shouldn't count. THEN I wanted to add up gas costs of going to buy more diapers but he wouldnt because he says that counts into regular grocery shopping.

Get this. THIS is how crazy my DH is. He says that the environment part doesnt count because they've come up with a way to burn 500 tons of trash into 5 lbs of ash to use for fertilizer and then it creates a gas that the machine runs on. Yes. This is what I'm dealing with. He just hates cloth with a passion. He think they're stinky (we did have a lot of stink issues) and he thinks I'll be too busy to deal with washing (which doesn't take time to ME) but seriously after 5 months of bitter fighting about it I just can't anymore. DS is nowhere NEAR potty learning ready. And in the morning I cry when I see those nasty ass chemical beads on his penis.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 52 Old 04-04-2008, 09:20 PM

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Aimee, I say do what you want to do and don't engage dh in a debate about it.

We use cloth for everything except tp. I'm okay with that, though! Somehow toddler poop is less gross than adult poop.

I have 25 small FBs for dd, but now am also getting 12 Kissaluv 0s and 4 extra small FBs to add to my 18 infant PFs (which I am serging shorter tomorrow) b/c my boys were too small for small FBs at first. But of course, now that I am buying the newborn size dipes, I am sure she will come out 10 lbs and never wear them and I will cry. I also have a few cute covers coming - a chenille Blue Penguin among them.

DS1 2004 ~ DS2 2005 ~ DD1 2008 ~ DS3 2010 ~ DD2 born at 31 weeks Oct. 2014
#33 of 52 Old 04-04-2008, 09:34 PM

Well this is a good spot for more info for me.

DS1 is totally in sposies and though I've considered cloth for #2, it's really difficult for me to figure out how to do it. We have no laundry facilities in our building, and the nearest laundromat is... not so near. So figure I'll get to a laundromat once every two weeks. Am I going to need a *ton* of cloth diapers to make this work? Is it going to be stinky all those diapers piling up? Plus, we are broke right now, definitely can't afford a huge upfront investment... what do you all think?
#34 of 52 Old 04-04-2008, 09:46 PM

we use cloth everything except for toilet paper too...

i'm in the process of making a billion kagillion prefolds right NOW. We didn't get any diapering supplies for our shower, and although we can afford to buy all the supplies I decided to see if I could make them using goodwill finds, etc. Now I Have enough cut up and layered cloth for 30 dipes, 20 doublers and countless wipes. I just have to get thread and start sewing it all together.

total spent so far: $56.

so i'm assuming after all this work we will actually use the dipes i'm making. i never thought about not using them at night.

do a lot of people find that necessary?

living light husband wife loving life two sons to birth for our light loving earth. :
#35 of 52 Old 04-04-2008, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Aimee, I say do what you want to do and don't engage dh in a debate about it.
amen!

have you stripped the dipes that are smelling? what kind are they? what fabric? and what kind of washer do you have? what detergent do you use? I'm plenty happy to help you trouble-shoot diaper issues!! nearly all have a solution.

Melissa, I never found cloth dipes waiting to be washed stinky, of course we breastfed and that makes a big difference. To go for 2 weeks though, that would definitely require a bigger stash. Do you have a friend or family nearby who could let you wash at their house more often? or maybe consider diaper service which would pick up and drop off the dipes so you can avoid the laundromat for them altogether.
#36 of 52 Old 04-04-2008, 09:49 PM

re: cloth tp, if you can get over the mental block your bum will thank you! it's the only thing that keeps me from painful hemorrhoid surgery!

chirp, if you use doublers effectively and use 2 prefolds for night you could get away with only those. diaper flannel (2 layers in and out) and kitchen grade terry (as the inside layer) make great doublers and are very simple to do on a serger.
#37 of 52 Old 04-04-2008, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Melissa* View Post
Well this is a good spot for more info for me.

DS1 is totally in sposies and though I've considered cloth for #2, it's really difficult for me to figure out how to do it. We have no laundry facilities in our building, and the nearest laundromat is... not so near. So figure I'll get to a laundromat once every two weeks. Am I going to need a *ton* of cloth diapers to make this work? Is it going to be stinky all those diapers piling up? Plus, we are broke right now, definitely can't afford a huge upfront investment... what do you all think?
because i love making my life difficult...

we don't have laundry (non-coin-op) facilities either and we are going to try out doing laundry by hand. i'm just gonna give you what I found from a few different sources...i just cut and paste it into 1 document for quick reference...

The bucket and plunger
This is a commonly used method for clothes washing and is probably the most effective hand washing method after the pressure washer. Place dirty clothes, water and detergent in a bucket and use a plunger to agitate. If you choose this method you’ll want to spend $10 on a “special” plunger made just for hand washing. Available from Lehman’s Non –Electric catalog (see above) this plunger has internal baffles to help get water and soap into the clothes. Soaking helps get any load of laundry cleaner, so don’t be afraid to let clothes soak.

I’ve read one suggestion that has some merit to it, although I admit I’ve never tried it. A lady whom I hold in rather high regard made a sort of washer out of a 5-gallon bucket with lid, a plumber’s plunger and a ring washer similar to that used for protecting the wiring that goes through the firewall of a car. She bored a hole in the lid, fitted the washer through, and put the plunger inside. It looks like a butter churn would if they were made of plastic. As I said, I haven’t tried this, but there seems no reason why it shouldn’t work.

I made an agitator for the rinse "cycle". I bought a new toilet plunger ($1.50) and cut 4 holes in it. The children will take turns rinsing the clothing with it. The holes let the water circulate and agitate the clothing, thoroughly rinsing. The clothes are put through the wringer a second time. Once I have my second rinse tub, we will rinse a second time.

to make this possible i got two new 5 gallon paint buckets and a drying rack. we still have to go out and get the plungers. i figure i'll presoak in my diaper pail, wash in one pail and rinse in the other. all of this taking place in the bathtub and probably 3-4 times per week.

i'm still researching the best stuff to kill bacteria, but i'm thinking a few drops of grapefruit seed extract in the wash bucket will do the trick.

once again, i like to make my life difficult though...

living light husband wife loving life two sons to birth for our light loving earth. :
#38 of 52 Old 04-04-2008, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatureMama3 View Post
re: cloth tp, if you can get over the mental block your bum will thank you! it's the only thing that keeps me from painful hemorrhoid surgery!

chirp, if you use doublers effectively and use 2 prefolds for night you could get away with only those. diaper flannel (2 layers in and out) and kitchen grade terry (as the inside layer) make great doublers and are very simple to do on a serger.

see i got everything from goodwill...is diaper flannel at all like flannel sheets? lol...i'm praying to ___________ (our great mother?) that this works and I didn't just waste 60 bucks and lots of good flannel sheets! (i used terry towels layered with flannel for the doublers and 4 layers of flannel for the prefolds.)

#39 of 52 Old 04-04-2008, 10:01 PM

#40 of 52 Old 04-04-2008, 10:19 PM

We did Cloth when DS was about 8 wks old. I got a diaperwraps combo kit for 250$. It included 5 Doz prefolds(4/8/4) and 20 wraps, 5 each of sm, med, lg. and a roll of 100 liners. I love them, the wraps are light and flexible, and the velcro doesn't get anywhere near his skin. Then, we got a few XL wraps and 3 Bumkins(which I hate) when he was about 15 mos old. the bumkins have this velcro that is so stiff, it has actually cut his leg! I took a scissprs to it, and it helped some, but for how much they cost I was really mad. Generally, he's only in a sposie at night, and for church. All other times out we usually use cloth unless I think I'll have to change him. At 22 mos, I don't have to change him very often, though. I also switched to mama cloth when AF resumed, and I'm THRILLED!!!! So much more comfortable.
For DC #2 I have a garbage bag full of carousel aio's (which are more like a lined cover) that my mom found at her thrift store and gave to me because she didn't think they'd sell. they should be the right size for NB and I plan to purchase Kissaluvs doublers and diapers to go inside. I definately want to try all cloth for this one. Well, except maybe for extended travel.

And, if DS's diapers sit for more than 1 week, the stench is unbearable, his pee is that potent.

computergeek2.gif  wife to bikenew.gif and momma to my intact boys headscratch.gif 06/19/06 and mischievous.gif 10/10/08 We delayed/selective vax; constantly wash.gif  always intactlact.gif

Niemals Gewalt
#41 of 52 Old 04-04-2008, 10:28 PM

chirp, the sheet flannel may well be adequate, just depends on the weight of it. My WAHM friend often uses quilting flannel instead of diaper and it's just as fabulous.

I doubt it's wasted money.
#42 of 52 Old 04-04-2008, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naomismom View Post
I pretty much use cloth all the time unless we are travelling for more than 2 days. I use prefolds 24/7 with a PUL cover during the day and a wool cover at night. I also use cloth wipes. They work so much better than disposables!
Same here, except my son is mostly potty trained now during the day so we mostly just use diapers at night now with wool longies.
#43 of 52 Old 04-04-2008, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatureMama3 View Post
have you stripped the dipes that are smelling? what kind are they? what fabric? and what kind of washer do you have? what detergent do you use? I'm plenty happy to help you trouble-shoot diaper issues!! nearly all have a solution.
Maybe you can help me.

Small smell issues, but red swollen, blistered penis issues with my Fuzzi Bunz, washed in Charlies w/ a front loader and soft water...?

Seems more bacterial, but I hesitate to bleach even though it works.

Heather: Mama to my amazing boys A-14.5, C-13, & M-5.5, and my sweet girl S-2.5 and introducing our little surprise Liam Michael, born 12/28!
#44 of 52 Old 04-04-2008, 10:35 PM

We cloth dipe as soon as stump & mec are gone, cloth wipe, cloth breastpads, but not cloth TP.

I use cloth when traveling AND camping, nothing like poop up the back of a baby and in the car seat when you are on the highway in Montana with nothing more than baby wipes to clean him. I learned my lesson when I took my road trip with a 4 month old baby from CO to WA. NEVER again.

Heather: Mama to my amazing boys A-14.5, C-13, & M-5.5, and my sweet girl S-2.5 and introducing our little surprise Liam Michael, born 12/28!
#45 of 52 Old 04-04-2008, 10:50 PM

Heather, front loader is part of the problem. It takes MUCH less detergent of any kind in those. 1/2-1 TB at most. Plus do an extra rinse on the end of them. Those cause more CD problems than any other method.

Also, it sounds a wee bit like yeast. You might try boiling the dipes to strip them and kill any yeast present.

The smell is leftover detergent residue that combines with the urine and bacteria to stink. bleach will kill the bacteria, but the dipes need to be stripped of the residue and then not have more residue put on them.

You might try Country Save, I know it has worked well for many in HE machines.
#46 of 52 Old 04-04-2008, 11:01 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Mamas, just a reminder--if you have specific questions, we have an awesome cloth diapering forum here.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#47 of 52 Old 04-04-2008, 11:28 PM

We use cloth for~ diapers, wipes, cleaning, mama cloth and breast pads.
Everything but TP. I'm not sure I could convince DH of that one...LOL
My little guy has just completely P. learned and is dry almost every night as well...but I still put him in a diaper at night just in case.
I use cloth while traveling and camping as well.
I absolutely hate sposie wipes...the smell makes me nauseous....
The only thing cloth I don't like using too much is the breast pads. I leak something fierce when nursing. Has anyone heard anything about Lily padz? Are they any good?

Crunchy Mama to 3 boys bikenew.gif'06  and superhero.gif '08  h20homebirth.gif  and  moon.gif '10  uc.jpg

And a brand new baby  babygirl.gif born 4/12 uc.jpg

joy.gifOur family is now complete  chicken3.gif

#48 of 52 Old 04-05-2008, 12:36 AM

I discovered cloth dipes when DS#1 was about 6 months old and he was in cloth unitl he potty learned at 3. My second was in cloth for awhile and I had such problems with stink that I gave up. I had one hell of a stash but I sold it off.

DH isn't so thrilled with the idea of my buying more - I spent a small fortune the first time around tying out different kinds and they Hyena in me came out. I don't even want to admit how much I spent of wool... I'm trying to convince him to let me start again with new diapers but we'll see. I think this time around I'm going for one kind, one brand and see how it goes.

I'm an AIO gal, though I do love wool - I just didn't like washing it.

I need to go over to the diapering forum and see what is good for nighttime, I think I'm going to get some Bum Genius for starters.

Mommy of 3 super charged kiddos
#49 of 52 Old 04-05-2008, 01:26 AM

His smell issues were from Dream-eze and the only time he really smelled was after night times. He smelled VERY ammonia-ie. I really want to buy him a set of Green Acres Designs. I haven't tried them but they are supposed to be really trim and they have some tractor ones I know ds would love. But they only go to like 35lbs and so I'm not sure how much wear we'd get out of them seeing as how he's almost 33 now.

I was told to use Nikky's wraps for new baby, but I see they change size increments at 4 lbs and thats just too much for a 17 dollar cover. Can anyone recommend a good cover that is not velcro that is good? I'm nervous about doing all prefolds but I think it'll be just fine for a new born.
#50 of 52 Old 04-05-2008, 03:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Aimee* View Post

I was told to use Nikky's wraps for new baby, but I see they change size increments at 4 lbs and thats just too much for a 17 dollar cover. Can anyone recommend a good cover that is not velcro that is good? I'm nervous about doing all prefolds but I think it'll be just fine for a new born.
I love the Little beetle wool covers(w/snaps) and they come in beautiful colours! They are very trim and the size one fits from 6-18 pds so you won't be needing too many sizes. My son wears the Little Beetle shorts(wool covers as well but not as fitted as the regular covers) and he's 23 pds and is still in the size S.

Oh and about the Dream Eze. We had the exact same problem with ours. They just stank. I had to strip them all the time and they would still knock a buffalo over at ten paces. It was awful. I found it was worse when he was teething as well. I've decided to sell off our Dream eze stash and get Lovey bums instead. Anyway, HTH, Julie

Crunchy Mama to 3 boys bikenew.gif'06  and superhero.gif '08  h20homebirth.gif  and  moon.gif '10  uc.jpg

And a brand new baby  babygirl.gif born 4/12 uc.jpg

joy.gifOur family is now complete  chicken3.gif

#51 of 52 Old 04-05-2008, 04:37 AM

This is my first, so I can't say for sure how it will be, but I plan to use cloth except for maybe extended travel and the first couple of weeks, depending on how quickly I recover to the point of wanting to do laundry or how much help I get.

I just checked my registry and thought the newborn size diapers had accidentally been deleted or something, even though I'd already received a few from a cousin, then discovered that one of my aunts bought me 25! I actually teared up when I realized it, because I never felt close to her growing up (she's married to one of my mother's brothers whom I don't really get along with), but in the last couple of years she's really been solidly in my corner, even though we have very different philosophies.
#52 of 52 Old 04-05-2008, 10:54 AM

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Ds2 kept getting rashes and impetigo, so I used chlorine bleach on all his diapers (FBs) and now they are wonderful with no more rashes or smell (they used to smell very strongly of urine.) Also no rashes even if grandma doesn't change him for hours and hours.

DS1 2004 ~ DS2 2005 ~ DD1 2008 ~ DS3 2010 ~ DD2 born at 31 weeks Oct. 2014

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page