Mothering Forum banner

What's the deal with the sex thing?

1K views 44 replies 18 participants last post by  zoeyzoo 
#1 ·
What is about sex that is supposed to encourage labor? Is it the actual penetration, i.e. pressure on the cervix? Or is it the uterine contractions caused by orgasm?

I thought I heard somebody say something about an ingredient in semen? If that's the case, I'm out of luck. (And slightly nauseous...
)

See less See more
#3 ·
I thought it was two things: uterine contractions from orgasm & prostaglandin in semen (they use prostaglandin pessaries to induce sometimes... but I'm assuming a bloke would have to produce a HECK of a lot of spunk for it to have a similar effect from semen, so I'm a bit dubious about that actually making any real difference)

#5 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by msjodi View Post
I thought I heard somebody say something about an ingredient in semen? If that's the case, I'm out of luck. (And slightly nauseous...
)
Jeez, it's not THAAAAAAT bad. Well, actually, semen is kind of icky. I'll give you that.

From what I've been told, the amount of labor-causing ingredients in semen are pretty negligible. The benefits of sex (solo or with a partner) are all about the relaxation and orgasm.

#6 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by NatureMama3 View Post
the semen (prostaglandins) and the contractions.
Yepp, this.

In fact I believe I heard that cervadil contains pig semen for the same effect. Although that seems to still be debatable in some circles. Some sites I've read said it's a synthetic comparable substance, others plain ol' pig semen.

#8 ·
I think there has to be something with the semen in my case because the past two nights after sex, I've been having some uncomfortable contractions that I've never had before with any other sexual act. They were like Braxton-Hicks, but beyond the tightening feeling, they were stronger with cramping pain, just like real labor contractions. They lasted about 30 seconds for about an hour.

#14 ·
I think for me a lot of it is my ability to relax. I think I have gotten close in this pregnancy but lack the energy or focus to really get there and I think dh has given up. I have some sexual molestation in my childhood.... and I think its caused some mental blocks. But I have about given up as well.

#16 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by gottecat View Post
I think for me a lot of it is my ability to relax. I think I have gotten close in this pregnancy but lack the energy or focus to really get there and I think dh has given up. I have some sexual molestation in my childhood.... and I think its caused some mental blocks. But I have about given up as well.
Ah, crap. My bff has similar experience which caused blocks for her as well.

I don't know if you tried on your own? Take it real slow, like take your time and make sure you have privacy and are not in a hurry, and I wouldn't worry about actually orgasming, I would assume that will come at some point (like not today kind of thing) but maybe focus on exploring what feels good to your body, yk?

Pregnancy can be a good or bad time for orgasming I notice from what different women say, depending on your body. Some women have a harder time orgasming. I know for me I have an easier time and it's much more intense than usual... so it might be a good idea to explore now, but it also might not 'work' as well depending on what your body is like in pregnancy.

#18 ·
Quote:

we tried a vibrator thing and it was just awkward for me.. but i think if we tried again now it may not be who knows lol.
When you say we, do you mean you and your partner? Would your partner be up for letting you have a go on your own? Sometimes feeling "watched" can inhibit you when you're exploring.

#19 ·
I dunno its just not that big of a deal to me. and I would much rather he figured it out lol. It would be alot more satisfying for both of us that way.... but he just doesnt even try anymore. or he will just repeat the things I have told him just dont work for me. grr I just try not to think about it as it is just very frustrating.

#20 ·
Quote:

I dunno its just not that big of a deal to me. and I would much rather he figured it out lol.
Maybe think of masturbation like learning about anything else. The more you know, the more you can talk about it, and help him to find those spots that make you purrr! If you know what you like it's a lot easier to guide

#21 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by kalisage View Post
Maybe think of masturbation like learning about anything else. The more you know, the more you can talk about it, and help him to find those spots that make you purrr! If you know what you like it's a lot easier to guide

Yeah, I find that too. Figuring out my own body lets me then better direct my partners, yk? (Not that they exactly abound lately, but in theory, anyway.
) There are two reasons for that I think, one is that I'm less inhibited and more relaxed when i don't have a concern about 'performing' for anyone or boosting their egos by providing some kind of positive response to what they are doing, meeting some goal of orgasming so they feel good about themselves as lovers, which I can get caught up in with partner sex. The other thing is that they don't have the direct feedback loop I do, like I do something and I know if it feels good, bad, or neutral immediately, without having to articulate it in words, so I can pick up many more nuances myself than I could ever communicate to someone else, yk?

#24 ·
Quote:

But I am not comfortable with the whole by myself thing... Thanks for trying to help though. I am just broken.
Aww!! You're not broken. Maybe now is not the time, or if you really do feel better with your partner I think you should definitely go with that. This might be helpful: http://www.whitelotuseast.com/YoniMassage.htm I would contract with him that he will touch you in ways you feel comfortable and tell him what you don't like, there is no expected outcome, that your only goal is to relax and enjoy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.