OT- nursing bras - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 30 Old 05-08-2008, 12:11 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Whats your favorite and where did you buy it/how much did it cost?

Jeanna, proud mama to 3 sweet girls!
#2 of 30 Old 05-08-2008, 12:19 AM

Motherhood sleep bra, something like $7

With that said I SERIOUSLY need a nursing bra that I can wear in public without my breasts dragging on the ground behind me. I am just not sure what size to get yet!

Heather: Mama to my amazing boys A-14.5, C-13, & M-5.5, and my sweet girl S-2.5 and introducing our little surprise Liam Michael, born 12/28!
#3 of 30 Old 05-08-2008, 12:37 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I think nursing bras are pointless, and too expensive. I just use a nice softcup and pull the cups up to nurse. I have giant boobs and love the cotton/lycra softcups from Lane Bryant/Cacique. They go up to a DDD and they don't give me uniboob. $24 or two for $36. http://www.lanebryant.com/pagebuilde...239&pagesize=3

They also sell a Goddess nursing bra there, FWIW.

DS1 2004 ~ DS2 2005 ~ DD1 2008 ~ DS3 2010 ~ DD2 due Dec. 2014
#4 of 30 Old 05-08-2008, 02:28 AM

I also have two Lane Bryant/Cacique underwire bras that are demi cup that I can pull down to nurse. That said, I just bought my first Bravado full figure plus (I am like a 40G, but the LB 40DDD fit me well), and will hopefully have that soon. I cannot stand to have an unsupportive bra. They drive me insane. I did a softcup that I can wear at night and for my waterbirth, and actually altered it a bit so it would fit better.

I hate bra shopping.

Amy
#5 of 30 Old 05-08-2008, 02:35 AM

Somewhere on MDC I found a recommendation for these (not meant for nursing, but the poster said they worked great for her).

They're pretty cheap, and they look comfy. I think I'm going to give them a try. I have very small breasts to start out with, so I think it'll work well for my needs.
#6 of 30 Old 05-08-2008, 04:56 AM

I prefer a regular bra, too (even underwire). The soft ones are waaay more comfy, but I just can't find a good one (nursing ones included) that is thick enough that my nipples aren't out there for everyone to see right after a nursing session (even under nursing pads...with my Lily Padz it's not a problem but I don't start wearing those until a while after establishing my supply).

Me (27) DH (30)...9 Years

DD (7) ~ DD (4) ~ DS (3)

Praying our April 2013 baby sticks!! joy.gif

Babies in Heaven...angel.gif 9/04 angel.gif 2/05 angel.gif 3/11 angel.gif 4/11 angel.gif 6/11 angel.gif 11/11 angel.gif 2/12 (along with my tube greensad.gif )

#7 of 30 Old 05-08-2008, 08:26 AM

I have a few nursing bra tank-tops, and my favorite is my bravado(s) - which are now 10 yrs old & still in great shape!

ETA: umm, forgot to say target ones about $15, bravado cost about $35
#8 of 30 Old 05-08-2008, 08:41 AM

Goddess I get mine through bra shops, but you can get them online too (and probably even save money). I'd still get fitted at a proper bra shop though. YOu can find those in the yellow pages under "mastectomy supplies".
#9 of 30 Old 05-08-2008, 08:58 AM

I just bought two of these: http://www.bravadodesigns.com/product.asp?ID=109 (If that doesn't come up it's the Body Silk Seamless Nursing Bra from Bravado) and I LOVE them. Unfortunately they were $45 each at my local maternity shop. I've been meaning to see if I could find a few more for less online, but haven't made the time to research yet.

Last time around I bought some cotton bras from JcPenney's that were about half the price and very comfortable, but they weren't seamless, so you could see the lines under t-shirts (not really a problem for the winter when I was wearing them, but annoying for the summer) plus I like having the extra coverage/pad option inside the Bravado one so you're not seeing nipple through my shirts (again a bigger summer problem).

FWIW I only wore nursing bras with dd for the first 9 mos or so...after that I was nursing a bit less and went back to my "normal" bras, but I found them indispensible for the first 9 mos or so.
#10 of 30 Old 05-08-2008, 09:59 AM

I got a $14 nursing sports bra at the Motherhood and it is much better than the more expensive underwires I've chosen. That said everyone has their own preferences about bras.

Breeder Mama: = wife to an amazing man + mama to J-Bear (07/02) and E-Train (06/08), nanny to Little Bird (07/10).

#11 of 30 Old 05-08-2008, 12:45 PM

I have heard that underwire bras effect milk production. I always wear them but for last nursing bra I avoided, and I can't say I have found any that give same lift and hold.
I am checking out what everyone else is using cause I need to get new ones.. and I hate the prices.

http://susanchegari.vibrantscents.com/

#12 of 30 Old 05-08-2008, 12:47 PM

fwiw, my Goddess bras (not underwire) last 2-3 years easily. longer if I didn't dry them in a dryer.
#13 of 30 Old 05-08-2008, 12:50 PM

I am wearing nursing tanks now and my maternity bra tanks pulled down. I need to get a bra but I haven't gotten around to it.

Mom of 3 sons and one daughter
#14 of 30 Old 05-08-2008, 01:33 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeannabna View Post
Whats your favorite and where did you buy it/how much did it cost?
I have rather *cough* large breasts so finding bras that work for me is a pain anyway. I have ordered all of my nursing bras from: http://www.bravissimo.com/Default.aspx It's a company from England. Due to the difference between dollars and pounds they aren't cheap, (ranging from $45-$75ish dollars) but when you wear an E cup it's hard to find bras that fit and do anything for less money. This is the only company I have found that sells E cups that don't look like lunchlady bras. I may be a mom, but I'm not boring and 60.

They have a delightful return policy for figuring out size. They will cheerfully do back and forth with you as many times as necessary to figure out what your size really is. They have good instructions on their website for how a bra should fit and once you get a properly fitting bra it just isn't worthwhile to go back to improperly fitting bras.

My advice may not be appropriate for you. That's ok. You are just fine how you are and I am the right kind of me.

#15 of 30 Old 05-08-2008, 01:56 PM

I had a couple from Thyme Maternity (Canadian chain) when I was nursing DD that I really liked. They were spendy but worth it. I swore I gave them to my sister to use but she claims she doesn't have them and I can't find them anywhere now. So I need to get a couple new ones again -- I do have the Motherhood sleep one along with a GM nursing tank. I'm looking at the same Bravado ones joyfilledmama linked to as they're carried by a maternity boutique here in town and I've read/heard alot of good things about them, so they should be worth the $$$.

I really want to get this pretty one from VS but they're not carried in store (checked last time I was in the States) and shipping to Canada is spendy plus I just *know* I'll get nailed on customs and duty. Maybe I'll ship it to my SIL in ND and have her bring it up.

Mama to my 3 wild things.

#16 of 30 Old 05-08-2008, 02:22 PM

When I was nursing DS, I had a nursing bra from Wal Mart and one from Target.....they were the only ones I could find that were inexpensive, comfortable, and my size. I'm temporarily still using them, but I'm in search of some new ones because my breasts have grown a bit more. I'm thinking I may have to go check out Motherhood or some of the other stores because I'm not having any luck finding inexpensive ones in my size this time around that are also comfy.
#17 of 30 Old 05-08-2008, 02:24 PM

i like the playtex nursing bras. the bra closure for nursing part is my favorite closure.

can't find them anywhere anymore and my bras are seriously falling apart. . . (been nursing and/or pregnant since 2003 . . .)

bettyann
#18 of 30 Old 05-08-2008, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyfrog View Post
i like the playtex nursing bras. the bra closure for nursing part is my favorite closure.

can't find them anywhere anymore and my bras are seriously falling apart. . . (been nursing and/or pregnant since 2003 . . .)

bettyann
Seems like K-Mart was where I saw Playtes nursing bras -- but that was a couple pregnancies ago.

Amy
#19 of 30 Old 05-08-2008, 04:46 PM

I like the target tank ones because if i pull my shirt up to nurse my stomach and everything is still covered out in public. I think they are about $15-20 and i lived in them for 18 months. They come in black, white and grey.
#20 of 30 Old 05-09-2008, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabbyquilts View Post
I like the target tank ones because if i pull my shirt up to nurse my stomach and everything is still covered out in public. I think they are about $15-20 and i lived in them for 18 months. They come in black, white and grey.
When I was down in Fargo in March, I went to Target to get a couple of those nursing tanks and I could not find them anywhere! Of course, I couldn't find anyone around the dept. or surrounding depts to help me. My SIL had the same problem at the SuperT in GF b/c she wanted to get a couple for herself also.

I did buy a Bravado Silk Seamless nursing bra today. OMG, most comfortable bra ever! I think I'm going to start wearing it as my bra now. Definitely worth the $50!

Mama to my 3 wild things.

#21 of 30 Old 05-09-2008, 08:12 PM

(still preg) but wearing my sport bra's from walmart...which have too thin of straps and are stretching out...so, I am gonna have to splurge and get some more. I like the tank idea from target...if I can find some long enough. I hate buying tanks that creep up my belly and try to make themselves into bras lol...which all mine do atm cause of the preggie belly.
#22 of 30 Old 05-09-2008, 09:16 PM

I went to target today and picked up 3 nursing tanks and a nursing bra. They are really nice and only about $16 each.

Mom of 3 sons and one daughter
#23 of 30 Old 05-09-2008, 10:15 PM

Wooohooo! I just found we have a local breastfeeding store where I can get an actual fitting for a nice bra. I am so sick of motherhood's bras which just are not supportive and I was very hesitant to buy online.

Now, when is the best time to get a bra??

Heather: Mama to my amazing boys A-14.5, C-13, & M-5.5, and my sweet girl S-2.5 and introducing our little surprise Liam Michael, born 12/28!
#24 of 30 Old 05-10-2008, 12:59 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarchWillow View Post
I like the tank idea from target...if I can find some long enough. I hate buying tanks that creep up my belly and try to make themselves into bras lol...which all mine do atm cause of the preggie belly.
Good luck with the target tanks then! Im a big girl but I bought a XXL last time I was nursing and it was very short and pretty tight for a XXL imo. I need another brand of nursing tank thats longer at the very least.

Jeanna, proud mama to 3 sweet girls!
#25 of 30 Old 05-10-2008, 01:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeannabna View Post
Good luck with the target tanks then! Im a big girl but I bought a XXL last time I was nursing and it was very short and pretty tight for a XXL imo. I need another brand of nursing tank thats longer at the very least.
I got an XXL myself, I am a size 22/24 top when I am not pregnant and I am REALLY hoping it works.

#26 of 30 Old 05-10-2008, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumnerRain View Post
Wooohooo! I just found we have a local breastfeeding store where I can get an actual fitting for a nice bra. I am so sick of motherhood's bras which just are not supportive and I was very hesitant to buy online.

Now, when is the best time to get a bra??
Bosom Buddies in Denver is where I got mine in the past. They are down the street from Park Meadows mall and are awesome!

Anne, Mama to Conner 2/27/04 blahblah.gif  Gabrielle 2/6/06 W/LMC-TCS, Neurogenic Bladder, AFO & KAFO wearer, Neurogenic Bowel energy.gif & Delaney 5/12/08 mischievous.gif &  Beethoven cat.gif& Gizmo cat.gif

#27 of 30 Old 05-10-2008, 08:44 AM

I can't afford a nursing bra right now. I am not sure what I am going to do when my milk comes in. I have my sleep bra but it doesn't offer an real support. I will have to wear though for a month or so till I can afford something. Otherwise I will have to go braless somehow put nursing pads in my shirt. It will be interesting because I last measured as 44H's.

Anne, Mama to Conner 2/27/04 blahblah.gif  Gabrielle 2/6/06 W/LMC-TCS, Neurogenic Bladder, AFO & KAFO wearer, Neurogenic Bowel energy.gif & Delaney 5/12/08 mischievous.gif &  Beethoven cat.gif& Gizmo cat.gif

#28 of 30 Old 05-10-2008, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatWrangler View Post
Bosom Buddies in Denver is where I got mine in the past. They are down the street from Park Meadows mall and are awesome!
Bosom Buddies is awesome! I wish we were still in Colorado and I could go back there. Imagine: a whole store filled with bras arranged by SIZE (not style) with people who just keep bringing you more to try. AND they knew which ones run small/large and which ones you should try in a different size when one didn't work. Wow, I wish I knew of another bra store like it.
#29 of 30 Old 05-10-2008, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMolly View Post
Bosom Buddies is awesome! I wish we were still in Colorado and I could go back there. Imagine: a whole store filled with bras arranged by SIZE (not style) with people who just keep bringing you more to try. AND they knew which ones run small/large and which ones you should try in a different size when one didn't work. Wow, I wish I knew of another bra store like it.
I am in the Springs, and we have a place called Alliance Breastfeeding Center at the north part of town. I have not been there yet, but it looks like a neat store.

http://nursingzone.com/alliance/index.html

#30 of 30 Old 05-10-2008, 04:44 PM

I just got my Supreme Bravado bra in the mail (I bought it from breakout bras), and I have to say it is the most comfortable and supportive non-underwire bra I've ever had. I am really picky about support, because I wear a 40 G/H when nursing, and I can't stand bounce or sag. This one is awesome and worth the $45. I'm thinking about getting another one.

Amy

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page