Dilation/effacement/station... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-13-2008, 06:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What does it really mean? Last week I was fingertip dilated. Today I'm 1cm, 50% effaced and -2 station.

With my first I was 3cm for 3 weeks so the fact that I'm 1 cm now doesn't mean much to me, but I thought I read somewhere that after your first pregnancy the effacement matters more than dilation as to where you are in the process of getting ready for labor. Anyone heard of that?

Yes, this is my third pregnancy and I'm still clueless is some regards

Mommy of 3 super charged kiddos
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2008, 06:41 PM

Maybe Im being pissy but to me it means crap. Idk why they even bother with that painful damn exam. i see the logic somewhat during actual labor, to be able to tell if someone is "stalled" out. But otherwise it seems silly to me. my mw did one the other day on me so she could have an exam to compare to next week as we are considering herbal induction. If he's not making any progress on his own towards coming out then it's less likely the herbs will work. Today I keep thinking why'd I consent to that crap? If he's ready in a week then the herbs will work regardless of what the stupid exam says. If he's not then it won't and we could just save my vagina the slap in the face of having your hand up there for a stupid seemingly pointless exam....I mean hell, sex hurts at this point, who's idea was it to shove a whole hand up there too? : Have I said stupid and crap enough?

*sigh* sorry...I guess I am still struggling with this question myself lol.
Old 05-13-2008, 06:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarchWillow View Post
Maybe Im being pissy but to me it means crap. Idk why they even bother with that painful damn exam. i see the logic somewhat during actual labor, to be able to tell if someone is "stalled" out. But otherwise it seems silly to me. my mw did one the other day on me so she could have an exam to compare to next week as we are considering herbal induction. If he's not making any progress on his own towards coming out then it's less likely the herbs will work. Today I keep thinking why'd I consent to that crap? If he's ready in a week then the herbs will work regardless of what the stupid exam says. If he's not then it won't and we could just save my vagina the slap in the face of having your hand up there for a stupid seemingly pointless exam....I mean hell, sex hurts at this point, who's idea was it to shove a whole hand up there too? : Have I said stupid and crap enough?

*sigh* sorry...I guess I am still struggling with this question myself lol.
Don't be sorry at all! I was wondering the same thing myself, I mean if you're not in active labor does it really matter?

Thankfully the VE wasn't bad, it didn't hurt at all.

and : coming your way. I hope it happens soon for you!

Old 05-13-2008, 06:56 PM

Usually effacement happens before (or at least faster than) dilation in first time pregnancies, so I'm assuming that's what you're talking about, since it'll just take longer in subsequent ones. *My* reasoning for that is because engagement plays such a huge part in helping the cervix to efface and since it doesn't happen as early on after the first pregnancy, effacement won't start happening as early, if that makes sense. And it seems to be ringing true in my case. My baby is about at a 0 station finally (even though s/he has been SO low for the entire time) and my cervix has done a TON more softening since, and while I haven't dilated much more I HAVE effaced more and am a lot stretchier.

When I check MYSELF (not someone else doing it)...it's interesting to see how far my body has come judging on what I know I've felt happening, what HASN'T happened, what I've done differently, etc. When someone else doing it it means them giving unsolicited guesses on when the baby will come, generally earlier rather than later, and it messes with my mind and I end up hating them for the rest of my life.

Me (27) DH (30)...9 Years

DD (7) ~ DD (4) ~ DS (3)

Praying our April 2013 baby sticks!! joy.gif

Babies in Heaven...angel.gif 9/04 angel.gif 2/05 angel.gif 3/11 angel.gif 4/11 angel.gif 6/11 angel.gif 11/11 angel.gif 2/12 (along with my tube greensad.gif )

Old 05-13-2008, 08:21 PM

My understanding is that effacement is less important in subsequent births. I thought I'd read that first-time moms won't dilate (or dilate as much) until they are fully effaced. But second+ time moms can dilate even without being effaced, or effaced very much. I had a thread a while back asking a question to those who check their own cervix, and Christine posted a link to a diagram that I think would support this idea. But I can't find the thread (I HATE the MDC search function .

Anyway, I guess what I'm trying to say is that, to the best of my knowledge, the amount you're effaced is not very important if you're a second+ time mom.

Mama to M (7/05) and S (5/08) my surprise !!!
Old 05-13-2008, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanana View Post
My understanding is that effacement is less important in subsequent births. I thought I'd read that first-time moms won't dilate (or dilate as much) until they are fully effaced. But second+ time moms can dilate even without being effaced, or effaced very much. I had a thread a while back asking a question to those who check their own cervix, and Christine posted a link to a diagram that I think would support this idea. But I can't find the thread (I HATE the MDC search function .

Anyway, I guess what I'm trying to say is that, to the best of my knowledge, the amount you're effaced is not very important if you're a second+ time mom.
Yay, I'm glad you said that! It sorta agrees with my theory, but it makes me really happy because while I'm about 3 cm still, I've been slow to efface this time, and to hear it may not be as important just makes my day. I was getting frustrated, even though I know it means essentially nothing at this point.

Me (27) DH (30)...9 Years

DD (7) ~ DD (4) ~ DS (3)

Praying our April 2013 baby sticks!! joy.gif

Babies in Heaven...angel.gif 9/04 angel.gif 2/05 angel.gif 3/11 angel.gif 4/11 angel.gif 6/11 angel.gif 11/11 angel.gif 2/12 (along with my tube greensad.gif )

Old 05-13-2008, 09:49 PM

Old 05-13-2008, 09:50 PM

I agree it doesn't really mean much. I mean, you can be dilated and effaced for weeks and not have a baby ... just as you can be fulled closed and have a baby very soon.

We never knew my dilatation or effacement with my first pregnancy - the exams were too painful and the docs could never really find my cervix. We did find out at my last appointment, just 4 days before I had DS, that he was at zero station.

I had planned to decline cervical checks this time around, but I've been so curious ... and thankfully they have not hurt one bit. I found out I am nearly fully effaced and a few cm dilated and head is at -1 station. I've been there for two weeks now (will be checked again at my appt on Friday).

According to my OB, you gals are right: effacement doesn't matter much. It's very common for subsequent pregnancies for moms to efface early.

I think that the head's station does matter some, moreso if it's at zero station. To me, that means baby is coming soon.
Old 05-13-2008, 10:11 PM

My dsl is out at the moment but I remember a really cool animated video clip that was linked to in the Birth Professionals forum. It showed the baby being born and marked the stations. It was neat. Maybe a search would pull it up in that forum.

I can't stand the slow loading times so I am not searching!

"To err is human, to forgive, canine." - Unknown
Old 05-13-2008, 10:36 PM

Here is a cool little video.....

http://www.visibleproductions.com/sh...edlegal_3.html
Old 05-13-2008, 10:40 PM

Here is an animation of the stations: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ze53Ep-gwBQ

Here is an animation of birth:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xath6kOf0NE

Heather: Mama to my amazing boys A-14.5, C-13, & M-5.5, and my sweet girl S-2.5 and introducing our little surprise Liam Michael, born 12/28!
Old 05-13-2008, 10:41 PM - Thread Starter

See, I do need help because I had it backwards!

Thanks everyone!

Old 05-13-2008, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merry-mary View Post
I agree it doesn't really mean much. I mean, you can be dilated and effaced for weeks and not have a baby ... just as you can be fulled closed and have a baby very soon.
:
Old 05-14-2008, 05:28 AM

omg I watched those video's...and now I rehealllly wanna have my baby in my arms....so sweet....

I know totally off topic :P

User Tag List