~~Postpartum check-in: 5/18-5/25~~ - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 67 Old 05-25-2008, 12:59 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks all... I really need the support right now and appreciate it...

Shauna: I think I will feel better once we see a substained weight rise over time. Like I said my older LO grew in length faster than weight, but it is still hard for me. Sagan is gaining, but just not as fast as "other" babies. Plus he does like to sleep, also happened with my 1st, but my first had jaundice and Sagan has had NO jaundice at all so I am assuming he likes to sleep, but I wake him to feed anyway. I am happy that when I wake him he seems to like to nurse unlike his brother...

We are thinking about getting a swing... I know that is horrible, but Sagan just has such a hard time getting to sleep (once he is there he will sleep) and we are wearing out big time over here, even with my DH home 24/7 we are both walking zombies...

One other question: I can not get Sagan to sleep, all he ever wants to do with me is nurse, even after nursing for say about 30 mins and gulping down BM then several burps, he still just roots around on me. However when my DH takes him and walks him he calms down and will snore in his arms... Is this normal? Do you think he is still hungry? My DH says he think he is not hungry, but just smells the milk and will always want more, but if I need a break I should not feel bad...

Thanks Again!
Steph
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 of 67 Old 05-25-2008, 12:57 PM

Hi mommies..just checking in while my punkin is sleeping (and I should be working...bahhhh).

We are doing okay here...still working on the jaundice and trying to keep billi levels down and keep from going to the hospital...after threatening to have me release them as pediatricians...and me saying whatever and doing what I thought was best (lots of magic milk and sun) and 3 days of heel sticks and blood tests, his levels went down everyday and they got off my back and said I did not even need to bother with the home health billi lights and to just keep doing what I am doing. Sigh...so we are nursing every 2 hours or so...he gets up on his own for it. Some times he will sleep for 3-3.5 hrs and I will wake him cuz my boobies are super full and other times he once to nurse back to back to back...oh my...but I know it is for good so we just gotta go with it.

Still super sore at initial latch on...OMG I cringe and feel like I wanna put him in a headlock!! then I just have to make a concious effort to breathe deeply and get relaxed and just look at him and know that this too shall pass. My right nipple is cracked and trying to heal so it is especially tender. I hesitate when it is time to feed on that side...and of course that is the side he wants to feed, bite, pull off and start over again on...I will be glad when that heals and when the sensitivity goes away...even my shirt against my boobs is annoying...but I am staying with my mom for my recovery period and cant walk around naked. At night I do topless so they can get some air...but then I start pouring rain

Oh well...that's what's new with us.

Have we figured out what was our plan for when they give us the boot? We all started dropping loads and that conversation got lost in space...lol.

Almost crunchy but sometimes soggy, homeschooling mommy of 2. biggrinbounce.gif

I work from home and love showing others how to do it too!

http://www.empoweredhomeschooler.com  computergeek2.gif

#63 of 67 Old 05-25-2008, 01:42 PM

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by StephNelson View Post
Thanks all... I really need the support right now and appreciate it...

Shauna: I think I will feel better once we see a substained weight rise over time. Like I said my older LO grew in length faster than weight, but it is still hard for me. Sagan is gaining, but just not as fast as "other" babies. Plus he does like to sleep, also happened with my 1st, but my first had jaundice and Sagan has had NO jaundice at all so I am assuming he likes to sleep, but I wake him to feed anyway. I am happy that when I wake him he seems to like to nurse unlike his brother...

We are thinking about getting a swing... I know that is horrible, but Sagan just has such a hard time getting to sleep (once he is there he will sleep) and we are wearing out big time over here, even with my DH home 24/7 we are both walking zombies...

One other question: I can not get Sagan to sleep, all he ever wants to do with me is nurse, even after nursing for say about 30 mins and gulping down BM then several burps, he still just roots around on me. However when my DH takes him and walks him he calms down and will snore in his arms... Is this normal? Do you think he is still hungry? My DH says he think he is not hungry, but just smells the milk and will always want more, but if I need a break I should not feel bad...

Thanks Again!
Steph
We have always had a swing and I don't think they are horrible. If you left your baby in there all day, that would be horrible. But we put all our kids in a swing for short periods of time (eat a meal, take a shower, etc.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by trinimommy View Post
Hi mommies..just checking in while my punkin is sleeping (and I should be working...bahhhh).

We are doing okay here...still working on the jaundice and trying to keep billi levels down and keep from going to the hospital...after threatening to have me release them as pediatricians...and me saying whatever and doing what I thought was best (lots of magic milk and sun) and 3 days of heel sticks and blood tests, his levels went down everyday and they got off my back and said I did not even need to bother with the home health billi lights and to just keep doing what I am doing. Sigh...so we are nursing every 2 hours or so...he gets up on his own for it. Some times he will sleep for 3-3.5 hrs and I will wake him cuz my boobies are super full and other times he once to nurse back to back to back...oh my...but I know it is for good so we just gotta go with it.

Still super sore at initial latch on...OMG I cringe and feel like I wanna put him in a headlock!! then I just have to make a concious effort to breathe deeply and get relaxed and just look at him and know that this too shall pass. My right nipple is cracked and trying to heal so it is especially tender. I hesitate when it is time to feed on that side...and of course that is the side he wants to feed, bite, pull off and start over again on...I will be glad when that heals and when the sensitivity goes away...even my shirt against my boobs is annoying...but I am staying with my mom for my recovery period and cant walk around naked. At night I do topless so they can get some air...but then I start pouring rain

Oh well...that's what's new with us.

Have we figured out what was our plan for when they give us the boot? We all started dropping loads and that conversation got lost in space...lol.
This happened to my nipple and I put lanolin on constantly and used those gel soothing nipple pads. It has to be moist healing so it doesn't get crusty.

DS1 2004 ~ DS2 2005 ~ DD1 2008 ~ DS3 2010 ~ DD2 born at 31 weeks Oct. 2014
#64 of 67 Old 05-25-2008, 02:23 PM

Steph, get the swing. Like Galatea said, it's not a bad thing if it isn't abused. We have one, and it's great to be able to set Sophie down for a few minutes in a safe and comfy place when I need to be able to do so. And I'm hoping it's a place where I can put her to fall asleep from time to time as needed.

As for the nursing while not hungry, I can only share my experience. DD1 was NOT like this at all. She would not nurse if she wasn't hungry. Sophie, OTOH, will do this, but it seems to be when she's uncomfortable or in pain from gas or reflux. I try to limit it in those situations because I feel like continuing to put milk into her system will only make things worse, especially with the reflux. So I bounce her on the birth ball when I think she's just looking to comfort nurse. I figure if she is truly still hungry, she will let me know. Another thing I'll do is offer my pinky finger for her to suck on.

My feeling is that a hungry baby would NOT be soothed by dh walking him around, so I would not feel bad about doing this when you need a break .

Trini, glad to hear the jaundice is going down. Hope the nipple pain eases up for you soon .

We're doing okay. I've realized that timing the slippery elm doses is really critical. If I don't get them into her in between feedings, we're in for a world of hurt. We're managing, though. Nights still aren't that great. She sleeps pretty good but is still really wiggly and if I don't stay on top of burping her and getting the slippery elm into her every 4 hours (and between feedings -- this is a real challenge at night since I'm not always awake at the right time, and other times it has been 4 hours but she's hungry or just ate recently, etc. ... it is such a pita!!!), then we have reflux episodes. I was reminding myself today that this will not last for long, though. We just need to get through these early days and things will settle down and I think our nights will go really well then because she is a power sleeper!

So, just hanging on and doing as best I can. Trying to get some laundry and cleaning done around the house today. It's a mess!

Mama to M (7/05) and S (5/08) my surprise !!!
#65 of 67 Old 05-25-2008, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galatea View Post
We have always had a swing and I don't think they are horrible. If you left your baby in there all day, that would be horrible. But we put all our kids in a swing for short periods of time (eat a meal, take a shower, etc.)

This happened to my nipple and I put lanolin on constantly and used those gel soothing nipple pads. It has to be moist healing so it doesn't get crusty.
I had a lanisoh sample and was using it but it is now done and I have been told not to drove till after my 2 week check up so it is dificult for e to get to the store...I am wondering if Aloe on it will be any good...of course I will have to wash it off before feeding unlike the lanisoh...but will it help?

Any ideas?

Almost crunchy but sometimes soggy, homeschooling mommy of 2. biggrinbounce.gif

I work from home and love showing others how to do it too!

http://www.empoweredhomeschooler.com  computergeek2.gif

#66 of 67 Old 05-25-2008, 03:29 PM

nak...
Steph, swings are not horrible. Just another tool to use All of mine have comfort nursed so if ur LO will just fall asleep with dad, I'd say go for it!

trini, try air drying your nips as much as you can. express some milk and rub into your nips then let dry. aloe could work, but you will have to wash every feeding, which could lead to drying and cracking - so try air drying, and when you can lanisoh
#67 of 67 Old 05-25-2008, 03:50 PM

I guess I can post here now. T is 3 days old, unreal. Wasn't it just a week ago that it seemed like he would never come?? I am sore (stitches - after waiting for my midwife to get here before pushing-because of my husbands threat to call 911 if the midwife wasnt going to make it- I had a hard time doing any controlled pushing to get him out slowly & re-tore where I tore with my daughter) and we're staying in bed and it's wonderful. I got a little taste of the baby blues yesterday but so far today has been good. I miss my daughter, she chose to spend the night with my mom last night and the night before. I know she gets a lot of attention over there and shes really craving that right now and daddy is exhausted so I'm trying to be okay with it. But I need some ari-cuddle-time!

Everything is like textbook perfect otherwise. Milk is in, baby is nursing, diapers are great, bleeding is light. I'm exhausted :P

My husband got my laptop working so I have more photos, I'll post them with the birth story. Everyone is going out today except Tob and I (the older boys & daddy are going to see the Indiana Jones movie and the little ones are playing at grandmas) so I should be able to get that done today. While it's still fresh in my mind ; )

aisling

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page