~Postpartum Check-in: 6/8-614~ - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 125 Old 06-08-2008, 08:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thought I'd start us off with a new thread.

Have been doing the block feeding for two days. Gassiness is going down, and green hue is gone from poops. I've started dragging the co-sleeper into the master bath at night () so I can sleep better, so I'm not exactly sure how much she is still thrashing around. But she seems much better when she wakes to nurse. Is still gassy, but isn't crying, bearing down hard, writhing around, etc. So, it's improving at least. I'm still paranoid about my supply, though. Not sure why, as it has never been an issue. Am friends with a LLL leader, and am going to call her to talk over my concerns and see what she has to say.

Mama to M (7/05) and S (5/08) my surprise !!!
#2 of 125 Old 06-08-2008, 08:48 PM

Hello all!

Madilynn is 6 weeks old today (sunday) and all I can say is WOW time is FLYING by!!!! I just cannot believe she is that old already!! Sniff*

She is doing great- she is a noisy baby- noisy because she grunts, groans, growls, snorts and any other weird sound she can come up with- she does this ALOT..lol! She loves to grunt around when she is stretching especially... it is really LOUD and really funny to listen to her!

My hubby and I love to wake up with her every morning in our bed.. she woke up before me this morning and was just playing next to me- smiling and cooing and trying to wake me up with her silly little babbles so I would play with her...haha! When I did wake up from her kicking at me she just busted out the biggest smile I have ever seen....it was AWESOME!

I am doing great too- go for my postpartum checkup the big 6 week one soon...that will be fun...NOT!

Overall - life is great...well....maybe not totally with 6 other kids running around and fussing...but 99% great...lol!

Kellina~ Wife & Christian SAHomeschooling Mama-to 8 GREAT children!   

brokenheart.gif *Missing my 6 m/c babies in the arms of Jesus* brokenheart.gif

#3 of 125 Old 06-08-2008, 08:56 PM

quoting myself from my last post:

Quote:
I keep a flannel blanket nearby for the non-nursed breast. I've gotten to the spraying stage.

Seren, I am still in tons of pain. Not so much my tear (apparently I'm really lucky to have had a doc who sewed it up well!) but my hips, pelvis, lower back and pubic bone.

wow! I can't believe she's not returning your calls! Do you have a regular OB you can see about it? that sounds painful! I'd probably want it dealt with sooner rather than later, personally speaking. get all the healing over with at once KWIM?
Shanana, glad the block feeding seems to be helping. It took a few days, but seems to have really improved things for us. My LLL Leader friend is who told me about block feeding. Not sure if I said before or not but I generally only do it for 2-3 hours, not 6 as one on your b/f post said she did. I think that helps keep the supply up. mine certainly isn't hurting!

Kellina, Enoch is a noisy bird too. we're trying to learn how to ignore the grunting at night.
#4 of 125 Old 06-08-2008, 09:06 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Sounds like you and Sophia are doing well!

Raeleigh is getting way too big way too fast! Pretty sure this is my last baby and I want her to stay little as long as possible.

She's doing great. Nursing like a pro and really starting to look at people. Shes tracking great! Wiggliest little thing ever! Everyone who holds her comments on how she does stop wiggling.

I'm doing good too. Finally think the bleeding has completely stopped now. Just a little left overs. I see the midwife on the 19th for my 6 week check up. I can't belive it! DH is ready to go in and get clipped, but I"m not sure yet. I may look into an IUD and see about that. It's not as final.

We leave Friday for my inlaws house and the POOLLLLL... I am so excited to jump in! Can't wait to get the boys in too!

Hope everyone else is doing great!
#5 of 125 Old 06-08-2008, 09:10 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatureMama3 View Post
Seren, I am still in tons of pain. Not so much my tear (apparently I'm really lucky to have had a doc who sewed it up well!) but my hips, pelvis, lower back and pubic bone.
Do you see the chiro? I was hurting on and off after birth and finally got in to see mine and it was great!! She fixed it perfectly! I am seeing her once a week right now till my body stops moving on it's own..lol

Best of luck!
#6 of 125 Old 06-08-2008, 10:10 PM

Doing ok here. I'm still hurts when I nurse and I have blisters. We're seeing an LC tomorrow to see if it's his latch. We have good days and bad days with him being gassy too, so I'm going to ask about block feeding. I haven't cut dairy, but I'm avoiding milk and cheese. I had cheese this morning and tonight he's incredibly fussy, he also just projectile vomited. I don't know if it's coincidence or not.

Going to the OB for them to check my incision tomorrow too. Jim says he can't pack it as deep as before, so hopefully that means it's healing. Poor guy is going to have to come home on his lunch hour to take care of it - just what you want to do when you're supposed to eat. I hope this is over soon, it's not pleasant for either of us.

I got myself off the pain meds (except for Ibuprofen, I need something when my incision is packed) and the constipation is getting better.

My 5 year old is adjusting well, a bit whiny at times but otherwise doing ok. My 2 year old is having a hard time just like I expected though not like I expected. I thought he'd be emotional, but he's aggressive and is always after the 5 yr old trying to hit. When he's having sensory issues he does this too, but this is different. He's also having a lot of behavior issues as well. He's more work than the baby. Just the last couple of days he's been very emotional. I know it's adjustment but he is draining me. He's fine when Connor is gone but as soon as he gets home, Holden starts hitting and getting in trouble.

DH goes back to work on Wednesday, I don't know if I can do this alone! Thankfully my mom can help out. Plus Connor has summer camp in the mornings so at least Holden is easy then.

Mommy of 3 super charged kiddos
#7 of 125 Old 06-08-2008, 10:22 PM

Well DH is home now. That is nice and hard at the same time. How do you last 6 weeks with no sex??? I am already going through with drawls. and its not even the whole I need sex thing its I need my Ronnie. I miss him so much already. And I am afraid we may have to wait longer from the episiotomy. I am guessing that it would be considered a third degree as the doctor cut as far as he could without cutting into the rectum...(is that a 3rd degree)
Kaden is just getting better at nursing and sleeping and he opens his eyes wider and moves alot more now during his awake periods. His eyes are starting to focus into blue. I cant wait to see what color they end at. I am 99.9% sure they will be blue i just wonder if they will look like Ronnies or Mine.
Ronnie may have to go back to work tommorow which really sucks cause he has said all along that he can take two weeks off when I have the baby. And it would be really nice to have him around for a while.
When did you ladies start cleaning around the house and such again??
cat

Cat married 4 yrs to DH DS '08 Early October 2010.
#8 of 125 Old 06-08-2008, 11:05 PM

Here is my last post from the other thread.

Christine, how are you feeling? Still a lot of pain?

I'm a bit frustrated. I had dh check me out the other night and apparently I did tear. Right on my scar from dd1. I posted in birth professionals about it and got one response there, but several pm's. Apparently it's really too late to be sewn up and could require surgery. My midwife has not been returning my phone calls. She hasn't been very much since I gave birth. It's like the care has completely changed. I don't even know what I'm supposed to do now.

Christine, today she's been at a birth, so she's busy, but that still doesn't explain the last few days. I do have an OB and I guess I will be calling him soon. *sigh*

Serenity LDS mommy to 4 rambunctious kidlets
#9 of 125 Old 06-08-2008, 11:11 PM

Sam is two weeks old, but this is my first time posting to the post-partum thread.

My husband is going back to work on Tuesday, but I am kind of looking forward to trying out being at home with my boys by myself. I still don't feel 100%, which has been hard because I bounced back soooooo quickly after my last birth. My bladder feels funny and I feel like I'm getting an infection. I also still feel kind of swollen even though I had a very minor first degree tear that didn't need stitching. I also have been very constipated, despite beiing very diligent (seems like nursing always gets me this way), so pooping has been an issue. I'm always thinking about it.

Sam has had a goopy eye since birth that hasn't resolved, despite massaging and breastmilk several times day. The midwives are coming tomorrow to look at it. I also took him to the doctor last week (despite my better judgement) to have a ped look at his head. He has an odd ridge that runs in along the side of his head. It is hardly noticeable. The doctor spent about 15 seconds looking at it, told me it was normal and then left the room. So much for my $25 co-pay. I don't know why the head thing has been worrying me so much, but I've finally letting it go and assuming all is well.

I can't believe it's June and we have all had our babies! This is my last one and dh already is planning on the surgery. It's nice not to have to think about bc anymore.

Amy
#10 of 125 Old 06-09-2008, 12:51 AM

I am 4 days postpartum and all is well. We had our first outing today, we went with friends to lunch at a resaraunt. Sophie did so well, not even a peep. My bleeding is a little heavier today than it has been, I think because I am up and around more. Sophie's cord fell off last night, I could not believe it, the cord did not even last 94 hours!

She took her first bath today, she was like a little frog, she was in heaven and did not even fuss when I washed her hair. She is such a good little baby. My only complaint is that she does not like sleeping anywhere but in my arms or lap (or someone else' arms/lap), I feel like I am getting nothing done. I am also not super comfortable co-sleeping, so I am waking up stiff, sore and tired. I just wish I could get her to enjoy her Amby bed I spent a fortune on!

Heather: Mama to my amazing boys A-14.5, C-13, & M-5.5, and my sweet girl S-2.5 and introducing our little surprise Liam Michael, born 12/28!
#11 of 125 Old 06-09-2008, 12:52 AM

Xander is 2 weeks old and is already 10 lbs 11 ounces and 22 1/2 inches tall. So much for having a little baby. He is eating all the time too and now my milk supply is way out of control. We've got green poopies here and gas too. I started block feeding the other day and am just waiting for things to settle down.

I feel pretty much back to normal, just really tired and out of shape. I forgot how hard it is to be sleep deprived. DD has been having temper tantrums too and I am really trying to be patient with her for it is such a big change for her. Poor little thing.
#12 of 125 Old 06-09-2008, 12:53 AM

Xander is 2 weeks old and is already 10 lbs 11 ounces and 22 1/2 inches tall. So much for having a little baby. He is eating all the time too and now my milk supply is way out of control. We've got green poopies here and gas too. I started block feeding the other day and am just waiting for things to settle down.

I feel pretty much back to normal, just really tired and out of shape. I forgot how hard it is to be sleep deprived. DD has been having temper tantrums too and I am really trying to be patient with her for it is such a big change for her. Poor little thing.
#13 of 125 Old 06-09-2008, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amyaebi View Post
... I also have been very constipated, despite beiing very diligent (seems like nursing always gets me this way), so pooping has been an issue. I'm always thinking about it.

Sam has had a goopy eye since birth that hasn't resolved, despite massaging and breastmilk several times day.
Huh, I didn't know breastfeeding could be associated with being constipated...maybe that explains my troubles, too!?

Declan has a goopy eye. I seem to be good at having babies with blocked tear ducts - DS1 had one and despite efforts (daily massage, breastmilk, eventually we even took him for some osteopathic treatment) it took almost 2.5 years to open. It stopped gooping up in January out of the blue. Our doc says sometimes they just have to grow out of it - it's an anatomical thing and often when their faces get a little bigger, everything opens and works as it should. I kinda did a double take the other day when my midwife said the blocked duct is an infection...my understanding is that it is not an infection, the goop is just drying tears that didn't drain through the blocked duct (this is direct from a doc we saw when DS1's eye got particularly bad around 4 weeks old, we were freaked, he was very calm!). Pretty sure various docs we saw would not be comfortable with DS having an eye infection for over 2 years..!
#14 of 125 Old 06-09-2008, 02:29 PM

Hi all! We're doing pretty well here. Samuel is finally starting to sleep a bit better; I can usually get a three-hour stretch where he'll sleep in the co-sleeper and then he spends the rest of the night with me. I'm so grateful for this small improvement, as I've been so tired and cranky lately.

All of a sudden last week I looked at Samuel and realized that he is getting positively chubby! His little cheeks are so full, his arms have plumped up, and he's starting to get little rolls at the tops of his legs. It's so nice to have visible proof that he is growing and thriving on mama's milk. I struggled constantly with dd to maintain an adequate supply, and she ended up failure to thrive and supplemented with formula from 5 months on. I've been so worried about whether we would struggle with growth issues this time, too, but I'm starting to relax a bit because he looks so good! He is still wearing his newborn size clothes, but I think we'll be moving up a size in a week or so.

Does anyone know about how long the leaking/spraying typically lasts? I didn't have hardly any leaking with dd, but I'm still having major spraying leaks every time Sam nurses. I kind of thought that would have settled down a bit by now.
#15 of 125 Old 06-09-2008, 02:57 PM

Thanks, Shauna, for kicking these threads off---they are keeping me sane right now!!!!!!!!

The last few days have been our hardest yet. Not sure what is going on with my precious baby June, but she fussed ALL DAY Satirday and Sunday. She would sleep for about 10-20 minutes, then wake. Over and over again all day...then all out crying during fussy time at night (which I suspect is mainly her being so overtired and overstimulated from being awake too much). I have cut out milk, cheese and yogurt, but did have some pizza on Friday night--hmmm? Not sure it constitues this strong of a reaction? Plus, she never has green poops, so not even sure if dairy is an issue. Also cut out caffeine, but suspect I was accidentally given regular at a restaurant on Saturday? Could be causing the waking thing?

Also, dd1 has been struggling lately. Last week was when the hitting, throwing, and screaming/stomping, etc started, and even though it has improved slightly from last week, it still takes me back and I feel dumbfounded as to what to do to. Like CJ'smommy said, I expected her to have a hard time adjusting, just didn't expect the aggressive behavior...not like this anyway, it is so out of character for her. I have been spending as much time as possible with her--but have to admit, I am TENSE. A lot of times when I am sitting with her, I am just waiting for the baby to wake up or start fussing.

I'm exhausted! But, also in LOVE...these girls are both so beautiful and sweet. I just wish I could split myself in two so that noone was ever left without a mommy when they really need one!
#16 of 125 Old 06-09-2008, 03:06 PM

to all who need it!

Meaghan, I'd bet it's the caffeine/coffee.
#17 of 125 Old 06-09-2008, 04:57 PM

A couple of random things:

I woke up this morning with a huge hickey on my breast! Apparently last night Sam missed his mark and I didn't notice it.

Does anyone else have a hairy baby? Sam has fine, but dark and very noticeable, hair all over his shoulders, upper arms, and back.
#18 of 125 Old 06-09-2008, 05:27 PM - Thread Starter

Definitely getting smiles here. It is the cutest darn thing. She wrinkles her nose while doing it .

Mama to M (7/05) and S (5/08) my surprise !!!
#19 of 125 Old 06-09-2008, 05:33 PM

Hey everybody! Kierah turned 7 weeks old yesterday! I can't believe how fast she's growing! She's 4 oz from doubling her birth weight! (I even weighed her after a major blowout!) Not surprising since she started out at 6 lbs 1/2 oz, but still!!! I finally snapped a picture of her smiling yesterday. So Cute! I love seeing her personality shine through with each passing day. Kierah seems to have a green hue to her poops also, but mostly with the huge, blow out the pants kind. She's a little gassy, but it's not terrible. She spits up, but no more than her sister did. Does anyone else have a hiccuppy spitter? Sometimes, K will spit up with every hiccup. She did that down my shirt while hanging out in my sling at the mall Saturday. It's good I've gotten used to my new and constant sour milk aroma! It's either from her ralphing on me or from me leaking like a firehose! Gotta run! Take care everybody!
#20 of 125 Old 06-09-2008, 07:08 PM

Im only 4 days PP and breastfeeding so far is going great. I feel pretty good unless I do too much, which I do all the time because I feel so good. I only had a skidmark that didnt need stitches and it hasnt hurt until last night and today. Is this part of healing or is it somehow worse? I BURNS when I urinate and from time to time throughout the day. Anyone else with skidmarks, how did they heal for you and how long did it take?

Jeanna, proud mama to 3 sweet girls!
#21 of 125 Old 06-09-2008, 07:28 PM

d'oh! I *will* learn to post on the right thread!

Quote:
Sara, are your breasts still engorged somewhat? (I'm guessing yes based on your other fluiid problems) Try cabbage leaves on them. That really shrunk my swollen nipples and along with reverse pressure softening helped my nipples be handleable for big E (who had an amazingly small mouth and refused to open it well!).

the cabbage leaves also felt better than soothies on my sore nips!

are your breasts firm or soft in general? (ie can you squish them easily) mine are pretty floppy so I can sandwich the nipple (squish flat) and shove it in manually. Now after 2 weeks of doing that he's starting to latch wider and "get it" in general.

another thought is he may be clamping down to stop a fast letdown from those superboobs.
#22 of 125 Old 06-09-2008, 07:36 PM

Everything is going here. The past 2 days have consisted of packing, nurse, feed kids, nurse, pack, nurse, change diaper, feed kids, nurse, pack. Heh. I finally am not bleeding like I'm 2 days PP, and on sunday M will be a month!!!! I can't believe how fast it's going.

The 2 oldest have been SUCH a great help, changing dipes and all. Yay! But L is really not a happy camper right now. She is so grumpy, and always wants to be in my lap (especially when I'm nursing). She wants to hold my breast so that she can feed the baby, which I think it's so damn cute. But I know she's just reeling from the split and getting used to being a big sis. M is doing great, he's really starting to chub out. I love the squishy chunk legs. And he's now started flirting with the idea of smiling

Ok, gotta run!
#23 of 125 Old 06-09-2008, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeannabna View Post
Im only 4 days PP and breastfeeding so far is going great. I feel pretty good unless I do too much, which I do all the time because I feel so good. I only had a skidmark that didnt need stitches and it hasnt hurt until last night and today. Is this part of healing or is it somehow worse? I BURNS when I urinate and from time to time throughout the day. Anyone else with skidmarks, how did they heal for you and how long did it take?
nak

5 day pp with a skidmark. No burning, but a little itching. I added witch hazel (1:4) to my peri bottle, with 4 pts being water, and it seems to numb my peri pretty nicely.

Heather: Mama to my amazing boys A-14.5, C-13, & M-5.5, and my sweet girl S-2.5 and introducing our little surprise Liam Michael, born 12/28!
#24 of 125 Old 06-09-2008, 08:39 PM

I had a few sad moments today. My aunt had a baby Saturday at 27 weeks. He is in a hospital 3 hours away and she was just released today. She's heading there tomorrow. She's been pumping every 2 hours, but not getting anywhere so she called to ask if she could try nursing Noah. I've done this before, but with a much older baby. I went over there and tried very hard not to cry watching him try to latch onto another woman. It's for a good cause, but, boy, it was hard to watch.

Serenity LDS mommy to 4 rambunctious kidlets
#25 of 125 Old 06-09-2008, 08:50 PM

I can see how that would be emotional! you are an angel for helping her thought.
#26 of 125 Old 06-09-2008, 08:52 PM

Serenity & to your aunt
#27 of 125 Old 06-09-2008, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatureMama3 View Post
to all who need it!

Meaghan, I'd bet it's the caffeine/coffee.

Thanks NM---I think so, too. I just hope it gets out of my system soon. I am so tired! But, I guess it's all part of having a newborn! She sleeps for now, so I better get mine in too. Er...maybe a shower? It's going on day 4 over here without washing my hair. You know you're a mom of 2 when washing your hair is a special occasion!

BIG HUGS to all you guys!
#28 of 125 Old 06-09-2008, 10:37 PM

a shower and music going the whole time (upbeat) is how I stay awake these days.
#29 of 125 Old 06-10-2008, 12:28 AM

NatureMama3, thanks for the advice. Our LC came out today and worked with us for an hour. I'm pumping every 3 hours for a 15 minutes on each boob : and feeding him with our Level 1 Dr. Brown's for the next 24 hours while my nipples heal. Tomorrow she's coming out again to work on his latch on the boob. Cross your fingers it works.

We're much happier, though, which is good. I love feeding him now that I'm not getting chomped on.

Sara caffix.gif, Keith 2whistle.gif, Toby 6/08superhero.gif, Nomi 4/10blahblah.gif, Mona 1/12 hammer.gif

Mama of three, lover, student rabbi, spoonie, friend, musician, narcoleptic, space muffin, pretty much a dragon. Crunchy like matzoh.

#30 of 125 Old 06-10-2008, 10:04 AM

It is great to read these.

Things are going well here. Molly is almost 4 weeks old! How did that happen? She's still quite calm and chilled out and likes to sleep. She is a little fussy in the early evening, but that's because she is overtired. I"m always thrilled when she falls asleep after nursing around 6:30/7:00 b/c then I know she'll go down for the night easily, vs if she stays awake from that time until bedtime at 9:30, when it will be harder to get her to settle to sleep. Still, I count my blessings, as she is so much of a better sleeper than DS was at her age. She's starting to make some coos, but I think they're more accidental! She is also growing out of her newborn clothes and diapers. A week from today we'll go to her 1 month peds appointment.

DS is doing well. He love loves loves his baby sister and constantly wants to hold, kiss, hug and help with her. He loves helping with diaper changes and likes to help give her a bath (which also results in him being completely soaked!). He has been having some issues with sleeping (mainly waking up really early) and I think that has to do with adjusting to having a sibling. Hopefully this will pass soon, as it's a little frustrating that my 2 year old toddler is not sleeping as well as his 4 week old sister!

I'm doing well too. I'm trying to just live in the moment and enjoy being with my baby, knowing full well how quickly the time goes. It's strange how the days sort of tick by slowly, but the time still seems to fly.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page