Samantha's Homebirth - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 06-15-2008, 12:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Two days until my due date of May first and I was at home at work in our office. At about 1:30 I felt something unusual, something that kinda felt like I need to go poop really badly. My computer had just frozen up so I stopped all my calls and shut down my computer so I could reboot everything. While I was waiting for all the programs to shut down I went to the bathroom. I did go poop a little but nothing that would explain the sensation I just felt. So I though maybe that was a rush??? Now I have not felt any braxtion hicks contractions at all. My midwife, Evelyn said she could feel me having them during an exam but I could not tell when it was happening. So that was my first experience with having a rush. I went back and restarted my computer and all its programs and instant messaged by boss to explain why I had rebooted my computer and to tell her that I might be in labor but wasn't sure yet. It was about 2:00 at this time and I had another rush. So then I called my sister to ask her what rushes felt like. I told her that I was fairly sure that I was in labor and asked when she was going to get off of work. While on the phone with her I had another rush at about 2:20 so I told her to get off early if possible and to come right over because it is going to be today. I then hung up and called DH to let him know to get off of work and come home ASAP cause We Were In Labor! I had another rush at 2:30 while on the phone with him. Things were picking up pretty fast, as I expected, so the next call was to the midwife to let her know I was in labor. She told me to keep timing the contractions and to let her know when they get closer together and she would be over. At the same time I instant messaged my boss to tell her I was leaving and in labor so I wouldn't be in the next day.

My next rush was at 2:45. I have know thru out this whole pregnancy that my labor was going to be fast so I was nervous right now at home by my self waiting for someone to show up and help me out. To give my self something to do I took a quick shower, and shaved my leggs, he he he! Then I got into comfortable loose clothing, paced around the bedroom, and went to the bathroom a lot to check out stuff. There was some mucus plug and possibly some leaking of the amniotic fluid. Soon my sister showed up and I was very relieved, I let her take over timing the rushes. Shortly after that DH came home. At that point the rushes were getting even closer. Since my midwife is over an hour away we called her again and told her she should head on over. (She was thinking, first time mom, I will go ahead and take my time as I am most likely going to be there all night.) Yeah Right! At this time I was dancing with DH every time a rush came on but felt like getting in the shower. So I stripped down and got in the shower with Hot water pouring over my back while I leaned on the back shower wall during the rushes. That worked for a while but I was getting a little tired and knew that I did not want to be standing up for long. So we turned off the shower, removed the shower curtain and I squatted in the tub while leaning over the edge. This was better for my legs but we have a very small tub. I wanted to lean over more so they brought me a chair with a balance ball wedged between the arms. That was perfect for me. I could lean over the balance ball and grip the back of the chair during a rush while my lower half rested on the edge of the tub. We used towels to soften the edge of the tub for my knees.

My sister was the best ever!!! She would sit beside me on the edge of the tub and talk in a soft, quiet voice all the while gently rubbing my lower back. At this time the rushes started to get intense. So we called my doula and asked her to head on over, she lives much closer, and arrived with in a few minutes. I wanted to let DH help out as much as he wished, so at one point he switched places with my sister to help rub my back. Well that just did not work, he kept leaning on me when he went to rub my back! I kept yelling at him to get off. After he did that twice I told him to bring my sister back. She had the perfect touch. Every time a rush would come I would lean hard into the balance ball and grip the back of the chair soooooo tight I could hear it creak. I was sure at some point I was going to rip that chair in half. My sister would talk softly encouraging me and keep rubbing my back lightly while DH and my doula ran around to get me drinks, straws, and to get things together for the midwife as I had not gotten all the supplies in one place yet. All of a sudden I started pooping with every rush. This really annoyed me, I figured I know how to poop, I don't need all these annoying rushes to help me do that! Although I was glad I was in the tub during the poopy stage. My wonderful sister would help wipe my butt and clean out the poops between rushes. She is the best sister ever!

Well the midwife, Evelyn, and her assistant, Casey, arrived and they told me later I was pushy when the came in. I couldn't tell my self which rushes were pushing ones and which were not. They just kept getting more and more intense to me. The midwife did a quick check to see how I was doing and they all decided that it would be better for me to get out of the tub and into the bedroom as there was more room. I was annoyed at all the voices which were too loud and too many so I tuned everybody out but my sister. She was the only one I listened to after that. So she had to give me instruction on what to do. She said we were going to move me to the bedroom, so I told them to set everything up so I could move as fast as I could between rushes. At the first break I had I hurried into the bedroom where they placed the balance ball on the floor. I positioned my self on all fours leaning over the ball. My sister sat opposite me on the floor and during these rushes I would grab her upper arm and pull. I ended up giving her some bruises, which I felt bad about later. All thru the labor I could not tell how far along I was. I just felt the rushes get more and more intense. I could not tell pushy from non-pushy, or if she was coming down or not. Just more and more intense.

Soon the midwife relayed to my sister who told me that they wanted to reposition me better so I could push easier. So DH sat on the edge of our bed and I went over between another rush and sat on his lap. I had two people holding my legs and I could push in a raised squatting position this way. Everybody was getting excited and telling me to push harder. I could not tell if I was making any progress so most of the push harder comments just annoyed me. Then I heard my sister say "Wow, she has so much hair!" that statement made me start pushing harder as I finally realized that it was almost over and her head was about to come out. Casey, the midwife's assistant was rubbing olive oil all over my yetti yoni to make it easier for our little girl to get out. DH jokingly says that our birth was unofficially "Sponsored by NASCAR" because we used the olive oil that we purchased at Childress Wineries. That winery is owned by Richard Childress the owner of several NASCAR teams. And now the oil we purchased is being used to grease the runway for baby Samantha to come out of Mama. During those last few rushes it went from intense to painful as her head coming out tore me in two places. I would not describe most of the labor as painful but that last part sure did burn. Shortly after that burning sensation out popped her head. They checked quickly for the cord then another big push and out came the rest of her right into Casey's hands. This was at 7:14, the whole labor from first rush till birth was just over 5 hours. I knew it was going to be fast!

They placed her on my belly, and she started telling us all about her journey coming out in a loud, lusty cry. She was quite slippery and I was a little afraid I would drop her. I looked down at my adorable, goopy, baby and told her how glad I was she was out. I could not see her very well as I had taken off my glasses early on in labor back in the bathroom. With out my glasses everything beyond two inches from my nose is out of focus. So I am sitting on DH's lap, trying not to drop Samantha, feeling so glad the labor part is over and just enjoying the cute bundle in my arms even though I could not see her well. Soon the placenta was ready to come out. I was DONE and ready to have it all over so I gave a mighty push and out it shot! Thinking back now I don't think it was necessary to have pushed that hard since the placenta came out at such a velocity that it splattered poor Casey from head to toe. Eventually I handed Samantha off to DH so I could get stitched up. Now that process was much more painful than labor! I screamed louder for the Lidocaine shots than I did during labor. I was so frustrated, I did not want to be laying there getting stitched up, I was done getting poked down there. During the stitching stage I got so cold. My wonderful doula helped to wrap me up and rub my arms to keep me warm until they were done. DH also brought me some nice hot tea to help warm me up.

Once I was all stitched up I nursed Samantha, then I took a nice hot shower, cleaned up and got into bed. Everyone kept bringing me yummy food. I was so hungry after all that work and the food tasted delicious! Evelyn and Casey checked both Samantha and I out. We were both doing fine, Little Sammy weighed in at 8 pounds 4 ounces and had perfect 10 on both apgar scores. My dad and niece, Morgan, had come over some time during the labor, and now came upstairs to see us. Morgan loves her new baby cousin. They are going to have a lot of fun playing together when Samantha gets a bit bigger. DH and I are so thrilled to have our baby girl here with us and we loved our Homebirth. We will absolutely have all our future kids at home too. A big thanks to everyone in our birthing team!

Livin' surf.gif Laughin' lol.gif Lovin' joy.gif - Just Me and Sammers, my homebirthin' little girl. 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 06-15-2008, 12:49 PM

That was great, thanks for sharing! How awesome to have a sister like that.
#3 of 8 Old 06-15-2008, 01:10 PM

Thank you for sharing your beautiful story . I tore in two places too, and I know what you mean about the stitching-- I was so impatient, just wanted to be done so I could go cuddle with my new family!
#4 of 8 Old 06-15-2008, 03:27 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah my sister (AKA- Ben's Mommy) totally ROCKS!

And the stitching did suck big time.

Livin' surf.gif Laughin' lol.gif Lovin' joy.gif - Just Me and Sammers, my homebirthin' little girl. 

#5 of 8 Old 06-15-2008, 11:11 PM

Sounds like a really amazing birth!! Thank you for sharing .

Mama to M (7/05) and S (5/08) my surprise !!!
#6 of 8 Old 06-16-2008, 12:10 AM

Great birth story.

We really should get together, you're quite close to me.

"To err is human, to forgive, canine." - Unknown
#7 of 8 Old 06-16-2008, 01:54 AM

What a sweet sissy you have! I only have one sibling, a brother, and he's way to queezy to even be in the house when I was in labor lol. I can totally relate to the stitching...in fact...I chickened out! I opted to just let my tear heal on it's own. I haven't even had the guts to look yet at how it healed and it's been a month :P I hope I made the right choice :S
#8 of 8 Old 06-16-2008, 12:56 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah, PuppyFluffer, I am always headed to the Frederick area so maybe we can set up a play date. I like taking my little girl to Baker Park maybe we can get together there. If only the weather would cool down just a little.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page