Vaginal Prolapse? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-15-2008, 09:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anyone else have this? Are kegels enough to fix it? I plan to ask my MW at the 6 week checkup in a couple weeks, but it seems like this is what I have going on. I'd rather not have to go to the doctor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2008, 10:55 AM

I'm hoping kegels are enough to fix it! Been doing them like crazy.

DH and I - totally winging life with our four children, DS1 (6.5yrs), DS2 (5yrs), DD (3yrs) and DS3 (1)!

Old 06-16-2008, 11:01 AM

No, but I found this site a while back (while trying to learn ways to NOT have that happen) and it's very helpful.

http://wholewoman.com/
Old 06-16-2008, 02:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatureMama3 View Post
No, but I found this site a while back (while trying to learn ways to NOT have that happen) and it's very helpful.

http://wholewoman.com/
Thank you-- I'll take a look. Ugh, I just want to feel normal again so I can take care of my guy...
Old 06-16-2008, 03:13 PM

I spoke to my doc on the phone about something to this effect. Didn't know it had a name She said kegels! I already feel a difference. She said that she could see me earlier than 6 weeks if I was concerned. I'm giving kegels a week then I may go in to have her check it out.

to you
Old 06-16-2008, 03:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate'sMama View Post
I spoke to my doc on the phone about something to this effect. Didn't know it had a name She said kegels! I already feel a difference. She said that she could see me earlier than 6 weeks if I was concerned. I'm giving kegels a week then I may go in to have her check it out.

to you
thank you for the reassurance... i called mt mw, and she said she wants to check me out, so i have an appointment or tomorrow. sigh...
Old 06-17-2008, 12:05 AM

after doing a bit more research and taking a mirror to my undercarriage again, I think I'll be calling for an appt too.

sorry not so reassuring this time. now i'm a bit freaked out

Old 06-17-2008, 11:13 AM

The info on POP (pelvic organ prolapse) is pretty frightening! Hence why I'm hoping kegels help a *lot*.

Aside from having the kids closely spaced, I have no idea why *I* would be having issues. Blech!

DH and I - totally winging life with our four children, DS1 (6.5yrs), DS2 (5yrs), DD (3yrs) and DS3 (1)!

Old 06-17-2008, 12:08 PM

I did some serious pushing. Short (45 min) and intense. Could that have done it? I was on my side for all but the last push.
Blech is right!
Old 06-17-2008, 12:41 PM

Hmm, that site posted above had an article on how to do a self-exam...it said with a Stage II uterine prolapse you would be able to feel the whole neck of the cervix in your vagina. I haven't done any feeling around down there since the birth, but it seems to me I could feel the neck of my cervix before I even got pregnant for the first time...(I have a couple of little bumps - I forget what they're called - that I like to keep an eye on between paps, just to be safe) ?

Also, I might have had this happen during most recent pregnancy when very constipated...I thought it might just be swelling from straining but now I'm not so sure.
Old 06-17-2008, 01:50 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I did some serious pushing. Short (45 min) and intense. Could that have done it? I was on my side for all but the last push.
Blech is right!
This describes me exactly-- on my side, 45 minutes of intense pushing.

I'll try to let you all know what the mw says after she sees me.
Old 06-17-2008, 01:55 PM

shauna, I think that means down in the vagina not up in the cul-de-sac where it belongs.
Old 06-17-2008, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatureMama3 View Post
shauna, I think that means down in the vagina not up in the cul-de-sac where it belongs.
Oh okay. Well, not okay...I decided to see what was on the go down there and hmm, I used to have to reach a lot more to reach my cervix :-( I hope time and Kegels will get things back in place!
Old 06-17-2008, 03:41 PM

it's always a bit lower after childbirth. It does normally go back up though. At this point I'd only worry if the cervix were very close to or at the vaginal opening.

we're all so close to delivery still that there's a normal amount of rearragement there yet to recover.
Old 06-17-2008, 04:01 PM

Okay. Prolapse has been my biggest fear. About a week after delivery I felt like things were VERY different. I don't have a mirror, but I did feel around. I was able to reach in and feel my cervix, about a fingerlength in, when I had never been able to reach it before. My vagina has felt different from after the delivery of my second, even though I hardly pushed and was on my side. It just is "squishier". Tampons didn't feel the same. I guess that is why I was so worried this time, that things would get worse.

My midwife told me that prolapse usually occurs within 24 hours of childbirth and that she has seen on occasion a cervix on the outside of the vagina and that by six weeks it is back inside close to where it is supposed to be. Basically things can only get better, not worse. Breastfeeding can slow the return of everything to normal because of hormones. I have wondered if I have a cystocele (there is something kind of lumpy in there), but will ask an OB when I have an exam later this year.

Things still don't feel back to normal (I'm about 3 1/2 weeks out), but I'm doing kegels like crazy and sometimes things feel lots better and sometimes it feels strange.

I'll be very interested to hear what others' midwives are saying.

Amy
Old 06-17-2008, 09:25 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by amyaebi View Post
Breastfeeding can slow the return of everything to normal because of hormones.
My MW pointed this out too.

She came today and inspected things. First thing she said was, "I think that's your cervix right there," which was what I thought too. But then she reached in and felt around and decided that wasn't it. What's out by the vaginal opening then? I don't know. It looked like another opening to me-- what else could it be?

But I trust her assessment. She said that she thinks its just a normal amount of postpartum laxity and that kegels, walking and good posture will help. I hope so. Anyway, I'm feeling much better after talking to her. I'm okay with my body being different, as long as I feel like it'll get better and not worse over time.

Anyone else been checked out yet?
Old 06-17-2008, 09:57 PM

thats good news!!
I'm going on Thurs.
Old 06-18-2008, 12:51 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
thats good news!!
I'm going on Thurs.
Good luck -- hope it's good news for you too.
Old 06-18-2008, 12:00 PM

molck, the rugae can sometimes form shapes and look like something they're not. probably that's all it was. glad to hear it sounds like normal postpartum stuff and not a more serious prolapse!
Old 06-20-2008, 03:01 PM

phew - normal postpartum stuff

I was totally freaked after reading some stuff online. Kegels and time will do the trick. She said the same thing about breastfeeding slowing things down. She had me take a look in the mirror lying down and it's not near as scary as what gravity does to your bits :-)

Hope everyone is feeling better!
Old 06-21-2008, 08:16 PM

Okay, I'm wondering about this too...I didn't push long, but she shot out (for example, I never even felt her descend- I just stood up and got down on my knees and in a matter of minutes (under 3, to be exact) she shot out, I pushed maybe 3 times? Could that do it, even though there wasn't much pushing involved?

I don't think mine is anything severe, but...(TMI ahead)...after DTD, which has only happened twice (DH better be happy with that!) after the second time it kinda felt like something was "hanging out". But I looked (I've looked down there several times since birth and it all looked normal) and nothing was really hanging out but it definitely looks like things have yet to go back into place.

Me (27) DH (30)...9 Years

DD (7) ~ DD (4) ~ DS (3)

Praying our April 2013 baby sticks!! joy.gif

Babies in Heaven...angel.gif 9/04 angel.gif 2/05 angel.gif 3/11 angel.gif 4/11 angel.gif 6/11 angel.gif 11/11 angel.gif 2/12 (along with my tube greensad.gif )

User Tag List