~ Postpartum check-in: 6/15-6/21 ~ - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 65 Old 06-15-2008, 10:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Okay, so what does it mean if there's mucous in the spit-up?

I'm considering seeing a LC (preferably IBCLC) to get some one-on-one counseling on the green, mucousy poops, block feeding, supply issues, etc.

Otherwise we're doing okay. Still gassy ...

Mama to M (7/05) and S (5/08) my surprise !!!
#2 of 65 Old 06-15-2008, 10:31 PM

Still gassy...

Plugged duct...lots and lots and lot of pain...did I mention LOTS? arghhh

I wanna cry...but I try to relax myself and smile while I nurse in pain

Almost crunchy but sometimes soggy, homeschooling mommy of 2. biggrinbounce.gif

I work from home and love showing others how to do it too!

http://www.empoweredhomeschooler.com  computergeek2.gif

#3 of 65 Old 06-15-2008, 10:56 PM

A bit gassy here, usually only at night. Still spitting/throwing up a bit. I'm trying not to worry.

Serenity LDS mommy to 4 rambunctious kidlets
#4 of 65 Old 06-15-2008, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanana View Post
Okay, so what does it mean if there's mucous in the spit-up?

I'm considering seeing a LC (preferably IBCLC) to get some one-on-one counseling on the green, mucousy poops, block feeding, supply issues, etc.

Otherwise we're doing okay. Still gassy ...
Have you tried chiropractic for the baby? I had issues with my first two and had them adjusted and it helped a great deal.

My first had painful gas and she'd arch her back and cry.
My second had some of that, ecezma on her forehead and just general fussiness for a bit.

I also had to give up dairy and that helped greatly!

"To err is human, to forgive, canine." - Unknown
#5 of 65 Old 06-15-2008, 11:03 PM

Still a bit gassy here...I also gave up dairy (I've wanted to go vegan for a while, it was nice to have the motivation to do so) and it's really helped.
We've got to go see a pediatric orthopedic dr. tomorrow because ds has a bit of a club foot. Hopefully he'll grow out of it!

Vegan, mom to : Joe and Josh ::
#6 of 65 Old 06-15-2008, 11:12 PM

Everyone is gassy!

Trinimama - You probably know this tidbit already but they say try to point baby's chin toward the blocked area for maximum unclogg-ability. Hope you feel better soon!

We're good. Z is still a happy baby who needs almost constant in arms/nursing. I'm still neurotic about whether it's normal. Took her on an all day adventure in the big city yesterday... long car drive which was fine on the way there, not so fine on the way back. We were walking a lot so I nursed her in the sling a lot and man did I get some stares! I guess I do in my own smaller city but I don't notice as much or something. Or maybe there are fewer people around, dunno. Anyway we had a lot of fun.
#7 of 65 Old 06-16-2008, 02:56 AM

were still doing good here! narayan is still sleeping four hours stretches and nursing forever when he does wake up. supply seems to be holding up fine even with the long stretches without nursing. this also means he wakes up inly once during the night for a feeding and can i tell you how great that feels??? nothing like it was with DD. not sure how long this will last but i am sure enjoying it while i got it.

he still has the green poop and i really don't think it is the for-milk hind milk issue since i am feeding him on one side for a long time sure he is getting both.so i guess it might be the dairy thing and i really hate to think so because i love it!!! cheese cheese and more cheese! he doesn't seem bothered by it in the least but i don't like it. i was wondering how long it should take to get all the dairy outta the system so you'll notice a change?

s to all the mamas with gassy little ones!

bellycast.gif Mama of DD 04/04 dust.gifand DS 06/08 superhero.gif and Lola our new dog2.gifwith new babyf.gif EDD 11/05/13. Married to the love of my life and best friend DH joy.gifand as a family we treehugger.gif , goorganic.jpg novaxnocirc.gif h20homebirth.gif familybed2.gif cd.gif

#8 of 65 Old 06-16-2008, 08:32 AM

Just wanted to check in on everyone real quick. Hope everyone is doing well, and to anyone who needs one. We'll be away the next couple days until all the moving is finished.

s ladies
#9 of 65 Old 06-16-2008, 09:39 AM

Kara, I hope your move goes smoothly. It's always such hard work moving!

We are doing really well. i cannot explain how much I love this baby. He's just to sweet and snuggly. I almost never put him down. Dh accuses me (humorously) of "hogging the baby". When I do give him to him, he often gets fussy, at which point dh says to him "time to go back to The Breasted One". He is much more easily settled down when he's on my shoulder. He just knows my smell, my heartbeat.... My dh is really good about this as he understands that it's pure biology. He gets his time with the babies when they get a little older. He just loves kids. I have a wonderful dh!!!!

The two older girls are really loving the new baby. I am so happy that the younger one is affectionate and loving to him. At 20 months old, she could be wanting to bonk him on the head or push her way into my lap every time I hold him. She is full of pats and kisses for him and it's really dear.

#10 of 65 Old 06-16-2008, 09:42 AM

The gassiness/fussy times are getting MUCH BETTER. This weekend has been a huge imrpovement over the past weeks, and I can only HOPE HOPE HOPE it continues. June saw the CST/Chiro on Thursday and has been making HUGE imrpovements since. She did some work on her legs and that has opened everything up----she didn't work with her legs last time and I suspect that's why we didn;t see the results we are seeing now (she was a breech baby and had one leg stuck for a long time and has always had a lot of tension in her legs)

I also discovered by accident that the vacuum cleaner puts her to sleep almost instantaneously when she is tired and fussing and can't get to sleep. I can just put her in the bouncy seat or on the boppy and she is OUT. It has been a lifesaver this weekend and has allowed me to spend some time with DD1 at bedtime....sooooo nice to be able to turn her over to DH during fussy time. Last night, I went in with dd1, FELL ASLEEP with her, and when I woke, found dh and dd2 asleep in the master bedroom with the vacuum on. LOL. That poor vacuum is going to blow up one day!

DD1 is improving also, so things are looking up. With dd2 sleeping better during the day, it has given me more time to spend with dd1 and that has made a big difference in our relationship.

Big Hugs to all the moms with gassiness....it's the worst. June is still having issue with gas at night, but it has improved much since I cut out big dairy like milk, cheese and yogurt, and also cut out caffeine.
#11 of 65 Old 06-16-2008, 10:00 AM - Thread Starter

Hmmmmmm. Last night was a pretty good night, for Sophie anyway. I was up at 4 AM and couldn't fall back asleep due to anxiety. And dd1 got up at 6:30 AM (usually gets up at 8 AM), sigh. But, Sophie's gas seemed pretty good. So I get to thinking ... what was different about yesterday? Well, I didn't eat any turkey. I had lamb for both lunch and dinner (something I usually try to avoid, so the monotony of my meals is slightly less monotonous). Hmmmmm. I cook my ground turkey in oil ... plain vegetable oil. The label has fallen off. Is it canola oil? I thought so, but no, wait ... no. I think ... it's soybean oil!!!!!!!!!!!

Could this be the answer to the gassiness? I guess only time will tell ...

#12 of 65 Old 06-16-2008, 10:03 AM - Thread Starter

Kara, I'll be thinking about you and I hope the move goes smoothly .

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuppyFluffer View Post
Have you tried chiropractic for the baby? I had issues with my first two and had them adjusted and it helped a great deal.
Yes, she has been twice, and is going again on Wednesday. We see a NUCCA chiro, so she only adjusts the atlas, although she also does some CST. Her atlas was waaaay out on the first visit, although still holding on the second (she did some additional work with CST though). We will see how she looks on Wednesday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by APmom2Libby View Post
Last night, I went in with dd1, FELL ASLEEP with her, and when I woke, found dh and dd2 asleep in the master bedroom with the vacuum on. LOL. That poor vacuum is going to blow up one day!
Glad to hear the vacuum does the trick!

#13 of 65 Old 06-16-2008, 10:07 AM

shanana, wanted to throw a thought out there... some kids CAN be allergic to rice. My twins had a sensitivity to that....

Trini, you can try lecithin supplements to help remedy/prevent the clogged ducts.

we're doing ok here baby-wise at least. he's staying awake plenty of the daytime most days and sleeping VERY WELL at night (frighteningly well). Last night he only woke up once. : Last we checked (friday?) he was 12lb 8oz so clearly his sleeping isn't hurting his weight.

I DO want a swing, though, as he's very much an in-arms baby and my arms are NOT doing well still and I do need to cook and such. he hates the bouncy, sadly.

I'm still terribly exhausted and tired and feeling awful all around.
#14 of 65 Old 06-16-2008, 10:11 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatureMama3 View Post
shanana, wanted to throw a thought out there... some kids CAN be allergic to rice. My twins had a sensitivity to that....
I had this thought as well, and am going to ask her to check for that at the NAET appt today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatureMama3 View Post
I'm still terribly exhausted and tired and feeling awful all around.

#15 of 65 Old 06-16-2008, 10:22 AM

Doing well here, had a couple of fussy nights, i think she is going through a growth spurt. Cluster feeding is working well, her poos are a lot less runny.

I had a fall yesterday when i went out, when iwas holding the baby she is fine, i scraped myself up pretty badly because my first instinct was to curl up around the baby. She didnt even wake up. I was pretty shaken up about it, it could of been much worse, thank goodness she was ok.
#16 of 65 Old 06-16-2008, 11:06 AM

Thismama and naturemama...thanks...I will try any and everything right about now.

I am also going to go to the fabric store today fr some cloth to wrap and wear my baby. I am quite excited and hope it goes well as mine is a in hands baby also...wish me luck!!

Almost crunchy but sometimes soggy, homeschooling mommy of 2. biggrinbounce.gif

I work from home and love showing others how to do it too!

http://www.empoweredhomeschooler.com  computergeek2.gif

#17 of 65 Old 06-16-2008, 01:19 PM - Thread Starter

Miscellaneous ramblings:

All Sophie has done today is sleep. My mil has dd1. All I've done is lay in bed and not sleep.

We got two kittens (brothers) in December, to keep our aging, neurotic female company and make it feel like we actually had pets in our house. They think everything is a cat toy, and dh finds various household items and children's toys in their basement water dishes almost every day (their favorite are the rubber bands we use in dd1's hair). I don't know why, but that seems to be the place they put things when they're done playing with them. This morning he found a dead mouse there. Sigh.

My aunt died very unexpectedly yesterday of unknown cause ... she was in her early 50s. We have lived many states apart for my whole life and as such were not particularly close. What makes me cry is thinking of how my grandfather must feel. He is in his 90s, and she lived with him and was his primary caretaker. He didn't see her all day yesterday so finally went to check on her. He found her dead in bed. On Father's Day .

And now I have to decide if I will make the trip from MI to North Carolina, and how -- fly? drive? (12 hrs, not counting stopping to nurse or soothe a screaming newborn.) Where will we stay? What will I eat? How will I get my horribly sleeping toddler to sleep?

I'm off to lie in bed and not sleep some more ...

#18 of 65 Old 06-16-2008, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanana View Post
My aunt died very unexpectedly yesterday of unknown cause ... she was in her early 50s. We have lived many states apart for my whole life and as such were not particularly close. What makes me cry is thinking of how my grandfather must feel. He is in his 90s, and she lived with him and was his primary caretaker. He didn't see her all day yesterday so finally went to check on her. He found her dead in bed. On Father's Day .

And now I have to decide if I will make the trip from MI to North Carolina, and how -- fly? drive? (12 hrs, not counting stopping to nurse or soothe a screaming newborn.) Where will we stay? What will I eat? How will I get my horribly sleeping toddler to sleep?

I'm off to lie in bed and not sleep some more ...
to you and your family. I hope you find a way to do the trip with minimal difficulty.

Breathe... (something i have to keep reminding myself today-- figured others here could use a reminder too)
#19 of 65 Old 06-16-2008, 02:44 PM

Shanana, as in tune as you were with your own body during the pregnancy, I was fairly certain you had tried chiropractic with the new one.

I am sorry to hear of your Aunt's passing. Is there a way you could honor her life locally without making the trip to NC? Make a donation to something she would want to support? Plant a tree in her honor? Some other way to help her memory live on? Or is your family the tupe to expect you to come to the funeral/memorial service? Travel with a wee one can be so hard.

#20 of 65 Old 06-16-2008, 04:13 PM

I'm sorry to hear about your family's loss. how very sad indeed.
#21 of 65 Old 06-16-2008, 05:24 PM

Shauna--so sorry to hear about your Aunt and your poor Dad---so SAD!

Also, PRAYING the soybean oil has been the cause of your problems with Sophie and cutting it out will leave her a sleepy, happy newborn!

Oh, and I can totally relate to the not being able to sleep thing...when dd1 was about 10 months old, she started taking a 1 hour nap (yep, just one hour!), and I always tried to sleep with her, but never could. The sleep deprivation got so bad that I could no longer fall asleep easily or stay asleep. What helped was adding Iodine to my diet....my adrenals were shot and causing all kinds of havoc.
#22 of 65 Old 06-16-2008, 08:17 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone, for your kind thoughts . The feelings of my family are not a very big factor in whether I travel to NC or not. Not that I'm callous, but I know I am in an extenuating circumstance right now, what with having a newborn and all, and have to do what is best for me, plain and simple. I truly do want to go, however. But I am leaning towards not doing it. I am having a hard enough time coping as it is right now, and traveling would only add more stress. I am still sitting on the idea, though, and will see how I feel in the next day or two. On a side note, airfare is outrageously expensive, which may decide for me ...

#23 of 65 Old 06-16-2008, 08:29 PM

Sorry about your aunt's passing, Shanana.

Things seem to be settling back to somewhat normal here and I'm feeling not so overwhelmed. Yay! Took C in to the MW's today for a check-up, including a weight check. Get this, since Wednesday, C has gained another 13 oz! He was 11/4 on Wed and 12/1 today! He's an absolute tank!

Mama to my 3 wild things.

#24 of 65 Old 06-16-2008, 09:13 PM

No gas here, but we are all mucousy. DS came home from daycare with a cold, and I got it and so did the babe. We went to the pediatrician over the weekend just to make sure her cold was just a cold and not something more serious, since I have never heard a newborn cough like she was coughing. Thankfully she is just fine - it's just a cold and she seems a lot better. We're back to the ped tomorrow for her one month well-baby visit and for the doc to look at DS and make sure his cold isn't something more serious and <knock wood> not an ear infection.

Aside from the cold, I am feeling good. Babe sleeps very well and now that she's a month old has had more alert periods during the day. Nursing is going great - she was 9 1/2 pounds at the ped's office on Saturday - so she's up almost 2 pounds from her birth weight!

Shanana, I am sorry about your aunt, and agree that you shoudl do what is best for you. Life is not easy with a newborn.

Also, for you mamas whose babes are gassy, have you tried the belly massage/bicycle legs combo? I tried this with my DD and it worked great. Lay your baby on her back. Take your fingers and gently rub her tummy/gut in a circle. Then, take her legs and push toes to nose and then do bicycle type motions with them. Repeat. You would not believe the farts that came out of my babe when I did this a few weeks ago!!! It was instant relief. Whenever she seems gassy, I do this and it always works.
#25 of 65 Old 06-16-2008, 10:09 PM

had kadens well baby checkup today for two weeks. he is now 9 lbs 12 ounces. so he has already gained 1 lb and 2 ounces. but we cant find the pku card. grrr I stuck it in the diaper bag and its not in there anymore and I have looked everywhere. makes me feel like a moron. only have one more place to look but have to wait for my sister to get home. with my luck it fell out at walmart or something.... ugh.

Ronnie is gone all week. and I dont know how I am going to manage. he is finally sleeping good now. but thats cause I slept with him for two hours and he is still asleep. i could barely even take a shower this morning. I probably took five min max and he was just screaming when I got out. I didnt really eat anything untill like 4:00. before then all I had had was a yogurt and a glass of juice.

nursing makes me nautious so it makes it hard to eat when he wants to eat non stop. I just keep praying for guidance and strength to make it through and to enjoy it. cause he is getting big so fast.

Cat married 4 yrs to DH DS '08 Early October 2010.
#26 of 65 Old 06-16-2008, 11:53 PM

Shanana ~ I'm sorry for you & your family. Hang in there!

Gottecat ~ Are you nauseous b/c your hungry? I get REALLY sick if I don't eat when I need to while nursing. Wear him or try to appease him in some other way and get yourself something to eat, even if it's just a snack. It might help to always leave something to munch on in your most common nursing spots. You gotta take care of yourself too, Mama! : )
#27 of 65 Old 06-17-2008, 11:25 AM

nak <---- I've waited forever to be good enough at this to use that acronym

Shanana. I hope times get easier for you.

Toby is gassy all right, but he solves it by looking you dead in the eye and letting out one of those frat-boy farts and then giving this shifty-eyed cocked smile. He's hilarious. The first time he did it, I totally blamed it on DH, not knowing.

Toby nurses FOREVER. Like for 45 minutes at a time. I guess that's why he's so far over his birth weight at 13 days, despite our nursing troubles. He's having bad times in the evenings, but it's getting easier to deal with.

Funny story: the FP stuck his finger in Toby's mouth yesterday to check his suck reflex. Toby bit down. HARD. Like he does when he nurses. The FP yelped and tried to get his finger back, but Toby held on good. We had to break his latch to get him unattached from the poor guy's finger. Dr. looked at me, horrified, and I just said "I put my nipples in there about 12 times a day," in the sweetest voice ever. It was hilarious.

Anyone doing delayed vax schedules? I have to do research on it and bring a schedule to his 1mo appt.

Sara caffix.gif, Keith 2whistle.gif, Toby 6/08superhero.gif, Nomi 4/10blahblah.gif, Mona 1/12 hammer.gif

Mama of three, lover, student rabbi, spoonie, friend, musician, narcoleptic, space muffin, pretty much a dragon. Crunchy like matzoh.

#28 of 65 Old 06-17-2008, 12:03 PM

Last night seemed so long! Noah was so gassy! He just screamed and screamed. Woke up Mady and she cried for a long time, too. One more night and then dh is home for 4 nights!

Sara we are delaying them until 2 years. I had gestational diabetes with Madalyn and since it's an autoimmune disease it made her at risk for a reaction. We didn't formally test for GD this time and my sugars were good for most of my pregnancy, but I didn't test much at the end. My midwife thinks with how big he was that I probably did have it, so we will be delaying again due to increased risk for reaction. I have a different pediatrician this time, so I don't know how it's going to go.

#29 of 65 Old 06-17-2008, 12:06 PM

Oh, and who talked about a yeast elimination diet? Where can I get info on this? I'm very overweight and get this horrible rash under my stomach. I've been thinking for awhile that it might be yeast. Then my vagina was a bit itchy, but I didn't know if it was just irritated from wearing pads or not. Now my nipples are starting to hurt again and they itch a bit. So I thought I might give it a try.

#30 of 65 Old 06-17-2008, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smeisnotapirate View Post
Anyone doing delayed vax schedules? I have to do research on it and bring a schedule to his 1mo appt.
I think I am. Already declined/delayed the hepB at the hospital. There were no shots offered at the 2 week checkup and the next well baby visit isn't until 2 months. I think I will follow the delayed vax schedule in Dr Sears' The Vaccine Book. It is overwhelming to me, but I do have a bit more time to continue to research it. Hilarious about the doctor and Toby's suck!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page