how is breastfeeding going for everyone? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 31 Old 06-17-2008, 12:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i got real lucky this time. aside from the normal tenderness of the milk coming in for a couple of day, my breasts and nipples feel great. little guy likes to nurse every 30 minutes to an hour during his awake times but only nurses every 4 hours during the nite. so i am getting good sleep. my 2 year old was up nursing every 1 1/2 hours to nurse for several months.

Lisa wife to Ronne and mom to 4 kids ,Thomas 4/92, Amanda 9/99, Christopher 8/06 & Nathaniel 5/08.
#2 of 31 Old 06-17-2008, 12:44 PM

don't want to jinx myself, but nursing is going great so far....

-Angela
#3 of 31 Old 06-17-2008, 12:46 PM

We are doing great! Most of her awake time is spent nursing. Yeah!

Livin' surf.gif Laughin' lol.gif Lovin' joy.gif - Just Me and Sammers, my homebirthin' little girl. 

#4 of 31 Old 06-17-2008, 12:48 PM

My nipples are sore, and I have a super forceful letdown, but we're working on it. I'm confident that with time/practice we'll catch our stride.
#5 of 31 Old 06-17-2008, 12:57 PM

doing great! I do seem to possibly be having some mastitis yesterday and today, though no red spots/etc. Maybe I'm just fighting the flu?

best of all my older nurser has made peace with the milk flavor and is nursing better again.

I'm just amazed at how different my 2 nursers are! my older one was always a nurse 45 minutes of every hour boy and this one is gaining faster yet probably only nurses 10 minutes at a time every couple hours and only once or twice overnight!
#6 of 31 Old 06-17-2008, 01:14 PM

going much better than the first week, my nipples were bleeding!!! so I had to pump a couple of days the first week to give my nipples time to heal some and got right back to breastfeeding as soon as possible.

Still not sure that we get the greatest latch based on how it feels, it doesn't hurt really but doesn't feel particularly comfy. His position, lips, all that looks right. Is it supposed to feel like no part of the mouth is rubbing against the nipple? Maybe I'm overly sensitive I just don't love the way it feels right now.

That's my only complaint.

He nurses every 4 hours at night as well.
#7 of 31 Old 06-17-2008, 01:28 PM

Crappy

I have low supply, and she won't latch on or suckle from me. I'm pumping 8-10 times a day and only getting a small % of her daily needs. It was like this with ds too, but at least he would nurse. I just didn't make enough despite pumping, fenugreek, reglan and domperidone.

It honestly makes me feel that I can't birth or feed my children normally.
#8 of 31 Old 06-17-2008, 01:39 PM

I'm sorry karen
#9 of 31 Old 06-17-2008, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerkyKP View Post
Crappy
It honestly makes me feel that I can't birth or feed my children normally.

I felt that way too. I have had 3 unwanted c/s and each time I've had MAJOR nursing issues. But, I think I have come to terms with it. I am a good mom, despite the fact that my children do not come out of my vagina and feed from my breast. In a perfect world they would but it's not, so I have to work with what I've been given. In no way am I trying to minimize what you are going through, I struggled with depression and stress about this for 4 years! I just want to offer a hug and a word of encouragement. Breast milk isn't the only sign that you are a good, caring, gentle, loving, affectionate mother! Look at all you have gone through just to try to make it work! I say (and I know I am stepping on toes here) if you have exhausted every effort and it is just stressing you more, calm down take a breath and realize formula was made for this. Formula was made to help moms who need help in the milk department. Ignore all the moms who just feed formula because the couldn't be bothered with breastfeeding and focus on all the moms out there who are in the same boat as you. In the long run this isn't going to matter. You will love your baby no less!

Sorry went kinda long....I guess I needed to preach to myself too

Momma to Ema(7), Amy(5) and David(1), wife to Dan the Man and due for another blessing in August!
#10 of 31 Old 06-17-2008, 02:39 PM

Sorry to hear that, Karen. ETA: I posted at about the same time as justmeandmyfamily, and I totally agree with her take on it...no toes stepped on here!

Things are going pretty well here. I am still cycling between being sore and not being sore. I had the same thing with DS1, for about 9 weeks, so I guess we have about 2 weeks of it left? It is bizarre. On the bright side, they are not THAT sore, just...irritated. Like, by the end of a bad day, I want to crawl up the walls. Declan is still doing his weird breaking the seal thing on the right, but only when he really doesn't feel like nursing - when he wakes up hungry in the middle of the night, he latches to the right just fine. So I guess I have to learn when to stop pushing the boob on him when he's not really that hungry, he's just not that into comfort nursing (maybe due to fast letdown?)! I am used to comfort nursing for every problem so it is a learning curve to find other ways to make him happy!
#11 of 31 Old 06-17-2008, 03:15 PM

s Karen.

We are doing good, I think. Still doing some block feeding. I try to nurse uphill when I can to help Sophie with my forceful letdown, especially if I hear her clicking (breaking her latch). I notice she hardly ever breaks her latch at night. I think it's because she's sleeping and not sucking as hard, so things are easier for her.

I get some tenderness here and there, but usually only for a day or so, and then it goes away . And it's not that bad either, just a little annoying.

Mama to M (7/05) and S (5/08) my surprise !!!
#12 of 31 Old 06-17-2008, 03:16 PM

Hugs to those that are struggling. Breastfeeding is definitely not something that I take for granted as my sister and close friends have just really seemed to have a difficult time with supply. I don't know how I got so lucky.

Sam will be a month old this weekend and things are going great. I was worried because DS2 had such latch issues, but DS3 has suckled since birth. I did have my typical two weeks of VERY sore nipples, but we are past that now.

He also doesn't really have an interest in nursing at night (I wake up so engorged), but I usually try and put him at the breast because he is such a grunter and being right next to my boob tends to have him sleeping peacefully in no time.

Amy
#13 of 31 Old 06-17-2008, 03:23 PM

Aww Karen, I'm sorry you're feeling this way. Big to you. I agree with ALL of what justmeandfamily posted.

BFing is going well for us. This is the second baby I've nursed (never could get dd1 to latch despite months of trying ) and I'm always a little hesitant that its going to work. But it has! She is a really great little nurser. She seems to prefer the right breast to the left. I'm hoping that I can boost supply in the left as I'd rather not have asymmetrical boobs for the next 2 years. Also, I think she is showing signs of having a dairy allergy, so I'll begin ditching that in my diet.

wave.gifWoHM to reading.gif DD age 10, peace.gif DS age 7, and sleepytime.gif DD age 4 and DP toblueman.gif

#14 of 31 Old 06-17-2008, 03:37 PM

i've had to ditch dairy too. oh well, was going to anyway it was just convenient still! but it's not worth the rashy skin and fussiness.
#15 of 31 Old 06-17-2008, 04:31 PM

nak

we are doing great. funny though my left side produces 2x as much as my right. I'm a bit lopsided

Kathlin fly-by-nursing2.gif mama to Kezia (3.5) hearts.gif & Cowan (1) diaper.gif

#16 of 31 Old 06-17-2008, 04:40 PM

Nursing is going great here! I pump every now and then to add another bottle to my freezer emergency supply..have about 8 bottles stored. She nurses about every 2 hours now- and a couple of times at night too.. I really dont pay much attention to the "how often" clock....just nurse when she seems to need it and dont stress the rest. She is chunky and healthy and thats all that matters to me! :-)

Kellina~ Wife & Christian SAHomeschooling Mama-to 8 GREAT children!   

brokenheart.gif *Missing my 6 m/c babies in the arms of Jesus* brokenheart.gif

#17 of 31 Old 06-17-2008, 05:25 PM

I'm sorry Karen...

Jackie will be 5 weeks on Thursday and I'm having a really hard time. She's got a tiny amount of blood in her stool, reflux and LOTS of gas. She wants to nurse ALL THE TIME. I started the total elimination diet on Sunday.

When does it get easier??? I want more than 20 minutes to myself. My older daughter was easier and slept more.
#18 of 31 Old 06-17-2008, 05:41 PM

It's going better now. My supply is good and he's gaining. I took him to the ped for a weight check and he's almost 9lbs, which is 1.5lbs higher than his birth weight and he was 5 weeks at the time.

I'm really upset about going back to work in a few weeks though. I can't pump, I get nothing and I know that my supply will dwindle quick once I can't nurse every two hours.
#19 of 31 Old 06-17-2008, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snazzy_mom View Post
I'm really upset about going back to work in a few weeks though. I can't pump, I get nothing and I know that my supply will dwindle quick once I can't nurse every two hours.
Do you have an electric pump? I ask because my friend never got anything w/a manual pump, but had success w/an electric one.

#20 of 31 Old 06-17-2008, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy2naomi View Post
I'm sorry Karen...

Jackie will be 5 weeks on Thursday and I'm having a really hard time. She's got a tiny amount of blood in her stool, reflux and LOTS of gas. She wants to nurse ALL THE TIME. I started the total elimination diet on Sunday.

When does it get easier??? I want more than 20 minutes to myself. My older daughter was easier and slept more.

#21 of 31 Old 06-17-2008, 06:33 PM

I love nursing my lil man. I never realized what a blessing it is to pick up your baby and nurse when he cries. After being stuck in ICU for 3 weeks and following their stupid feeding schedules/measurements etc...it feels so so so good I can't put into words to just feed him when he wants it, how long he wants. He has started to sleep with it now lol. He will nurse and then keep his latch and crash out. I have to sneak it out so I can roll over and not be stuck on my side. He's in love with his booby.

I get a little sore on the left. He has a small mouth and his tounge seems a tad shorter than my last. I have to get him a big mouthfull for him to realize it's there and to start sucking. On my left side for some reason he has a little more trouble and I have to aim at the roof of his mouth to hit his reflex and get him going. It makes that side a bit sore, especially on the first couple sucks. But all in all I have nothing to complain about.

When he was in ICU I had to pump every 3 hours to keep up a supply for when he started nursing. I had about 4 gallons worth of breastmilk in the freezer. We had to go shopping and I had to get rid of it. My midwives hooked me up with a local mama who had a breast reduction surgery and has low supply issues that she supplements. The milk bank wants to charge her 1.50 per ounce, which from what I hear is a screaming deal, but still so much money. Anyway-I donated all that milk to her...I can't tell you how great it felt to watch her hubby carry away that ice chest full of booby juice. It just made me feel like some really good stuff came out of a really awful experience. I just had to share. I wish I could milk all the babies who need it-there are so many. It is truly a blessing to be able to nurse and to have enough-I'm so grateful!
#22 of 31 Old 06-17-2008, 06:53 PM

Karen. My toes are feeling just fine. That was all truth there! My first two had formula only and indeed they are healthy and vibrant little people. Not in ANY way downplaying how great breast milk is for babies but it's not the end all and be all Mama.

Things are perfect here. I have plenty of milk for both, not having too many dietary issues (I avoid dairy out of practice now since the last three can't have it), and they normally give me plenty of sleep for a twin Mama. We tandem sometimes but mostly they don't nurse together as that leaves me armless and trapped on the couch. That's the signal for my 18 month old to go Trolling For Trouble. Well, and my 3 yo too, come to think of it!
#23 of 31 Old 06-17-2008, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanana View Post
Do you have an electric pump? I ask because my friend never got anything w/a manual pump, but had success w/an electric one.
I've tried manual and electric, even a medela with no luck, at most, I get about an ounce and that's after like a half an hour
#24 of 31 Old 06-17-2008, 08:09 PM

sounds like you may be having problems with letdown for the pump? medicinally you can get compounded oxytocin in a nasal spray to help. non-medicinally it can help to have pictures of baby right by the pumping area, clothes to smell from baby and even baby itself when possible.
#25 of 31 Old 06-17-2008, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by junipervt View Post
nak

we are doing great. funny though my left side produces 2x as much as my right. I'm a bit lopsided
I've got this too-- DH and I call my right breast 'the big scary one'.

Karen. I'm sorry you're having a hard time. You're a strong woman and a wonderful, devoted mama.
#26 of 31 Old 06-17-2008, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatureMama3 View Post
sounds like you may be having problems with letdown for the pump? medicinally you can get compounded oxytocin in a nasal spray to help. non-medicinally it can help to have pictures of baby right by the pumping area, clothes to smell from baby and even baby itself when possible.
W/dd1, I would nurse her and when done I would pump off the other side. That way I already had a letdown!

#27 of 31 Old 06-17-2008, 11:05 PM

Thanks to everyone for your kind thoughts and words of wisdom. It does help. My DS was mostly formula fed, and he is awesome... but I felt I missed so much with both his birth and then having nursing not work out despite my every effort. I thought this pregnancy and birth would be my chance at healing. I'm 40 now, and odds are quite good this was my last pg. Well the birth went all to hell (but at least for valid reasons this time) and I'm grieving that, on top of missed time as a newborn since she was in the special care nursery for 7 days. I am going to try my best in the next 9 weeks before I go back to work, and then all I can do is be satisfied with that. Thanks again for listening to me!
#28 of 31 Old 06-17-2008, 11:36 PM

Well started out with Sore nipple on my right side...which has now lead to a plugged duct that I have been dealing with since Thursday. It is a bit less painful now but good gosh...latch time is still WHOA on that side...and massaging that lump is a bit painful. But...uhh...my son loves nursing...lol. I try to take a deap breath and smile at him through my pain.

I never had any of these issues with my daughter so this is tough to deal with.

Almost crunchy but sometimes soggy, homeschooling mommy of 2. biggrinbounce.gif

I work from home and love showing others how to do it too!

http://www.empoweredhomeschooler.com  computergeek2.gif

#29 of 31 Old 06-18-2008, 01:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snazzy_mom View Post
I've tried manual and electric, even a medela with no luck, at most, I get about an ounce and that's after like a half an hour
Have you tried different size flanges? When I was searching as to why I couldn't nurse (before my IGT diagnoses) I read that a larger flange for your pump can make ALL the difference.
#30 of 31 Old 06-18-2008, 10:52 AM

we are going great, a bit of an over supply issue, but i am doing cluster feeding to help with that and it seems to be working. I love feeding my little gnome it is my favourite part of being a mum. At the moment her schedual is back to front so she is up all night want to feed the whole time and sleeps all day, but thats ok, a bit rough but ok. She sure does love boobie though, there is nothing like waking up and seeing that she is latched on smiling away to herself blissfully, i love that i can make her that happy.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page