When does the leaking stop????? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 35 Old 06-17-2008, 04:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Help! I can't go out into public for longer than a half hour! This is crazy.

Sara caffix.gif, Keith 2whistle.gif, Toby 6/08superhero.gif, Nomi 4/10blahblah.gif, Mona 1/12 hammer.gif

Mama of three, lover, student rabbi, spoonie, friend, musician, narcoleptic, space muffin, pretty much a dragon. Crunchy like matzoh.

#2 of 35 Old 06-17-2008, 04:33 PM

For dd1 it was a very long time ... maybe going on a year? But I wasn't leaking as bad as you. Cloth pads worked for me. Have you tried LilyPadz? Or maybe the shells that actually collect the milk? My friend used those and got enough milk to build quite a stash!

Mama to M (7/05) and S (5/08) my surprise !!!
#3 of 35 Old 06-17-2008, 04:52 PM

i tried the cloth pads and i didnt like them. this is gross, but they "stick" to me. I went back to my disposable lansinoh ones.
#4 of 35 Old 06-17-2008, 04:57 PM

I think it is after 6 weeks that (or is it 3 months?) that the hormonal control of breastmilk production switches over completely to supply and demand.

Have you tried block feeding? With my second I had to block feed up to 12 hours on one side (just pumping enough to relieve engorgement on the other side) then switch. i think it's generally suggested to start with 3 hour blocks per side though

Mum to DS (8yrs), DD (6yrs), and DS(3.5yrs). kid.gif

#5 of 35 Old 06-17-2008, 05:12 PM

With mt first I leaked the entire time he was breastfed. With my second I stopped leaking around four months. This time I'm still leaking (dd is 5 weeks) but it seems to be slowing down a bit.
#6 of 35 Old 06-17-2008, 05:25 PM - Thread Starter

I tried the shells, but I collect a shell full in 15 minutes. :

Already block feeding.

Sara caffix.gif, Keith 2whistle.gif, Toby 6/08superhero.gif, Nomi 4/10blahblah.gif, Mona 1/12 hammer.gif

Mama of three, lover, student rabbi, spoonie, friend, musician, narcoleptic, space muffin, pretty much a dragon. Crunchy like matzoh.

#7 of 35 Old 06-17-2008, 06:41 PM

good lord woman. we need to put some gallon jugs in your bra and send them off to the milk bank.

I am leaking a bit this time, but not near as bad as in the past. I remember around 3-4 months being able to get out without pads on. Unless something stimulates a let down, I seem to do okay. In fact my pads don't really get noticably wet until I am nursing. The side he is not on will leak like mad and need a new pad.
#8 of 35 Old 06-17-2008, 06:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarchWillow View Post
good lord woman. we need to put some gallon jugs in your bra and send them off to the milk bank.

Don't think I haven't considered it! If I'm still leaking like this in a few weeks, I'm going to go back to collecting some of it and see if I can make my 100oz to donate.

#9 of 35 Old 06-17-2008, 07:02 PM

I'm still having major leaking (and fountain spraying if I'm topless!) at 8.5 weeks. This is totally different from dd. I hope it lets up a little bit soon; I'd like to lose the bulls-eye look from my mega breast pads!
#10 of 35 Old 06-17-2008, 07:05 PM

With dd it stopped around 3 months.

-Angela
#11 of 35 Old 06-17-2008, 07:06 PM

I was lucky enough to leak (only during letdown) until DS1 was 6 months old! So not fun.

This time seems a little better.
If I need an extra few minutes I'll use cloth with a folded piece of papertowel and make sure to press my offending nipple if I can during feeding. It buys me extra time.
Mind you it's difficult if I have letdown in the grocery store randomly...can't exactly walk around poking my nipples in without offending someone lol!

DH and I - totally winging life with our four children, DS1 (6.5yrs), DS2 (5yrs), DD (3yrs) and DS3 (1)!

#12 of 35 Old 06-17-2008, 07:17 PM

Sara, you can also post on the finding your tribe forum for your area and see if anyone is looking for milk. Some changed hands here in this area recently as a result of just such a thread .

#13 of 35 Old 06-17-2008, 10:45 PM - Thread Starter

Shanana, good idea. If my supply keeps up like this, I will. When is it that your supply is supposed to regulate?

#14 of 35 Old 06-18-2008, 02:54 AM

I saw this and I wonder if this is the problem you are having with you & Toby. I noticed Sophie seems to show some of the symptoms and I think my overabundant supply is the issue. Sophie also bites, but only usually when my milk flow is at its fastest.

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/fast-letdown.html

We also have super fussy baby here in the evenings with cluster feeding which I though might be something I was doing wrong, but Kellymom assured me it is normal. That is what I was looking for advice for, but thought of you when I saw the above link.

Heather: Mama to my amazing boys A-14.5, C-13, & M-5.5, and my sweet girl S-2.5 and introducing our little surprise Liam Michael, born 12/28!
#15 of 35 Old 06-18-2008, 10:18 AM

Oh man! I feel your pain! I've gone through two boxes of disposable nursing pads the last week alone (cloth is like a joke...it's sopped and gross within such a short time I gave up) and also fountain spray from both breasts at random times and when I letdown. I was also like this with my last. I want to say that around 2months it stopped...but I can't remember for sure.
#16 of 35 Old 06-18-2008, 12:40 PM - Thread Starter

Heather, OMG. That is us! I'm already block nursing and nursing him uphill as well.

#17 of 35 Old 06-18-2008, 01:46 PM

Thanks for the link. That seems to be our problem here, too.

Serenity LDS mommy to 4 rambunctious kidlets
#18 of 35 Old 06-18-2008, 02:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by seren View Post
Thanks for the link. That seems to be our problem here, too.
We should start a support group. It's sooo frustrating!

#19 of 35 Old 06-18-2008, 02:09 PM

If you push your nipple straight in it "turns off the tap", so to speak. That might buy you some more time (that's how lilypadz work, they hold the nipple in). Anytime I feel myself begin to leak, that's what I do. I rarely wear pads.
#20 of 35 Old 06-18-2008, 02:14 PM

Mine clicks due to the fast letdown thing . . . makes her gassy, so she really needs burping. It kinda sucks - I had the same thing with #2 . . . actually, I wondered if it's so fast because I rarely leak, maybe it builds up too much (maybe pushing the nipples in works because I have the tendency to hold it in? Or maybe I have fast letdown because I push the nipples to not let it out? Hmmmm, chicken or the egg . . . )
#21 of 35 Old 06-18-2008, 03:37 PM - Thread Starter

Is anyone using Lilypadz? Do they work?

#22 of 35 Old 06-18-2008, 04:14 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
I'm so happy to see this thread. This is our problem.

I had no idea what was wrong. She clicks when she's nursing and "bites" me a lot when first latching on. I thought her latch was bad which had my confused because it looked fine!! I've been crying every night for the past 3 days because of this. My nipples have gotten sore (which they NEVER are) from the biting. She's the gassiest baby I've ever had.

Wow. Thanks for this thread.

Mommy to THREE sweet boys & ONE sweet girl + a newb due in February!  I need a nap. 
#23 of 35 Old 06-18-2008, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smeisnotapirate View Post
My mw suggested them for nighttime leaking, but then the leaking stopped (for the most part anyway). So I never tried them.

#24 of 35 Old 06-18-2008, 05:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingmommyhood View Post
AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
I'm so happy to see this thread. This is our problem.

I had no idea what was wrong. She clicks when she's nursing and "bites" me a lot when first latching on. I thought her latch was bad which had my confused because it looked fine!! I've been crying every night for the past 3 days because of this. My nipples have gotten sore (which they NEVER are) from the biting. She's the gassiest baby I've ever had.

Wow. Thanks for this thread.

You're in good company.

I don't think Toby is gassy, though. I get maybe one burp out of him and then he's zonked.

#25 of 35 Old 06-18-2008, 06:32 PM

I'm finding the lilypadz aren't holding the niagara falls of milk that occurs for me. Maybe when my supply regulates a little more. But for now definitely not!
#26 of 35 Old 06-18-2008, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smeisnotapirate View Post
I have overactive letdown and oversupply issues too. I used Lily Padz last time and LOVED them. However I won't start using them for probably another month yet, just for my supply's sake. I find they work really well, even for a super soaker like me (I leaked a TON for about 5-6 months I think), they just took lots of practice to get the hang of how *I* needed to use them. But I prefer them because of how they never show through clothing...that's actually why I got them in the first place.

Me (27) DH (30)...9 Years

DD (7) ~ DD (4) ~ DS (3)

Praying our April 2013 baby sticks!! joy.gif

Babies in Heaven...angel.gif 9/04 angel.gif 2/05 angel.gif 3/11 angel.gif 4/11 angel.gif 6/11 angel.gif 11/11 angel.gif 2/12 (along with my tube greensad.gif )

#27 of 35 Old 06-18-2008, 07:36 PM

I used them with dd1 (who I leaked with) - they always freaked me out a bit, though, because I was always worried that they might increase the likelihood of engorgement or mastitis (totally my own fear, have no idea if there's a basis for it) - they did work, but you have to make sure you put them on right, otherwise they won't work.
#28 of 35 Old 06-18-2008, 08:04 PM

I've got the same problem. Poor Elijah keeps popping off when the letdown is too much and ends up squirted in the face.

For leaking I've been using Medela shells (the ones for inverted nipples because a friend said they were the BEST for sore nipples) an Advent disposable or a Gerber cloth breast pad fits right inside. I have to have double protection for going outside!

Also pumping in the morning seems to be helping too.

Breeder Mama: = wife to an amazing man + mama to J-Bear (07/02) and E-Train (06/08), nanny to Little Bird (07/10).

#29 of 35 Old 06-18-2008, 11:34 PM - Thread Starter

Just got Lilypadz. Will post further later, but I'm impressed with my first nursing experience!

#30 of 35 Old 06-19-2008, 10:43 AM

Maybe I need to give my lilypadz another shot. I must not be using them completely correctly. I'm out of breastpads after this am so it's actually good timing LOL

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page