Stupd Things Mothers Say - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 06-28-2008, 01:27 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have read some stories on the Internet, heard them from my friends, but my mom (and actually my whole family and dh's family) has always been super supportive of us. This is my third child, so you'd think if my mom was gonna say something stupid she'd done it by now, but no. Today she came to town and suggested that Sage, at 7 weeks, needs to exercise! At first, I thought she was kidding. DH made a joke about getting him a treadmill. Then we realized, she wasn't kidding and actually suggested we talk to the pediatrican about his weight! OMG! What a nut!!!
#2 of 8 Old 06-30-2008, 07:15 PM

oh my!

really?!?

~jen~ )O( mama to k 07/05 o 5/08 and c 12/09
#3 of 8 Old 06-30-2008, 09:16 PM

Oh wow!
My mother actually did talk to me about my oldest daughter's weight before she was even a year old! Her weight was perfectly normal, and she definitely had healthy-looking baby fat all over her body. She was soooo adorable, and I've seen babies much bigger than her. Still, my mother thought we needed to do something to cut her calories.... She was 100% breastfed at the time.
With my firstborn, he was rather skinny once he crossed over to toddlerhood. His Dr. recommended we add butter and cream to all of his meals! Yuck! We didn't, and he's at a healthy weight to this day (he's 10 years old).
Is your Mom afraid that your 7-week old is turning into a couch potato??
He IS getting a lot of exercise just by being a baby.

Mom of 4
#4 of 8 Old 07-01-2008, 02:37 PM

tell her he's too busy growing the rest of his skull to exercise.

My family seems a little obsessed with James' weight, but I think its because he had such a difficult time eating in the beginning. He's making up for it though...he gains an average of 2 ounces a day!
#5 of 8 Old 07-01-2008, 10:07 PM

dramatic sarcasim ahead....

So, just how fat is this obese little one?

"To err is human, to forgive, canine." - Unknown
#6 of 8 Old 07-02-2008, 12:26 AM - Thread Starter

Sage is over 12 pounds but he's also 25 inches tall (that was at his 6 week visit). He's just a big guy, very tall, and kinda chunky. I think my mom's scale is off cause both my other kids were super skinny, 5th percentile. She made another comment after that that maybe I shouldn't always feed him when he's hungry. Her husband made her find some of my old baby pics and low and behold- he looks just like me! Ha! That shut her up, for a while anyway ;-)
#7 of 8 Old 07-02-2008, 09:37 AM

I did hear a news story just in the last day or two that suggested the exercising your little one might reduce the risks of SIDS. However, how crazy to suggest that a newborn is over weight.
#8 of 8 Old 07-02-2008, 10:19 PM

He sounds fabulously yummy and I want to chew on him! My two previous babes have been skinny ones too. This one is chubbier but not really chubby. I just love fat little babies! So cute and smooshie....and perfectly healthy!

"To err is human, to forgive, canine." - Unknown

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page