Progressive Phonics - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 09-23-2009, 03:36 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Product/Service name: Progressive Phonics

Brief description of product/service:

Progressive Phonics is an all-in-one reading program, from learning the alphabet to advanced phonics, that is designed to be easy, fun, and totally free. You can choose where to start based on your child's needs and go at their own pace.

The site claims that anyone can teach a child to read and write in just a few minutes a day, which makes it ideal for parents, teachers, tutors, volunteers and home-schoolers.

No experience is necessary to use this as a parent. Just pick a book and start reading it with your child.

Matching handwriting worksheets and activity sheets for each book. As the site claims, when children write what they learn, they learn it better.

The lessons are meant to teach the essential sight-words (phonics rule-breakers).

Instant access -- download and use. (Free registration required, but there are sample books you can look at before registering.)

The books can be read on-screen or printed on your color printer. Each book takes 4--8 minutes to print and uses as little ink and paper as possible. (We have not printed so I cannot say how much ink and paper it actually uses)

Store/Site of purchase: www.progressivephonics.com

Price: FREE

How long have you used this product/service? Just this week with my 4 and 6 year old sons.

Performance: It worked great! My 4 year old liked the first part of the first alphabetti book the best, and then reached his limit and decided to just listen to his brother read. My 6 year old continued on and finished the first alphabetti book and then tried out the first beginning phonics book.

That is as far as we got, but it seems like something we could repeat a few more times because it held the kids' interest and their skills already grew just from reading the little we did together. My 6 year old asked to read the first alphabetti story again as he thought it was so funny! It was short, the perfect length to learn the letters and their sounds and how to sound out the words and still kept their attention, while just long enough to be a story that interested the kids.

Quality: Easy to navigate the website, graphics and story content is good quality.

Additional Comments:

As for free reading lessons or programs, we have been using www.starfall.com for at least 3 years and this program reminds me of Starfall in the way that it is free, easy to use, and kid and parent friendly. It is a little different in that Progressive Phonics has the parent and child reading together and the stories are no animated.

The instructions for each booklet are easy to follow. The parent reads the part in black, child reads the part in red, with help from the parent as needed.

I give it .

Mama to DS (10), DS (8), DS (5), DD (3), & DD (6 months).
Lucky Wife to My Techy DH for 11 years.
We stillheart.gif Homebirth, Full-term Breastfeeding,
Connection Parenting, Life Learning, our LDS faith.
mdcblog5.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 2 Old 10-06-2009, 01:37 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
How long have you used this product/service? About a month.

Performance: My daughter has made amazing progress using this reading program. When we started it, she could read a few words in isolation, but couldn't read a sentence. Now, about a month later, she can read, with reasonable fluency, sentences like, "The dog and the cat got on the bus." She loves the "read together" format and the memory games. She is not the kind of kid who's willing to read the same thing more than once or do anything that smacks of "practicing reading," but the memory game does help her attain fluency.

Quality: Pretty good. I have found two or three typos in the six books we've used, but that's really the only minor criticism I have. The type and illustrations are clear, and the overall design is appealing.

Would you purchase this product/service again? I definitely plan to continue using it.

I give it (How many thumbs up out of five?):

Sonja , 40, married to DH (42) since 5-29-93, DD born 11-3-2004, DS born 1-18-2007.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page