Calvert K - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-09-2007, 03:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Product/Service name: Calvert K (www.calvertschool.org)

Brief description of product/service: K Curriculum in a box from a day school thata 100 plus year history

Store/Site of purchase:
www.calvertschool.org
Price:
How long have you used this product/service?
six weeks
Performance:
The curriculm is well presented with excellent teacher guides, student texts, readers and read alouds.
Quality:
The quality is very good. My only issues is that I should have ordered the 1st grade as my DS already knows almost all the material
Customer Service/Communication:
Very good.
Would you purchase this product/service again?
Yes, however, because DS is ahead of the game in some areas we are going to put together our own curriculum for the fall.
Have you made a complaint to the company about the product/service? If yes, please provide details of any resolution or lack thereof.

Additional Comments:

I give it (How many thumbs up out of five?):

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-01-2007, 05:59 PM

We have the PK and we have all enjoyed it.
It has everything down to paper clips.
I am 95% sure we will get the K when he is done with the PK, unless something else that I think would work came along.
I just love how it has everything. Some things I dont do from it but its nice to still have it there to choose from.

I would give it 4 out of 5 for the PK.
Old 03-31-2008, 05:49 PM

We have PK and K. I think that some areas are definitely easier than I thought they would be for the grade level, but nothing to ridiculous. We are just moving along quicker and will move to the next level when we are finished. I have a feeling it will all balance out. The customer service really is great.

I'd give them 4 out of 5 each just because nothing is perfect.
Old 04-09-2008, 09:40 PM

I found Calvert (for 3, 4, 5, 6) absolutely perfect- that was with the teaching service. If Calvert offered high school, my kid would be enrolled ten minutes ago.
Old 09-16-2008, 09:03 PM

Product/Service name: Calvert PK

Brief description of product/service: PK curriculum and supplies

Store/Site of purchase: http://www.calvertschool.org/home-school/

Price: $310.00 (free shipping)

How long have you used this product/service? 3 months now

Performance: Includes all lesson plans, books, manipulatives, supplies, and all have been very easy to use. It is supposed to be good to start with 4 year old children.

Quality: My DS is 3 and after looking through all the materials was surprised to find that my DS knows all the material. The daily schedule is estimated to be around 3 hours a day, but so far no schedule has taken over an hour to complete. In fact, most days we can do 2-3 lessons. My DS loves all the materials except for the book of short stories and poems. This book doesn't have pics and the stories are 1.5-2 pages long (regular size printer paper). . .they tend to lose his interest quickly (even though he can read picture books for hours at a time).

Customer Service/Communication: Fantastic!!

Would you purchase this product/service again? Yes, but I would go up to Kindergarten; in fact, I think we will zoom through the pre-K then move on to kinder as soon as we can. I would eventually like to make my own curriculum, but right now this is the easiest for my family.

Have you made a complaint to the company about the product/service? No complaints.

Additional Comments: I am very happy with the service, the online resources available, and the materials I received (even if they are too easy). I will continue with Calvert for the time being.

I give it (How many thumbs up out of five?): 4 thumbs (lost 0.5 because it's so easy, but perhaps if I had started it at 2 with him it would have been better and another 0.5 because of the stories and poems book--I don't know how any pre-K child can get through those stories).

Barbara:  an always learning SAHM of Ilana (11) and Aiden (8) living in Belgium with my amazing husband.

Old 09-17-2008, 03:19 AM

We got Calvert Pre-K and although I REALLY wanted it to work, it just didn't happen for us.

In a nutshell I think it is WAY too much "seat work" for a kid that age. It wasn't nearly challenging or engaging enough for DS. DS found it to be too repetitive too. We are making the radical switch to unschooling for now, and may reconsider Calvert again for the older grades (3rd and beyond?)

I'll probably sell my set on Ebay

Mama to Zach 6-18-04 & Naia 10-13-10 Partner to the sweetest DH. Loving our life afloat. TV Free!
Old 10-14-2009, 12:01 AM

We us Calvert K and 5. My 5 year old seems beyond some of the K work. I find myself adding things to fill up his day and make it more interesting. I love the grade 5!
Old 10-15-2009, 02:38 PM

My oldest son used Calvert K5, 1st gr, and is now in second grade. My middle son just started K4.

K4 takes maybe 20 mintues to complete a lesson. Really. There is *very* little to do each day. Some may find that a plus, actually. My 4.5 yo ds loves the manipulatives, and is finding himself drawn into the fine-motor activities even though he tries his hardest to avoid that kind of stuff in daily life.

K5 was great, lots of manipulatives and colorful fun stuff. My oldest was 5 when he started, and complete it in 2 months, basically just taking the tests. He already knew the stuff, but was required to complete it because of the regs our cyberschool has.

1st grade was similar.

I would give Calvert 4 out of 5. I generally really like it. I love that the lessons are so complete, and that everything we need is provided.

User Tag List