Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 09-14-2007, 12:20 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Product/Service name:

History Odyssey Ancients Level One

Brief description of product/service:

The Study Guide is a series of secular history lesson plans which follow the Classical model of chronological history covered in four year sequences with three iterations. Geography and literature (though to a lesser degree in this first of the series) are integrated. Maps are included with the Study Guide.

Store/Site of purchase:

Classical Home Education

Price:

$105 for package; $20 for Usborne Internet Linked Encyclopedia of World History (used for four years); $25 for A Child's History of the World

Many books in the package can be purchased used or borrowed from the library. The History Odyssey Ancients Level One Study Guide alone is $28.

How long have you used this product/service?

Almost one year. We're taking ancients very slowly with lots of supplemental reading (we spent three months on Ancient Greece alone -- 3 lessons worth in HO). The program could easily be covered in 35 weeks.

Performance:

HO Ancients Level One lesson plans co-ordinate: Usborne Internet Linked Encyclopedia of World History (spine); Story of the World Vol. 1 (narrative); A Child's History of the World (optional narrative); Ancient Egyptians and Their Neighbors and Ancient Israelites and Their Neighbors (activity guides). In addition, there are optional supplemental reading lists for most lessons.

Narrations are not formally part of the first year lesson plans, though you can add them if you wish. Student work includes copywork (dictionary definitions), labeling and coloring maps, and drawing something discussed in lessons. There is a lot of room within the lessons for flexibility. A craft-loving family can do more hands-on activities, while we do lots of supplemental reading, especially folk tales, myths, epics, and literature.

Quality:

A second edition has been released with maps specifically generated for the lessons and a more attractively laid out guide.

Customer Service/Communication:

none

Would you purchase this product/service again?

Yes, we intend to follow the series at least through Level One.

Have you made a complaint to the company about the product/service? If yes, please provide details of any resolution or lack thereof.

None.

Additional Comments:

Yes, I could spend time and energy to come up with a similar program. I like HO because I have the flexibility to add material without having to worry about the base program.

I give it (How many thumbs up out of five?):

I'd actually give it 4.5, but there's no half thumb smiley.
#2 of 2 Old 10-30-2008, 02:58 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
History Odyssey
Product/Service name:

History Odyssey Ancients Level One

Brief description of product/service:

The Study Guide is a series of secular history lesson plans which follow the Classical model of chronological history covered in four year sequences with three iterations. Geography and literature (though to a lesser degree in this first of the series) are integrated. Maps are included with the Study Guide.

Store/Site of purchase:

Pandia Press http://www.pandiapress.com/history_odyssey.htm

Price:

Same as the OP but I purchased the electronic copy of the book 1 study guide.

How long have you used this product/service?

1 month, we are doing one lesson per month

Performance:

Not much that I can think of to add to the OP's description

Quality:

Excellent and I really like the ease of the download vs a hard copy book

Customer Service/Communication:

none

Would you purchase this product/service again?

Yes

Have you made a complaint to the company about the product/service? If yes, please provide details of any resolution or lack thereof.

None.

Additional Comments:

If your local library doesn't have an easy way to browse, hold, and ILL books this might be a tough go because it uses extensive literature supplements.

I give it (How many thumbs up out of five?):
5, it's perfect for folks wishing to teach via literature

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page