Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 09-17-2007, 12:20 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Product/Service name:

Singapore Math: Primary Math 2A/2B/3A/3B/4A

Brief description of product/service:

Primary Math is a program formerly used by Singapore as state curriculum. Singaporean students traditionally do very well in math compared to the rest of the world, and much better U.S. students. It doesn't cover as many topics as a typical state (US) scope and sequence, favoring fewer topics in greater depth. US editions are available for all the material using US measurements in addition to Metric. The Home Instructor's Guide is a homeschool customized version of the classroom Teacher's Guide.

Here's the FAQ at SingporeMath.com, and charts showing Scope and Sequence.

Store/Site of purchase:

SingporeMath.com

Price:

Each year is divided into two semesters. Here's an example year for us:

Texts 3A/3B: 2 @ $8.50
Intensive Practice (IP) 3A/3B (we use in lieu of workbook): 2 @ $8.50
Challenging Word Problems (CWP): 1 @ $8
Home Instructor's Guide (HIG) 3A/3B: 2 @ $16.50
CD-ROM (covers two full years, 3A/3B,4A,4B): $31.50

Workbooks are consumable, Texts and HIGs are not.

How long have you used this product/service?

About 2 years

Performance:

We came to Singapore from RightStart, a similar Asian style math program. Singapore is a better fit for DD1 for a number of reasons:

(1) Singapore offers her control over pacing. It is not scripted and the text is designed to be read by the student.

(2) Singapore is easily customized. Students strong in math can do the Intensive Practice texts, either in addition to or in lieu of the Workbooks. Students needing extra practice or reinforcement can use the Extra Practice books.

(3) Word Problems. Singapore uses a bar system for diagramming word problems. The problems themselves are more complex than other popular homeschooling programs. I highly recommend the CWP books even for those not using Singapore.

Quality:

I am pleased with both the content of the program and its fit for DD1, and am very impressed with the Intensive Practice books. They not only provide more challenging problems than the core course materials, but they also require the student to think beyond the material just mastered.

Customer Service/Communication:

Good. They even phoned when I'd ordered the original version by mistake, rather than the US version, saving me the cost and time of returning the order.

Would you purchase this product/service again?

We intend to stay with it at least through 6B.

Have you made a complaint to the company about the product/service? If yes, please provide details of any resolution or lack thereof.

No.

Additional Comments:

Other Singapore programs are available, including other Math programs.

I give it (How many thumbs up out of five?):
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 05-12-2008, 04:04 PM

We did Singapore math 3A thru 6B. It was a great foundation.
#3 of 7 Old 10-23-2008, 01:14 PM

We LOVe, LOVE, LOVE them!! REALLY!!

Singapore Maths has transformed a girl who hated and could not understand math for the life of her, to somebody who not only loves it, but who can do super complicated multi step problems with ease!!

My kids are way ahead of their peers in Math, and it is absolutely no sweat to teach them! The textbook builds up the concept from the very basic, and the kids actually understand the concept and learn to develop the ideas on their own. I remember being told "because" when I I could understand the why of something in Math as a child. My children know why ALWAYS!

We use My Pals Are Here, which is the international version and which comes with many more consumables. I always buy 3 workbooks for each textbook: the practice book, the homework book and the "reteach" book (which is for extra reinforcement of the subject) They also sell an enrichment book with extra challenging problems and a test book.

I recommend Singapore to everyone I know. FANTASTIC!

Oh, I also love Singapore Science books, but that's another thread

If you live in the UK, www.ichtusresources.co.uk is the place to get them
#4 of 7 Old 10-23-2008, 01:18 PM

Oh, I forgot to say: We have been using Singapore Math books since my kids were in books 2B (in October 2006).
They are about to begin books 5A (October 2008)

And another thing: All books have "Challenging Practices" in the end of the chapter + "Putting on your thinking Caps" which are the extra challenging exercises
#5 of 7 Old 06-26-2010, 01:12 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I used this all the way through 6B. I had some frustrations along the way. If you do not continue with the higher maths from Singapore, I would recommend doing the first few books of Keys to Algebra before moving on to American Algebra as there are some gaps. Also, for suppliments, I did not care for the ones from Singapore Math. I think it is better to suppliment with the Keys to Series and math drill type fun computer programs.

That being said, I think Singapore Math is the one of the best available out there right now. They do not use calculators at all during the series which is really important for math development. I do hear a lot of people claim calculators are no big deal. Then later, those same parents cannot seem to understand why their children cannot handle basic algebra or simple factoring. Many other programs teach through rote memorization. When you do that, the child forgets anything they memorized when they go just a week or a few weeks without constant review. Since they never get the concepts or the why they are doing certain things, they fail big time in the high math areas. Singapore Math definitely teaches the concepts.

SO, overall, I do recommend Singapore Math. I am using it for my younger children now so they are working their way through the series too.
#6 of 7 Old 08-20-2010, 09:34 PM

I have really liked Singapore Maths too. I use it alongside Miquon because they each have a different focus, and together they seem to really give my son a great foundation.

Mom to 10yo Autistic Wonder Boy and 6yo Inquisitive Fireball Girl . December birthdays.

#7 of 7 Old 09-05-2010, 10:24 AM

We have been unschooling and we have struggled with Math. Another homeschooling mom recommended Singapore Math and we are really enjoying it.

My son is actually LAUGHING while we work on it. Not that he does not get frustrated, he does, but we get through it a lot quicker and then he is able to recognize that he actually can do the work when he calms down.

The placement test was helpful because my son could be 2nd or 3rd grade. While he is advanced in reading and science, he is closer to 2nd grade because he required a fair amount of help with the pre-test. He was a little disappointed he was not in 3rd grade Math, but when I explained to him it would add another year to him taking the required tests for the School District, he was just fine with it!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page