Calvert Spelling CD-ROMs - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 1 Old 09-27-2007, 07:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Product/Service name:

Calvert 3rd Grade Spelling and Vocabulary (CD-ROM)

Brief description of product/service:

CD-ROM based spelling program. There are 14 new list words each week (Chapter),

Day 1: Pretest
Day 2: Lesson
Day 3: Activities
Day 4: Test/Quiz
Day 5: Cumulative Review

It runs on various Windows OS's and OSX.

Store/Site of purchase:

Calvert Store

Price:

$25 including shipping

How long have you used this product/service?

4 days

Performance:

This was not a good fit for DD1, a very strong sight reader. Too great a portion of the activities were of the "pick out the word spelled correctly" variety. She could do this until the cows came home without learning how to generate a word herself. [We have had success with another program, so I know that she's capable of learning spelling... the issue was fit and method.]

A major weakness in the program is a lack of flexibility: There's no way to add your own list words, and no way to go back and re-do the activities until the entire Chapter is completed. The cumulative review doesn't automatically reveal the correct spelling when a mistake is made, it just goes to the next word. Further, it doesn't appear to customize itself to any great extent to the needs of the student other than omitting words spelled correctly in the pretest from that Chapter's activities. I went ahead a few chapters myself out of curiousity, so I'm not just basing this observation of DD1's experience.

Quality:

The program didn't crash but was frustrating for DD1 to use: Not only did it not help her to spell, but also she was forced to take the final quiz before being able to repeat activities. One feature she liked was an optional exercise using a simplified word processor with a spell check. She wrote a rather involved story.

Customer Service/Communication:

Good. We had a problem with the order that was quickly rectified and shipping was upgraded.

Would you purchase this product/service again?

No.

Have you made a complaint to the company about the product/service? If yes, please provide details of any resolution or lack thereof.

No.

Additional Comments:

Edited to add:

This is the new version of the program. It was redesigned in 2006. There are many reviews online of the old version, which introduced new words every lesson.

I give it (How many thumbs up out of five?):

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page